The Student Room Group

Gcse revision

I am in yr 11 now and i had mocks in November.I revised a lot for combined science-started 1.5 month before.My revision strategy was rewriting sections of pages from CGP till i knew it off heart .I would do two pages of CGP everyday which would take me 2-3 hours.But i didn't get the grade i wanted.Only got 5/5.
Now i am watching cognito videos and printing topic questions from PMT and doing them.I am scared that i might not get the grade required as this might not be a effective revision strategy
Do you think that this a effective revision strategy and will get the the grade required?
Original post by whatsup123
I am in yr 11 now and i had mocks in November.I revised a lot for combined science-started 1.5 month before.My revision strategy was rewriting sections of pages from CGP till i knew it off heart .I would do two pages of CGP everyday which would take me 2-3 hours.But i didn't get the grade i wanted.Only got 5/5.
Now i am watching cognito videos and printing topic questions from PMT and doing them.I am scared that i might not get the grade required as this might not be a effective revision strategy
Do you think that this a effective revision strategy and will get the the grade required?

My sis did triple science and for most of the year she got 6's (she barely attended school due to her illness). I taught her and helped her seriously revised 2 weeks before the actual exams and she ended up getting 3 9s. This is what she did:

The CGP guide is good but learning it by heart = not the best. Understand and don't memorize they say.

Your spec sheet should be your checklist. Write/Better to type short targeted notes that address each learning objective.

Do all the PPQs you can = full papers. The same questions come up time and time again.

Know that sometimes, the most basic of answers (especially in biology) are the ones on the mark scheme.

Add mark scheme answers to your notes + learn exam technique.

When you don't know how to answer a question/understand what the question is asking you, write everything you know around that topic (look at key words in the question). The examiners would tick off any points that match the mark scheme.

After finishing your notes, read them once and try and understand em the best you can. Then do some PPQs and review your notes again.

Personally and in general, I never recommend the learn by heart method. Understanding concepts can be made easier through analogies and really, other means. Plus the CGP guide likes to give extra info = not necessary = and their explanations are kinda exaggerated at times. Getting the grade you want depends on you but really if you think your strategy could work, go for it! Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest