The Student Room Group

Law offers 2024 thread (Scotland)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scott1971annie
Well done on your offers but I wanted to ask as a parent of a child applying to Scottish Universities to study Law LLB when did you get your responses from Edinburgh and Strathclyde?

My daughter has received one unconditional from Aberdeen one week after submitting (6 Dec) nothing since. She is a straight As student and will be again for Adv Highers and other highers she is doing. She applied to Aberdeen Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strathclyde but was advised away from Stirling and Dundee (we also live near these two places and she wanted bigger city experience.

Many thanks and best wishes with your studies.

Why advised away from Stirling? I went to all the open days and liked Stirling campus the most also I think I would be better supported there as it’s smaller
Reply 61
Original post by Cyb3rspace
Well done!!! Hoping we get Glasgow back soon. Can Iask when did you hear back from Edinburgh & was itScot’s law?
Thanks!! Hope so too. Yes I have applied for Scot’s Law and I heard back from Edinburgh on 17th January.
Reply 62
Well done on your offers but I wanted to ask as a parent of a child applying to Scottish Universities to study Law LLB when did you get your responses from Edinburgh and Strathclyde?
My daughter has received one unconditional from Aberdeen one week after submitting (6 Dec) nothing since. She is a straight As student and will be again for Adv Highers and other highers she is doing. She applied to Aberdeen Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strathclyde but was advised away from Stirling and Dundee (we also live near these two places and she wanted bigger city experience.
Many thanks and best wishes with your studies.
Thank you for the support and good luck to your daughter! I heard back from Edinburgh on 17th January and Strathclyde on the 15th. It is a bit strange, my friend (also applying for Law) is also a straight A student and hasn’t heard back from Edinburgh yet either.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Hopefulug
Why advised away from Stirling? I went to all the open days and liked Stirling campus the most also I think I would be better supported there as it’s smaller
Hello, I am sure Stirling is great but for my daughter, as I already mentioned, we live close to Dundee and Stirling and she was not interested in either due to proximity, size etc. Hence she did not apply to either. Her fifth choice was Durham but was really just put down due to no other appropriate option in Scotland. My friend is Head of Law at another University and they said given high grades etc they would only look at four Law Schools in Scotland (the four she applied to, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strathclyde).

She does not want to go small city or isolated campus. She wants bright lights big city. In fact even if St Andrews offered law she would not be interested there for same reason. Hope this helps. Enjoy where ever you decide to go to :smile:
Original post by MrsMG
My son has the same grades, and a high LNAT score, has only heard back from Dundee so far....
It is weird, my view it can only be coming down to the capped places element or also the postcode/ school attended.
Reply 65
Original post by MrsMG
My son has the same grades, and a high LNAT score, has only heard back from Dundee so far....
Another parent here! My daughter also has straight As and hasn't heard from Edinburgh, Glasgow or Strathclyde. We have unconditionals from Dundee and Stirling. Such a stressful time waiting.

I'm finding this Student Room chat so helpful and thanks everyone for sharing their stats and offers etc! I saw on here that Glasgow are hoping to issue all offers before 31 March so hopefully that's accurate. Fingers crossed everyone gets offers. Good luck everyone!
Hello, I am sure Stirling is great but for my daughter, as I already mentioned, we live close to Dundee and Stirling and she was not interested in either due to proximity, size etc. Hence she did not apply to either. Her fifth choice was Durham but was really just put down due to no other appropriate option in Scotland. My friend is Head of Law at another University and they said given high grades etc they would only look at four Law Schools in Scotland (the four she applied to, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strathclyde).

She does not want to go small city or isolated campus. She wants bright lights big city. In fact even if St Andrews offered law she would not be interested there for same reason. Hope this helps. Enjoy where ever you decide to go to :smile:

Yeah I can see the appeal of a big city my brother is studying in Aberdeen and loves going out I don’t care for that much , everyone’s different. Can I ask what you meant about the head of the law school only looking at the four universities? Looking at them in what way for future jobs?
Yeah I can see the appeal of a big city my brother is studying in Aberdeen and loves going out I don’t care for that much , everyone’s different. Can I ask what you meant about the head of the law school only looking at the four universities? Looking at them in what way for future jobs?
What they meant, and remember they are a friend so speaking to me as such, not in their professional capacity, was that the top schools are generally regarded as Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strathclyde. If a young person has straight As and projected same in final year for Adv Highers or A levels etc it would be strange that they undersell themselves and go to a University that is looking for less than all A bands.

Due I guess, whether we like it or not, agree or not, but a Law degree from one of the ancient Universities would carry more kudos than others ultimately with employers I suppose. Thats me guessing not what they said specifically.

Hope that makes sense.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 68
What they meant, and remember they are a friend so speaking to me as such, not in their professional capacity, was that the top schools are generally regarded as Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strathclyde. If a young person has straight As and projected same in final year for Adv Highers or A levels etc it would be strange that they undersell themselves and go to a University that is looking for less than all A bands.
Due I guess, whether we like it or not, agree or not, but a Law degree from one of the ancient Universities would carry more kudos than others ultimately with employers I suppose. Thats me guessing not what they said specifically.
Hope that makes sense.
I think Glasgow and Edinburgh are probably looked at more favourably followed closely by Strathclyde and then , honestly, I don't think there is much between the others although maybe Aberdeen and Dundee are, again, marginally more favourable than the "newer" universities as they have slightly higher grade requirements but a good candidate from any university will have access to most law firms.

Trainee solicitors are recruited by Scottish law firms from all universities and it will be down to 1) degree classification received, 2) strength of application and interview and 3) work experience and vacation scheme attendance if applicable for the particular law firm.

This is just personal opinion, others may have different views and I don't know the recruitment policies of all Scottish law firms but I know people who went to Stirling and have amazing jobs now in top law firms.

I do think things are changing for the better in the profession. 20 years ago there was a clear and definite preference to only recruit from Edinburgh or Glasgow Unis and thats just not the case now at most firms. It's probably a different story at top firms in London though.
Original post by Raquele
Hope that makes sense.
I think Glasgow and Edinburgh are probably looked at more favourably followed closely by Strathclyde and then , honestly, I don't think there is much between the others although maybe Aberdeen and Dundee are, again, marginally more favourable than the "newer" universities as they have slightly higher grade requirements but a good candidate from any university will have access to most law firms.

Trainee solicitors are recruited by Scottish law firms from all universities and it will be down to 1) degree classification received, 2) strength of application and interview and 3) work experience and vacation scheme attendance if applicable for the particular law firm.

This is just personal opinion, others may have different views and I don't know the recruitment policies of all Scottish law firms but I know people who went to Stirling and have amazing jobs now in top law firms.

I do think things are changing for the better in the profession. 20 years ago there was a clear and definite preference to only recruit from Edinburgh or Glasgow Unis and thats just not the case now at most firms. It's probably a different story at top firms in London though.

Yes I read they are redacting what university you went to in most applications now and a lot of firms are trying to be more inclusive now plus Edinburgh give a lot of their places now to widening participation now so definitely people with lower grades
Original post by Raquele
Absolutely agree but I do think if you are a straight A student why would you chose a university out of the top ten in UK.

I was having a look at this https://www.thetimes.co.uk/uk-university-rankings Glasgow third,Strathclyde 6th Edinburgh 7th and Aberdeen 10 in UK. Then Dundee and Stirling outwith that....

Anyway as my other used to say "you will know best yourself" hahah. Best wishes
Reply 71
Yes I read they are redacting what university you went to in most applications now and a lot of firms are trying to be more inclusive now plus Edinburgh give a lot of their places now to widening participation now so definitely people with lower grades
I didn't know that about redaction of university details. I think that's a great thing.
Another week and nothing from Glasgow or Edinburgh..frustrating as both their accommodation is open for booking and seeing people choosing
Another week and nothing from Glasgow or Edinburgh..frustrating as both their accommodation is open for booking and seeing people choosing
What is also frustrating is they have upcoming offer holders days which are before the deadline of the 16th May which is the last day all Universities can give their decisions, ie offer or rejection
I met the requirements for Strathclyde and just got rejected 😕 I’m also predicted As x 2AH and As x 2 H. UCAS stated unsuccessful or course full.
Original post by Cattycal
I met the requirements for Strathclyde and just got rejected 😕 I’m also predicted As x 2AH and As x 2 H. UCAS stated unsuccessful or course full.
hi there - so sorry for the rejection, unfortunately the same happened to me yesterday too, i don’t understand why strathclyde are rejecting everyone even applicants who meet the entry requirements.
Reply 76
Original post by fefhghjhbdsxcc
hi there - so sorry for the rejection, unfortunately the same happened to me yesterday too, i don’t understand why strathclyde are rejecting everyone even applicants who meet the entry requirements.
So sorry to hear that - did you have 4As and a B at Higher?

Aberdeen and Strathclyde: A Tale of Two Scottish Cities"

"Exploring Aberdeen and Strathclyde: Contrasts and Similarities"

"Aberdeen vs. Strathclyde: A Comparative Analysis of Culture and Lifestyle"

"The Charm of Aberdeen: Discovering Scotland's Granite City"

"Strathclyde's Urban Landscape: Navigating Glasgow's Vibrant Heart.

Original post by MrsMG
yes ! and i was predicted 2 A’s at Adv Higher and one A at higher this year - seems like nothing is good enough for that uni
Original post by MrsMG
Yes all AAAAB at Higher and all A Nat 5s. I also completed online modules with the law society and sought out many different experiences with law firms. I actually don’t know what else I could have done!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending