The Student Room Group

Whats it like working for M&S as a customer assistant

Got offered a christmas temp position at Marks and spencers and wanted to know whats it like working there. I'm in uni full time and was wondering if its a good first retail job to have.
I worked there as a Christmas temp initially and then got kept on. They looked after me when I was going through a very difficult time in my life. They’re still a well respected company and will look good on your CV. If they still have staff shop it’s brilliant- the discount is good too.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by princessmaire80
I worked there as a Christmas temp initially and then got kept on. They looked after me when I was going through a very difficult time in my life. They’re still a well respected company and will look good on your CV. If they still have staff shop it’s brilliant- the discount is good too.

Thank you for the reply! How quickly did they give you specifics about your shifts? Its about to be a week since they told me I got the job and they said they would send an email with information about rotas and all the adminy side of things but I havent received anything, is that normal or should I try to contact them? I dont want to seem clingy before I've even started haha
Original post by flipflop12345
Thank you for the reply! How quickly did they give you specifics about your shifts? Its about to be a week since they told me I got the job and they said they would send an email with information about rotas and all the adminy side of things but I havent received anything, is that normal or should I try to contact them? I dont want to seem clingy before I've even started haha

Hi!! I'm guessing it's been over a year since you got the job as a customer assistant at Marks and Spencer. What was it like???? I have an interview tomorrow and a bit nervous about what to expect, and what the role entails.

Hi, I used to work at marks and spencers for a few months, was on a permanent contract but I started out as a christmas temp in clothing and home. I would contact them just in case and ask whether you'll have an induction day; I found out when I was meant to start on my induction day as well as what time and where I needed to be. You'll be left out of the loop on the first few shifts but they get you sorted really quicky on teams where you'll be able to find out what shifts your manager's put you down as. Would be worth checking on your contract; they might have stipulated what hours you're meant to do as well as what days of the week you'd be coming in on or it could be on the initial job posting on the website mandsrecruitment if you still have access to that.
I hope you enjoy your time there; it's pretty rough at the start but if you do get to stay on it becomes so much better post christmas :smile: on the flip side you might find that a lot of the older colleagues backchat new hires quite a lot; at least this was the case for my floor where they'd go into a corner of the shop and have a go at each and every one of us lol. Best thing imo about marks and spencer is the pay you get for what you do, not sure of the hourly rate rn i think its 10.20? depends on the location of the store and also you get time and a half (1.5xbasic hour pay) on bank holidays. Also the management at my store was brilliant, they were all super duper nice and always checked in on you to make sure you were settling in ok. Feel free to ask any questions if you do have any, I loved my time there and wouldn't have left if it weren't for entrance exams and interviews :biggrin:
Reply 5

hey, just wondering did you hear back? I’m literally going through the exact same thing where I was hired almost a week ago but didn’t receive an email. If I don’t soon I think I’ll go in and ask but did you end up getting the email?
Reply 6
Hi, I went through the interview process and they told me they’d email if I got the job or not but 2 weeks passed and nothing. It says under consideration on the website. It’s very unprofessional to not send an email to unsuccessful candidates.
Reply 7
Original post by HattieC20
Hi, I went through the interview process and they told me they’d email if I got the job or not but 2 weeks passed and nothing. It says under consideration on the website. It’s very unprofessional to not send an email to unsuccessful candidates.

exactly

something similar happened to me a couple of years back. I applied, had an interview and didn’t even hear back from them. Not even an automated email saying I didn’t get the job.

I got a temporary job at marks and Spencer’s now though! Was a bit rough but they contacted me in a week after the interview
Reply 9
Original post by Hi34344
exactly

Unfortunately, lots of companies do not communicate with interviewees afterwards, merely saying 'if you don't hear from us within a couple of XXX, assume you haven't got the job', which is upsetting after all the effort you have put in. Other places do send an email, for instance, but it is often standard text without saying why you haven't been successful. To see things from their point of view, recruitment can be a pressurised job, and often there is little time to respond to everyone, especially as some jobs can attract many applications. All the big retailers should make an effort, however, but how they initially respond to you isn't always indicative of how the job will turn out and how good or bad a company is, should you apply again and get offered the role.

Good morning Hattie, if I was you, I would pick up the phone and chase this up. There could be a number of reasons why you’ve not had a reply back. Postal issues. Printer running out of paper. When dealing with mass recruitment, it is so easy for one to go missing. I’m sure there will be a reasonable explanation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending