The Student Room Group

predict your gcse grades!! (2023-2024)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by milktee
i've seen a-level students do this, so why not make one for us gcse students 🤞

i'm hoping for all 9s, but these are my more realistic predictions:

Spoiler

coming back here on thursday 22nd august 2024 so let's all work hard in these 3 months (100 days from now 🚨🚨🚨) to achieve our predicted and preferred gcse grades 💪💪

:woo: GOOD LUCK!! :woo:

my predicted grades:

combined science = 4-4 (lol)
sociology = 4 (i think my teacher was being a bit generous icl)
maths = 8
eng lang = 9
eng lit = 7
geography = 6
religious studies = 9
music = 8
business studies = 8

anyways gl gang
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 61
Original post by maveline
i hope i don't get humbled after this

english lang - 8
english lit - 8
maths - 9 (praying 🙏)
sociology - 8
combined science trilogy - 98
geography - 8
german - 8 or 9
dit - Distinction
music - Merit

okok so!! i have some updates on some of my results for my february mocks:

english lang: 9 (barely)
english lit: not fully marked yet BUT my lord of the flies essay got 27/30 + 4 spag (grade 9)
maths paper 1: 8, one mark off of a 9 ... 💀
maths paper 2: will be fully marked by tomorrow
maths paper 3: doing it next thursday
geography: 9 (on paper 1 and paper 2!! only dropped 9 marks on the physical paper)
sociology: 9 (on both papers!!!)
physics p1: 9
chemistry p1: 9
german listening: 9
german reading: 9 (only dropped 6 marks i think!!)
german writing: not been marked yet

i'm super proud of myself ahhhh i'm seeing so much improvement with myself and my timing for my subjects, especially with english, sociology and geography!! i'm hoping i can keep this up for the real exam. best of luck to everyone else :smile:
Reply 62

english lit: not fully marked yet BUT my lord of the flies essay got 27/30 + 4 spag (grade 9)
geography: 9 (on paper 1 and paper 2!! only dropped 9 marks on the physical paper)

i'm super proud of myself ahhhh i'm seeing so much improvement with myself and my timing for my subjects, especially with english, sociology and geography!! i'm hoping i can keep this up for the real exam. best of luck to everyone else :smile:
OMG THOSE GRADES ARE AMAZINGG 💪💪 also just wanted to askk, how do you revise for english literature, especially like quotes and all? english is my weakest subject so i literally ask anyone who's good at english for tips, hope that's okay with you 😭😭
Reply 63
Original post by milktee

OMG THOSE GRADES ARE AMAZINGG 💪💪 also just wanted to askk, how do you revise for english literature, especially like quotes and all? english is my weakest subject so i literally ask anyone who's good at english for tips, hope that's okay with you 😭😭

thank you so much!!! 💞

english revision techniques... aha.. good question!... err, let me think..

for poetry, i like to look at physicsandmathstutor (PMT) where they post an analysis for each poem (i do power and conflict) and practise annotating them every once in a while. some people make flashcards on quizlet for them too. some guy did some pretty good annotations for Kamikaze which i took.

in terms of lord of the flies, i've just been looking online at different essays about different themes in the novel, such as civilisation vs savagery, good vs evil Nd how there are constant biblical allusions in the novel. i also like watching videos on youtube about different views on different quotes: it's interesting to gain an insight to others' opinions on quotations and seeing these different interpretations could allow you to adapt different ideas about the same quote to different questions

in terms of english language (paper 2), i just looked up online how you'd structure your Q5 response for an article, letter and speech. savemyexams had some pretty good advice that would be worth reading

as for the other questions on english language in general, i never really revised for them, only practised structuring an answer in class. you've probably heard of the term "PEEEL" paragraphs, where you make a point, include evidence, explain it, explore it and link it back to the questions. my teacher often says 4 quotes is the go-to for any english question.

hope this helps! sorry if you were expecting more, english is probably the subject i've neglected most so i don't actually have a set revision technique for it 😭
Reply 64

thank you so much!!! 💞

for poetry, i like to look at physicsandmathstutor (PMT) where they post an analysis for each poem (i do power and conflict) and practise annotating them every once in a while. some people make flashcards on quizlet for them too. some guy did some pretty good annotations for Kamikaze which i took.

in terms of lord of the flies, i've just been looking online at different essays about different themes in the novel, such as civilisation vs savagery, good vs evil Nd how there are constant biblical allusions in the novel. i also like watching videos on youtube about different views on different quotes: it's interesting to gain an insight to others' opinions on quotations and seeing these different interpretations could allow you to adapt different ideas about the same quote to different questions

in terms of english language (paper 2), i just looked up online how you'd structure your Q5 response for an article, letter and speech. savemyexams had some pretty good advice that would be worth reading

as for the other questions on english language in general, i never really revised for them, only practised structuring an answer in class. you've probably heard of the term "PEEEL" paragraphs, where you make a point, include evidence, explain it, explore it and link it back to the questions. my teacher often says 4 quotes is the go-to for any english question.

hope this helps! sorry if you were expecting more, english is probably the subject i've neglected most so i don't actually have a set revision technique for it 😭
THANK YOU SO MUCH this helps a lottt 🤍🤍 what channel to you tend to watch on yt for videos?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by milktee

thank you so much!!! 💞

THANK YOU SO MUCH this helps a lottt 🤍🤍 what channel to you tend to watch on yt for videos?

of course!! 💞

to be honest, i don't have a specific channel that i watch. i've watched mr bruff for poetry (he also does lord of the flies) and mr everything english for macbeth though.

(small update on my maths paper 2 exam: i got a grade 9!! (92/100 marks!!) i'm so proud of myself ahh :,))
Reply 66

of course!! 💞

to be honest, i don't have a specific channel that i watch. i've watched mr bruff for poetry (he also does lord of the flies) and mr everything english for macbeth though.

(small update on my maths paper 2 exam: i got a grade 9!! (92/100 marks!!) i'm so proud of myself ahh :,))
ahhh alright thank you!!
OMG WELL DONEE FOR MATHS, so proud of you 🤍🤍
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by milktee

of course!! 💞

ahhh alright thank you!!

THANK YOU !!! 💞
Reply 68
ahhh alright thank you!!

THANK YOU !!! 💞

OF COURSE 🤍
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by milktee
ahhh alright thank you!!

THANK YOU !!! 💞
OF COURSE 🤍

how did you perform in your mocks? 😋 any other weak areas for you?
Reply 70
THANK YOU !!! 💞
OF COURSE 🤍

they were genuinely so mid, like not too bad not too good 😭 my grades were from 9-5 so i literally got the whole range in 💀
i think my main weak area is just english currently
i'll just put my mock scores here for reference

Spoiler

okay on second thought there were kind of bad 😭😭 I PROMISE I'M NOT DUMB its just because i only started revising in the christmas holidays (my mocks were the day after the holidays) and i only revised for the sciences, nothing else 😔
i was 1 mark off a 7 in english language which sucked and the reason why english lit was so bad was my time management. we did the poetry paper and i spent 1 hour 10 mins on section A and only 10 mins on section b (unseen poetry) 😭😭
and then i have no idea what happened with maths bcs i'm always getting over 90% in exams, so i literally cried bcs i did so bad 😔 it was probably bcs i did no revision for it either
sorry for the rant haha, just wanted to let you know how they went <3
Original post by milktee
OF COURSE 🤍

they were genuinely so mid, like not too bad not too good 😭 my grades were from 9-5 so i literally got the whole range in 💀
i think my main weak area is just english currently
i'll just put my mock scores here for reference

Spoiler

okay on second thought there were kind of bad 😭😭 I PROMISE I'M NOT DUMB its just because i only started revising in the christmas holidays (my mocks were the day after the holidays) and i only revised for the sciences, nothing else 😔
i was 1 mark off a 7 in english language which sucked and the reason why english lit was so bad was my time management. we did the poetry paper and i spent 1 hour 10 mins on section A and only 10 mins on section b (unseen poetry) 😭😭
and then i have no idea what happened with maths bcs i'm always getting over 90% in exams, so i literally cried bcs i did so bad 😔 it was probably bcs i did no revision for it either
sorry for the rant haha, just wanted to let you know how they went <3they aren't bad in the slightest, hon, they're amazing, truly! keep in mind we still have 70 odd days until GCSE's start, and you still have so much time to improve, it's clear your revision for the sciences paid off, not many students can say they got a grade 8 - 9 on a science exam! (if you do separate science, that's even more impressive!)

if it makes you feel better, i didn't even get onto the final 8 mark question for my unseen poetry section, and i didn't finish my answer for the 24 mark question on it either. i also believe my answer was poorly structured for my poetry comparison essay, so no way i've gotten a 9 - not with the horrific 2023 grade boundaries for AQA haha

i understand completely how you feel about being 1 mark off the next grade. i was 1 mark off a grade 9 in maths, which bugged me since i tell myself that i should be getting full 9's in it by now because i was forced to do maths past papers in the summer holidays 😭 but, hey, i revised for maths paper 2 for a bit and it paid off. 92/100 speaks for itself!

i promise you didn't do as bad as you think - or bad at all really! your grades are truly exceptional for someone who started revising in the christmas holidays. it's clear that you're still trying to find a ground level for revision for certain subjects (i am too for english lol) and that's okay! as long as you perservere, you can do just about anything!!

geography was my weakest subject. i believe i scraped a grade 6 in year 10, got an 8 (1 off a 9) in the physical november mock and a 7 in the human mock, but now i'm getting 9's in both! i've learned how to structure responses for the 9 markers as well as memorise the knowledge needed for the papers. once you do that, it becomes simple!

as for german, it is a whole other language only taught at a basic level in school, so i wouldn't worry. if anything, i only get good grades in it because i've listened to german dubs of shows and translated a few words i didn't understand into English. it helped me understand the sentence structures + memorise vocabulary

i can tell you are not dumb, because, once again, your grades are amazing - truly!! you should be very proud of yourself. i know at this point of the year it may seem bad, however, we have many days in school + hours to revise at home and become better than ever. :smile:

out of curiosity, which examboards do you do for each subject? i've noticed in terms of the total marks for each paper they're all fairly inconsistent so i'm wondering if they're actual past papers or if they're just exam questions your teachers have thrown together.

you've done amazing, well done. 💞
Reply 72
they aren't bad in the slightest, hon, they're amazing, truly! keep in mind we still have 70 odd days until GCSE's start, and you still have so much time to improve, it's clear your revision for the sciences paid off, not many students can say they got a grade 8 - 9 on a science exam! (if you do separate science, that's even more impressive!)

if it makes you feel better, i didn't even get onto the final 8 mark question for my unseen poetry section, and i didn't finish my answer for the 24 mark question on it either. i also believe my answer was poorly structured for my poetry comparison essay, so no way i've gotten a 9 - not with the horrific 2023 grade boundaries for AQA haha

i understand completely how you feel about being 1 mark off the next grade. i was 1 mark off a grade 9 in maths, which bugged me since i tell myself that i should be getting full 9's in it by now because i was forced to do maths past papers in the summer holidays 😭 but, hey, i revised for maths paper 2 for a bit and it paid off. 92/100 speaks for itself!

i promise you didn't do as bad as you think - or bad at all really! your grades are truly exceptional for someone who started revising in the christmas holidays. it's clear that you're still trying to find a ground level for revision for certain subjects (i am too for english lol) and that's okay! as long as you perservere, you can do just about anything!!

geography was my weakest subject. i believe i scraped a grade 6 in year 10, got an 8 (1 off a 9) in the physical november mock and a 7 in the human mock, but now i'm getting 9's in both! i've learned how to structure responses for the 9 markers as well as memorise the knowledge needed for the papers. once you do that, it becomes simple!

as for german, it is a whole other language only taught at a basic level in school, so i wouldn't worry. if anything, i only get good grades in it because i've listened to german dubs of shows and translated a few words i didn't understand into English. it helped me understand the sentence structures + memorise vocabulary

i can tell you are not dumb, because, once again, your grades are amazing - truly!! you should be very proud of yourself. i know at this point of the year it may seem bad, however, we have many days in school + hours to revise at home and become better than ever. :smile:

out of curiosity, which examboards do you do for each subject? i've noticed in terms of the total marks for each paper they're all fairly inconsistent so i'm wondering if they're actual past papers or if they're just exam questions your teachers have thrown together.

yes i do triple science haha, thank you so much <33

grade boundaries are always horrendous omg, but i'm certain that you'll at least get an 8 💪

thank you so much you're acc so sweet 😭🤍🤍

i think geography is actually one of my strong subjects, since i enjoy it and normally get full marks in class tests. getting a 7 in these mocks was acc a shocker to me since i did no revision at all 😭 but if i actually revise i'm sure i can get those top grades hopefully <3

omg german is literally my strongest subject, like i'm telling you i could've gotten a 9 😭😭 on the image i sent you, i forgot to update it but after we got our speaking mock back, my overall percentage increased by 3 percent which got me an overall grade 8 💪 the reason why my listening score was so low was bcs i wrote extra information in my answers, and i had no idea i lose the mark if you do that?? so i basically lost 10 whole marks bcs of that which otherwise would've gotten me a 9 😔

THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN you're literally the sweetest soul ever, and you've acc made me feel so much better about my grades 🤍🤍😭

here's my examboardsss:

english - edexcel

maths - edexcel

sciences - aqa

geography - aqa

german - edexcel

(i also do aqa design technology and ocr computer science)

i think the exam questions, for the sciences specifically, are like a mix of past papers and practice questions, since i found so many questions that i did from pmt on the actual mock 😭
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by milktee
they aren't bad in the slightest, hon, they're amazing, truly! keep in mind we still have 70 odd days until GCSE's start, and you still have so much time to improve, it's clear your revision for the sciences paid off, not many students can say they got a grade 8 - 9 on a science exam! (if you do separate science, that's even more impressive!)

yes i do triple science haha, thank you so much <33

grade boundaries are always horrendous omg, but i'm certain that you'll at least get an 8 💪

thank you so much you're acc so sweet 😭🤍🤍

i think geography is actually one of my strong subjects, since i enjoy it and normally get full marks in class tests. getting a 7 in these mocks was acc a shocker to me since i did no revision at all 😭 but if i actually revise i'm sure i can get those top grades hopefully <3

omg german is literally my strongest subject, like i'm telling you i could've gotten a 9 😭😭 on the image i sent you, i forgot to update it but after we got our speaking mock back, my overall percentage increased by 3 percent which got me an overall grade 8 💪 the reason why my listening score was so low was bcs i wrote extra information in my answers, and i had no idea i lose the mark if you do that?? so i basically lost 10 whole marks bcs of that which otherwise would've gotten me a 9 😔

THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN you're literally the sweetest soul ever, and you've acc made me feel so much better about my grades 🤍🤍😭

here's my examboardsss:

english - edexcel

maths - edexcel

sciences - aqa

geography - aqa

german - edexcel

(i also do aqa design technology and ocr computer science)

i think the exam questions, for the sciences specifically, are like a mix of past papers and practice questions, since i found so many questions that i did from pmt on the actual mock 😭

hoping for 8's and 9's in the real gcse haha. never expected to get mostly 9's in my mock either so it'll be a shock / pleasure if i did get them on results day.

of course!!! 🤍

as i said before, geography used to be the worst subject for me; i never understood it and never knew how to structure my 9 mark answers. now that i do, it's become fairly easier for me! i got 79/88 on the physical paper, so only dropped 8 marks from it. :smile:

german is also my typical strong subject for some reason. i've always found it simple after being able to get the jist of it.
i didn't do a speaking mock for this round of mocks, however, in the last mock i got 49/50 for it :smile: (i think i got an overall grade 8 in november too). a grade 8 for german is super good though, don't get yourself down over it!

the listening mock is quite picky. like, REALLY picky. for one of my questions, i answered "Until the morning hours" and the mark scheme only accepted "until the early hours of the morning" and rejected "morning hours" 😭 i still managed to only drop 6 marks though and i got the whole of Section B correct!! as for the reading mock, i also only dropped 6 marks. think i'm gonna do worse on the writing mock this time though..

you do a lot of different examboards compared to me. the only one we share are geography and the sciences - however, i do combined trilogy. edexcel maths is SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult than OCR maths in my opinion, so i'd say you're doing extremely well in that.

as for computer science, i've heard it's one of the most difficult GCSE's to be taking, and heard a bad things about OCR computer science specifically. so once again, your grade is really good!

i'm glad i've made you feel better. people should never feel like their revision hasn't paid off, because it always will in the end if they perservere! on💞
Original post by milktee
i've seen a-level students do this, so why not make one for us gcse students 🤞

i'm hoping for all 9s, but these are my more realistic predictions:

Spoiler

coming back here on thursday 22nd august 2024 so let's all work hard in these 3 months (100 days from now 🚨🚨🚨) to achieve our predicted and preferred gcse grades 💪💪

:woo: GOOD LUCK!! :woo:

Biology - 9
Physics - 8
Chemistry - 8
Lang - 9
Lit - 9
Maths - 7
Geography - 8/9
French - 8
RS - 9
Art - 9
Original post by httpluuv
how do you revise geography? whenever i do end of unit or in class tests i always get an 8 or 9, but in my mocks i got a 6 despite revising so much. my predicted grade is a 7 but i really want that 9.
I'm the same, prioritise studying the structure of longer 9 marks and embed small facts within them about case studies for extra marks x
Reply 76

hoping for 8's and 9's in the real gcse haha. never expected to get mostly 9's in my mock either so it'll be a shock / pleasure if i did get them on results day.

of course!!! 🤍

as i said before, geography used to be the worst subject for me; i never understood it and never knew how to structure my 9 mark answers. now that i do, it's become fairly easier for me! i got 79/88 on the physical paper, so only dropped 8 marks from it. :smile:

german is also my typical strong subject for some reason. i've always found it simple after being able to get the jist of it.
i didn't do a speaking mock for this round of mocks, however, in the last mock i got 49/50 for it :smile: (i think i got an overall grade 8 in november too). a grade 8 for german is super good though, don't get yourself down over it!

the listening mock is quite picky. like, REALLY picky. for one of my questions, i answered "Until the morning hours" and the mark scheme only accepted "until the early hours of the morning" and rejected "morning hours" 😭 i still managed to only drop 6 marks though and i got the whole of Section B correct!! as for the reading mock, i also only dropped 6 marks. think i'm gonna do worse on the writing mock this time though..

you do a lot of different examboards compared to me. the only one we share are geography and the sciences - however, i do combined trilogy. edexcel maths is SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult than OCR maths in my opinion, so i'd say you're doing extremely well in that.

as for computer science, i've heard it's one of the most difficult GCSE's to be taking, and heard a bad things about OCR computer science specifically. so once again, your grade is really good!

i'm glad i've made you feel better. people should never feel like their revision hasn't paid off, because it always will in the end if they perservere! on💞
i'm absolutely 100 percent certain that you're gna ace those final exams with all 9s 💪💪

gosh that score is amazinggg, and yes i defo need to do a lot of practice on 9 markers

no literally, like most people in my year say they hate german so it makes me feel happy that i started liking german since y7 <3. omg you really are acing all your exams, i remember by nov speaking wasn't the best (i got around 70 percent) and i genuinely thought the speaking that i just did (in jan) was a lot worse but i somehow managed to get 87 percent?? and thank youuu 🤍

omds that must've been really annoying 😭😭 at least your overall score was still gooddd, and i've learnt that i need to be really exact in what i write for my answers otherwise i'm gna end up losing over 10 marks in the actual exam asw... how did you find the writing mockk? i personally think writing and reading are my strong suits, defo not listening lool

ooo alrightt, and yeah i think edexcel is a lot harder for both english and maths which is annoying 😭 thank youu <33

yes omg most people who took computer science literally regret it so much and they hate the subject, but i actually enjoy cs and i'm going to study it at uni asw so i'm hoping i get a 9 in my actual gcse, thank you again 🤍

i know that you've definitely put a lot of effort into revision too, so you should be proud of yourself and your grades asw 🤍
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by milktee

of course!!! 🤍

i'm absolutely 100 percent certain that you're gna ace those final exams with all 9s 💪💪

gosh that score is amazinggg, and yes i defo need to do a lot of practice on 9 markers

no literally, like most people in my year say they hate german so it makes me feel happy that i started liking german since y7 <3. omg you really are acing all your exams, i remember by nov speaking wasn't the best (i got around 70 percent) and i genuinely thought the speaking that i just did (in jan) was a lot worse but i somehow managed to get 87 percent?? and thank youuu 🤍

omds that must've been really annoying 😭😭 at least your overall score was still gooddd, and i've learnt that i need to be really exact in what i write for my answers otherwise i'm gna end up losing over 10 marks in the actual exam asw... how did you find the writing mockk? i personally think writing and reading are my strong suits, defo not listening lool

ooo alrightt, and yeah i think edexcel is a lot harder for both english and maths which is annoying 😭 thank youu <33

yes omg most people who took computer science literally regret it so much and they hate the subject, but i actually enjoy cs and i'm going to study it at uni asw so i'm hoping i get a 9 in my actual gcse, thank you again 🤍

i know that you've definitely put a lot of effort into revision too, so you should be proud of yourself and your grades asw 🤍

i'm sure you're gonna do absolutely amazing in your gcse's. im wishing the best for you and hoping you get all the grades you want. i'm sure you can do this!!! thank you for brlieving in me too!!! 💞
i got my english literature 2 results back and i got a grade 8. i'm proud of myself considering the fact i've never done it before.

i got 58/60 on german writing (grade 9) and i'm SO happy with myself omg 😭😭

overall, i've gotten grade 9's in every mock exam apart from maths paper 1 (i was 1 mark off a 9) and english literature - even then i got grade 8!!
Damm thats amazing! A huge well done on those grades 🎉🍻

Quick Reply

Latest