The Student Room Group

predict your gcse grades!! (2023-2024)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by equalssign
personally, I find it helps to make a cue card with all ur timings on it that u can look at before the exam. I just use the timings that Edexcel writes on the paper (where it says 'you should spend x minutes on this section') but if ur exam board doesn't do that, I'd base it off how many marks it is per question. you've got this <333
ahhh that makes sense, and i do edexcel so i'll check them out!! thank you so muchhh 🤍🤍
Original post by milktee
i actually struggle with both writing up my points andd general time management, so THIS REALLY HELPS THANK YOU SO MUCHH
the problem with my english lit mock was that for section a, my poetry comparison, i got 16/20, but my second paragraph was basically repeating my first and i didn't entirely introduce any new ideas. so i also struggle with thinking of line of arguments that are distinct from eachother, and it takes me a while asw which explains why i took over an hour for that section 😭
yesyes i should defo constantly check the time whilst doing my essay, and i really do need to practice doing timed essay questions to get used to it
and omg you don't know how much better that makes me feel 😭😭🤍 i acc got borderline 5, meaning if i lost one mark i would've gotten a 4 😭 but you saying that gives me a hope that i can at leastt get a 7 in my acc exam (ofc i want higher but i'm not sure if i can haha)
thank you so much again 🤍
Planning definitely helps for the not repeating yourself bit. Most essays cover some main idea and then smaller points related to sections of the book/poem so planning helps to make sure you know exactly what these smaller points are before you go in, you don't really have to think of the analysis whilst your planning normally I just did it on the fly whilst writing.

In my yr 10 end of year exams I got a 4 in english, what actually hurt the most was the fact that I could see on the front it said a 6 but crossed out as the teachers did some internal moderation and I got dropped about 12 marks into the 4 boundary. and they made me redo over the summer which was kinda embarrassing. then to only get a 5 in my mocks was kinda sad too, when we got our results back they showed us this bell curve of the entire year and most people got 5s which made it a little better. still felt a bit weird cause my school is quite high achieving and most people were getting 7+ in most subjects so english was a bit weird and whacky, maybe they just marked us harshly idk. but yess you can definitely improve so much of it is just exam technique and knowing what to write rather than just memorising quotes which is good.
Original post by milktee
i've seen a-level students do this, so why not make one for us gcse students 🤞
i'm hoping for all 9s, but these are my more realistic predictions:

Spoiler

coming back here on thursday 22nd august 2024 so let's all work hard in these 3 months (100 days from now 🚨🚨🚨) to achieve our predicted and preferred gcse grades 💪💪
:woo: GOOD LUCK!! :woo:

Okay so i think:

Maths - 7/8
English Language - 7?
English Literature - 7?
Physics - 7
Chemistry - 9
Biology - 8/9
Geography - 8
RS - 8
Design Technology - 7
French - 6/7
Original post by equalssign
heyy milktee i love ur jiji pfp. in mocks i got:
biology: 9
chemistry: 9
physics: 9
maths: 8
english language: 9
english literature: 9
history: 9
art: 9
religious studies: 9
french: 9
i'm predicting all 9's cos we do a maths paper every week and mine are getting consistent 9's :smile:)
my first exam is 64 days from now D:

how do you revise french???
Original post by milktee
yes we love the confidence 🤞
I really struggled,
My predicted grade is 3,4,5s I know it is that bad, it kill my heart. The reasons it that bad because of my school like teacher being terribly at teaching and won’t give a revision.
I know what I’m capable of
I used to be top student last year and when I move to another school. I’m now one of the dumbest and loser student here.
So when I move to another school (my dream) I’m going to work hard and revise correctly and get my grade from 3-9s
And I want to be a doctor. If you want to know what job I want to do in future
I’ll appreciate if you give me any advice for year 10 in future
Original post by emaanqur
hi! I'm predicted 9 and getting 9s, and this is what I would do:

watch the GCSE Maths Tutor videos for concepts you do not understand - they are incredibly useful and good at explaining stuff that you might not recall. I used a lot of his videos to self teach myself content as my teacher is a bit useless and I miss a lot of lessons due to sickness.

I cannot express how important past paper questions are - just do them a LOT and again and again if necessary - they help you get familiar with mark schemes and with general question structure as exam boards tend to stick to similar structures.

for exam questions by topic, I highly recommend MathsGenie - they have questions by topic AND topics by grade eg proving circle theorems is a grade 8/9 topic, which is seen on the website.

I can help with any other subjects too, I'm predicted same across the board! ❤️ hope this helps and good luck x
Firstly what subjects are you doing rn and secondly how would one improve in them. I do CS,Business,Spanish, History Maths FM, triple science english lit and lang. I find maths kinda hard and Physics and chem is difficult. Power and conflict is terrible. If u got any advice pls lmk cuz i need it.
I’m hoping for majority 9’s but me current predicted grades
- Maths: 9
- English literature : 9
- English language: 8
- Biology: 9
- Chemistry: 8
- Physics: 8
- Mandarin: 7
- History : 8
- Computer Science: 8
Reply 127
Original post by auroraflight
Planning definitely helps for the not repeating yourself bit. Most essays cover some main idea and then smaller points related to sections of the book/poem so planning helps to make sure you know exactly what these smaller points are before you go in, you don't really have to think of the analysis whilst your planning normally I just did it on the fly whilst writing.
In my yr 10 end of year exams I got a 4 in english, what actually hurt the most was the fact that I could see on the front it said a 6 but crossed out as the teachers did some internal moderation and I got dropped about 12 marks into the 4 boundary. and they made me redo over the summer which was kinda embarrassing. then to only get a 5 in my mocks was kinda sad too, when we got our results back they showed us this bell curve of the entire year and most people got 5s which made it a little better. still felt a bit weird cause my school is quite high achieving and most people were getting 7+ in most subjects so english was a bit weird and whacky, maybe they just marked us harshly idk. but yess you can definitely improve so much of it is just exam technique and knowing what to write rather than just memorising quotes which is good.
THANK YOU SO MUCHH, you've literally helped so much and i'll be sure to take your advice when revising and practicing for english <333
(please forgive me for the extremely late reply 😭😭🤍)
Reply 128
Original post by Smartmohmaedx
I really struggled,
My predicted grade is 3,4,5s I know it is that bad, it kill my heart. The reasons it that bad because of my school like teacher being terribly at teaching and won’t give a revision.
I used to be top student last year and when I move to another school. I’m now one of the dumbest and loser student here.
So when I move to another school (my dream) I’m going to work hard and revise correctly and get my grade from 3-9s
it's not your fault at all for your predicted grades, having bad teachers is the worst and if they don't live up to a good standard of teaching, then you shouldn't blame yourself for your predicted grades. as you said, you know what you're capable of, so i'm sure you'll be able to work hard considering that the teachers may be better at your new school and i hope that in the future you'll be able to become your dream job insha'allah.
are you currently in year 9? what sort of advice would you like me to give you? 🤍🤍
Original post by milktee
it's not your fault at all for your predicted grades, having bad teachers is the worst and if they don't live up to a good standard of teaching, then you shouldn't blame yourself for your predicted grades. as you said, you know what you're capable of, so i'm sure you'll be able to work hard considering that the teachers may be better at your new school and i hope that in the future you'll be able to become your dream job insha'allah.
are you currently in year 9? what sort of advice would you like me to give you? 🤍🤍

Hi again, yes I’m currently in year 9 and I have a question about science, so when I’ll be in year 10 can I decide again from choosing double science to triple science or it all over and is sets in triple sciences important for me to improve my grade? And my teacher for some reason won’t grade my work and just replace it as “bands” idk if you are familiar with bands in English where band 1 is the lowest and band 5 or 6 is the highest?
Oh yeah this is the question I was wondering in the entire day!
Will I be put into lower sets if I did bad in year 9 and will my starting grade be lower in year 10 if I did very bad in year 9?
The only things I’m good is maths which my predicted grade is above 7 (I know I can get a 9, it that easy tbh).
So yeah Ik it alots to answer but you don’t have to answer if you wanted too!
@Takalae L and @milktee y’all can respond if you wanted too! 😊
Reply 130
Hi again, yes I’m currently in year 9 and I have a question about science, so when I’ll be in year 10 can I decide again from choosing double science to triple science or it all over and is sets in triple sciences important for me to improve my grade? And my teacher for some reason won’t grade my work and just replace it as “bands” idk if you are familiar with bands in English where band 1 is the lowest and band 5 or 6 is the highest?
Oh yeah this is the question I was wondering in the entire day!
Will I be put into lower sets if I did bad in year 9 and will my starting grade be lower in year 10 if I did very bad in year 9?
The only things I’m good is maths which my predicted grade is above 7 (I know I can get a 9, it that easy tbh).
So yeah Ik it alots to answer but you don’t have to answer if you wanted too!
@Takalae L and @milktee y’all can respond if you wanted too! 😊

i'm not sure how it entirely works since i go to a grammar school where we all have to do triple science by default, but my brother goes to a normal school and he only got given the choice to do triple science if he wanted to in y10 bcs he did well in science up until year 9. the others who weren't as academically great did not get the offer to do triple science in y10, so they currently do combined science.
as for bands, i'm familiar with it and maybe because you're only in y9 they use them, probs from y10 onwards they'll start grading your exams and your work
as for your question on sets, i think so yeah, based on your academic performance during y9, teachers put you into specific sets, so you'll most likely be in a set that reflects your academic ability
hope that answered your questions <33 sorry again if these are incorrect because i don't have sets in my school
I really struggled,

no one likes a s*ck up puh. Its year 9 mate, this is the year to do bad and improve quickly. At least ur not like some ppl ik in yr11 who got predicted 1s 2s and 3s and are achieving that like a month before the real exams. I'd say focus up on getting into triple and doing well in science bc it's almost irreversible after yr 10. Try to get top grades in maths so you get placed set 1 but if u dont then dw you got yr10 to improve. The rest acc dont matter, just try your best. year 10 is when u should start putting effort in for option sibjects. Year 9 is just securing your sets for next year. If you have a terrible teacher, then im telling u that's no excuse. Trust me, I fell into the same trap and am falling into that trap rn, but if you revise properly using bbc bitesize and kerboodle, you can do well. School should not be ur only support. While good teachers help, sometimes they're not enough to secure the top marks. Never trust your teachers if they say somethings not coming up, bc they like to trick you. if yk its on the spec, cover it anyway. Gl you got time, 2 years is plenty of time , make sure to enjoy life along the way and mess around a bit.
Original post by battle_machine07
no one likes a s*ck up puh. Its year 9 mate, this is the year to do bad and improve quickly. At least ur not like some ppl ik in yr11 who got predicted 1s 2s and 3s and are achieving that like a month before the real exams. I'd say focus up on getting into triple and doing well in science bc it's almost irreversible after yr 10. Try to get top grades in maths so you get placed set 1 but if u dont then dw you got yr10 to improve. The rest acc dont matter, just try your best. year 10 is when u should start putting effort in for option sibjects. Year 9 is just securing your sets for next year. If you have a terrible teacher, then im telling u that's no excuse. Trust me, I fell into the same trap and am falling into that trap rn, but if you revise properly using bbc bitesize and kerboodle, you can do well. School should not be ur only support. While good teachers help, sometimes they're not enough to secure the top marks. Never trust your teachers if they say somethings not coming up, bc they like to trick you. if yk its on the spec, cover it anyway. Gl you got time, 2 years is plenty of time , make sure to enjoy life along the way and mess around a bit.

my bro that a good advice fr, took me min to read whole thing, btw I have one question about what u said about triple science, what happen I get chosen to do combine science, can I still refused and do triple science, I mean,it my choise right?
And dw I’m still alr in maths I got put down in sets for dumb, stupid reason.
And did u say it is irreversible after year 10, u mean year 9 is my chance to get my grade up (which is so so so so not happening ngl) I can do better science in year 10? Ngl bro this is stressing me out and this whole thing started just me moving to another school, and I almost got excluded as well bruh?
So yeah, btw I wish you also have a great, successful life!
Thanks the advice bro!
my bro that a good advice fr, took me min to read whole thing, btw I have one question about what u said about triple science, what happen I get chosen to do combine science, can I still refused and do triple science, I mean,it my choise right?
And dw I’m still alr in maths I got put down in sets for dumb, stupid reason.
And did u say it is irreversible after year 10, u mean year 9 is my chance to get my grade up (which is so so so so not happening ngl) I can do better science in year 10? Ngl bro this is stressing me out and this whole thing started just me moving to another school, and I almost got excluded as well bruh?
So yeah, btw I wish you also have a great, successful life!
Thanks the advice bro!

hahhahaha. well tbh for my skl(its pretty bad), they haven't moved anyorn up to triple since year 10, sooo year 9 is pretty important tbh. maybe there might be a special case where you're doing so well in combined higher they move you to triple, but its unlikely. However if you are unsure, Id recommend speaking to a teacher about it, maybe the head of science and im also aware they pick students to do it based on behaviour also. so if ur well behaved and getting decentish grades, you'll be fine. But make it clear in this year if u can that ur gonna try to get the best grades and maybe make an impression on whoever is deciding who does it or not. It also depends on competition, bc for my band, we only had about 28 ppl do triple higher and yet in the other band they had about 60 ppl doing it at higher band asw, so it might be different for each school. Best of luck bro, revise hard and you'll be good.
Maths 6
English language 7
English literature 5
Combined science 5-6 or 6-6
Original post by battle_machine07
hahhahaha. well tbh for my skl(its pretty bad), they haven't moved anyorn up to triple since year 10, sooo year 9 is pretty important tbh. maybe there might be a special case where you're doing so well in combined higher they move you to triple, but its unlikely. However if you are unsure, Id recommend speaking to a teacher about it, maybe the head of science and im also aware they pick students to do it based on behaviour also. so if ur well behaved and getting decentish grades, you'll be fine. But make it clear in this year if u can that ur gonna try to get the best grades and maybe make an impression on whoever is deciding who does it or not. It also depends on competition, bc for my band, we only had about 28 ppl do triple higher and yet in the other band they had about 60 ppl doing it at higher band asw, so it might be different for each school. Best of luck bro, revise hard and you'll be good.
yeah I get it, so the decision of combined or triple science will be start in year 9 or 10, and btw bro my school are 💩
and I don’t think I’ll get any higher than grade 4 because im still doing foundation but I’m guaranteed to go another school in end of this year so my future school would have to see my data in my school how well iv done and stuff but I think I’m so finish like there nothing I can do to keep my grade up because the stupid teacher said that I’m doing foundation all year long so I can’t get any higher than grade 5 which mean my future school would’ve have to put me into foundation and lower sets which is my nightmare bruh..
Original post by milktee
i've seen a-level students do this, so why not make one for us gcse students 🤞
i'm hoping for all 9s, but these are my more realistic predictions:

Spoiler

coming back here on thursday 22nd august 2024 so let's all work hard in these 3 months (100 days from now 🚨🚨🚨) to achieve our predicted and preferred gcse grades 💪💪
:woo: GOOD LUCK!! :woo:
how do you revise computer scince like esp paper 2 i find it rlly difficult.
i literally feel like gcses are so pointless and wasting my golden years on them makes me so depressed its not even funny but here's what we're looking at:

maths- 7/8
english lit: 9
english lang: 8/9
physics: 8
chemistry: 9
bio: 9
rs: 9
drama: 8
geo: 8
music: 8/9
latin: 8

really want to get maths and physics up 😕 but im not upset with these tbh and i know i can definitely revise the heck out of a lot of the 8s and get 9s hopefully, like latin and geo are really not that hard if i just dedicate a little extra time to them
Combined Science (A) Current grade:33 Forecast grade:54 Eng Lang (B) Current grade:3 Forecast grade: 3+
Eng Lit (B) Current grade: 3+ Forecast grade: 4- Food (A) Current grade: 5- Forecast grade: 5+
French (A) Current grade: 4- Forecast grade:5+
Geography (A) Current grade:4+ Forecast grade: 5
Maths (A) Current grade: 2+ Forecast grade: 4
Photography (A) Current grade:4 Forecast grade:6
Original post by Harfan654
Combined Science (A) Current grade:33 Forecast grade:54 Eng Lang (B) Current grade:3 Forecast grade: 3+
Eng Lit (B) Current grade: 3+ Forecast grade: 4- Food (A) Current grade: 5- Forecast grade: 5+
French (A) Current grade: 4- Forecast grade:5+
Geography (A) Current grade:4+ Forecast grade: 5
Maths (A) Current grade: 2+ Forecast grade: 4
Photography (A) Current grade:4 Forecast grade:6

you got balls for putting that on here. respect

Quick Reply

Latest