The Student Room Group

Engineering in clearing

My son has an offer from Bath to do economics but wishes to switch to engineering. If he gets his grades this week presumably the best option is to ring Bath to see if he can switch. If they refuse, then he would have to decline the place and go through clearing. How easy is it to obtain a place at a good uni to do engineering through clearing? He also wants to defer to 2024 but realise it is not possible to get a deferred place through clearing so that would have to be negotiated afterwards.
Original post by arothwell
My son has an offer from Bath to do economics but wishes to switch to engineering. If he gets his grades this week presumably the best option is to ring Bath to see if he can switch. If they refuse, then he would have to decline the place and go through clearing. How easy is it to obtain a place at a good uni to do engineering through clearing? He also wants to defer to 2024 but realise it is not possible to get a deferred place through clearing so that would have to be negotiated afterwards.

If he wants to take up a place in 2024 he'd be better off just applying in the next cycle. Finding a new course+uni in clearing could be laborourious and a waste of time if they won't let him defer, (which is the most likely outcome).

It depends what you class as good universities. I suspect there will be many universities outside of the very top ones.If he plans deferring no point going through clearing. Make a fresh application in the autumn when he will have 5 choices and more options.
Reply 3
My son has an offer from Bath to do economics but wishes to switch to engineering.

Unless its Civil Engineering or Chemical Engineering, he doesnt have a prayer of getting a Clearing place at Bath for Engineering.

As above, take a gap year, go to the September Open Day and listen to the subject presentations and then apply for 2024 entry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending