The Student Room Group

Reapplying to Oxford PPE

I was unsuccessful in securing a place at Oxford this year for PPE.

Interview feedback was that I scored 75% aggregate for all 3 interviews and a similar score for the exam. I didn't receive any specific feedback as to how to improve but am keen to try again next year. I am predicted 4 A* for 'A' levels.

Can anyone suggest what I might do to improve? Are there particular readings I should do? Or lots of interview practice? And if so, do I try to interview with current PPE tutors? I'm keen not to give up on my dream but without specific feedback on how to improve I'm a bit stumped on what I need to work on or where I can go for more guidance.
Reply 1
75% aggregate? Like you got 30 + 30 + 15?
Reply 2
Original post by jamsparkle
75% aggregate? Like you got 30 + 30 + 15?

Thanks for replying and sorry if I wasn’t clear. The ‘score’ for each interview was an average of 75/100. So in each interview I underperformed by 25%.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by JackyJax
Thanks for replying and sorry if I wasn’t clear. The ‘score’ for each interview was an average of 75/100. So in each interview I underperformed by 25%.

What were your exact interview scores and TSA score as it would be quite unusual to not get a place with all interview scores above 70? Could you post a screenshot of the communication maybe (eg with imgur)?

The official guidance is that interview scores between 70-100 are “excellent” and make you a strong candidate for admission
Reply 5
Thanks for the attachment; I've seen that before and noted the 4 main areas that the interview assesses so I know I can work on those areas.

I was hoping for more personal feedback from someone who has maybe been in this position before and could provide more specific guidance. So for example, perhaps someone worked on their critical thinking skills in relation to PPE by engaging in watching parliamentary debates and constructing counter arguments. Or perhaps someone worked on critically assessing arguments in Ted Talks by setting up an online forum in Reddit to discuss pros and cons of presenters' perspectives. Thank you for your response though. That's a helpful document which hopefully will benefit other readers too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending