The Student Room Group

Nursing placement hours

Hello, can anyone guide me on nursing placement hours? I am worried about long hours where i will be needed to finish late. For example, starting at 7 am is ok but 7 pm, which won't be possible due to picking up the kids to school. My mom would be able to help me with weekend and night shifts. However, in terms of kids, school hours won't be possible as she's a full-time carer too, she won't be able to collect the kids. I am aware im supposed to be working 37.5 hours. How do other people manage their placements? How long are the placements? Is it 6 weeks' placements? Can i request flexible hours? Can i request to work on days that i am off to cover up the days where i wouldn't be able to work? I am also applying for DSA. Do u think the student support in uni help me in terms for that. Thank u in advance. Any advice would be much appriciated. I really would love to take a nursing route. My aim is to work part-time/bank **** after i quality.
Reply 1
Original post by Shima89
Hello, can anyone guide me on nursing placement hours? I am worried about long hours where i will be needed to finish late. For example, starting at 7 am is ok but 7 pm, which won't be possible due to picking up the kids to school. My mom would be able to help me with weekend and night shifts. However, in terms of kids, school hours won't be possible as she's a full-time carer too, she won't be able to collect the kids. I am aware im supposed to be working 37.5 hours. How do other people manage their placements? How long are the placements? Is it 6 weeks' placements? Can i request flexible hours? Can i request to work on days that i am off to cover up the days where i wouldn't be able to work? I am also applying for DSA. Do u think the student support in uni help me in terms for that. Thank u in advance. Any advice would be much appriciated. I really would love to take a nursing route. My aim is to work part-time/bank **** after i quality.

It completely depends on the placement.
My first placement instead of doing long shifts which were 8-8 i did 4 days of 8-5 and a 8-1.
I then had inpatient and was able to do kinda whatever shifts i want on whatever days. Shifts ranged form early -7.30-3.30 late- 12.30-8.30 or long 7.30-8.30 but didnt have set shifts.
Iv just had a community placement which was monday to friday 9-5
But i have a friend whos in ICU next and has already been told her rota. So it completely depends on the placement. Placements range between 8 and 10 weeks at my uni i think, but we only do 2 a year, other unis do different things regarding placements
Reply 2
Original post by PonchoKid

It completely depends on the placement.
My first placement instead of doing long shifts which were 8-8 i did 4 days of 8-5 and a 8-1.
I then had inpatient and was able to do kinda whatever shifts i want on whatever days. Shifts ranged form early -7.30-3.30 late- 12.30-8.30 or long 7.30-8.30 but didnt have set shifts.
Iv just had a community placement which was monday to friday 9-5
But i have a friend whos in ICU next and has already been told her rota. So it completely depends on the placement. Placements range between 8 and 10 weeks at my uni i think, but we only do 2 a year, other unis do different things regarding placements

Thank you so much.
Reply 3
Original post by Shima89
Thank you so much.

Unis generally and nmc state we should do a full range of the hours nirses do to get a full view on the system. Its a bit crap but i dont know if theres too much budging.
I was given permission to do shorter shifts if needed as i was concerned id get ill (i have bipolar and suffer chronic pain) but foung long shifts not too bad, and do less days.
Reply 4
I dont mind doing 9-5 every day as long as i get to sort out the kids, although i know that's not possible. Do u mind me asking who did u speak too regarding ur illness and sorting your shifts
Reply 5
Original post by Shima89
I dont mind doing 9-5 every day as long as i get to sort out the kids, although i know that's not possible. Do u mind me asking who did u speak too regarding ur illness and sorting your shifts

So i have DSA, and an SPLD (specific learning difficulty) action plan through uni regarding reasonable adjustments. Through that i can also have a placement action plan thingy but not had it sorted yet.
I just spoke to my placement thoygh, explained my situation and theyv been accomodating. Think they are used to so many students with different needs.
You might be able to take a break on a long shift to pick your kids up and take them to your mums if thats a possibility?
Theres loads of parents and loads of single parents doing nursing so im sure there is ways round it all.
Reply 6

So i have DSA, and an SPLD (specific learning difficulty) action plan through uni regarding reasonable adjustments. Through that i can also have a placement action plan thingy but not had it sorted yet.
I just spoke to my placement thoygh, explained my situation and theyv been accomodating. Think they are used to so many students with different needs.
You might be able to take a break on a long shift to pick your kids up and take them to your mums if thats a possibility?
Theres loads of parents and loads of single parents doing nursing so im sure there is ways round it all.

That is a really good idea!!. Cuse i can request a placement home (i had my occupational interview, and they put that down) i can take a break on school times. Depending on how long it is. If its 30 minutes thats good for me
Reply 7
Original post by Shima89
That is a really good idea!!. Cuse i can request a placement home (i had my occupational interview, and they put that down) i can take a break on school times. Depending on how long it is. If its 30 minutes thats good for me

When i was in inpatient (im on mental health) we did 13 hour shifts and we had 1hr 30min breaks and most people took it all at once and either had a nap, or popped home and walked their dogs and stuff. I chose to take mine seperate so had hours break for dinner, then half hour later in the evening about 6 after meds. But i know my mates on adult did 12 hour shifts and had an hours break.
Reply 8

When i was in inpatient (im on mental health) we did 13 hour shifts and we had 1hr 30min breaks and most people took it all at once and either had a nap, or popped home and walked their dogs and stuff. I chose to take mine seperate so had hours break for dinner, then half hour later in the evening about 6 after meds. But i know my mates on adult did 12 hour shifts and had an hours break.

Thank u so much. This really helps. I would never have thought about that. It means a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending