The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter or Sheffield uni

Hello,
my daughter, got offer from Exeter and Sheffield in biological sciences! which one she should consider us safe?
Original post by elenig
Hello,
my daughter, got offer from Exeter and Sheffield in biological sciences! which one she should consider us safe?

When you say "safe", are you talking about the situation whereby your daughter just misses the offer grades? Is her offer AAB from each?

A typical Biological Sciences student at Exeter has AAA grades (source). A typical Biological Sciences student as Sheffield has AAB grades (source).

That suggests that neither would be "safe" if she were to miss an AAB offer.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
When you say "safe", are you talking about the situation whereby your daughter just misses the offer grades? Is her offer AAB from each?

A typical Biological Sciences student at Exeter has AAA grades (source). A typical Biological Sciences student as Sheffield has AAB grades (source).

That suggests that neither would be "safe" if she were to miss an AAB offer.

Thanks for your reply.
Sorry for not being familiar with AAB or AAA as she is an IB student. Is this similar to 665 or 666 in HL?

She is also waiting from Edinburg and Kings but no reply yet from those two.

Only offers she got is Glasgow, Exeter and Sheffield
Original post by elenig
Hello,

Hi @elenig,

Congratulations to your daughter for receiving an offer! I hope she is looking forward to starting university!

In regards to choosing a 'safe' university, I assume you mean a back up in case she doesn't get into her first choice? If so, this will probably depend on the conditional offer she received and how confident she feels with reaching those grades! If both offers are the same, she might want to consider some other factors. I would encourage her to take at look at the modules on offer at both universities, and see if there are any differences. Usually, university courses will differ slightly in terms of contact hours, assessment types, placement opportunities, etc. and this might help when deciding between the two! In addition, I don't know if your daughter has had the chance to visit Sheffield or Exeter, but it is definitely worth considering the area she wants to live in. I have found Exeter to be a perfect mix between campus and city. On campus, everything is close together and easily accessible, there is a real sense of student community, and plenty of green space! In town, there are loads of pubs, restaurants, bars and clubs to choose from as well. It is also a 20 minute train ride from the beach, you can have a walk by the river or in one the many nearby fields - perfect to get some fresh air in the middle of your studies! On a personal note, I have really enjoyed my time here. The students are all really friendly, the staff are helpful and supportive - always on hand to help with concerns. I couldn't recommend it enough!

Please do feel free to get in touch with other questions you may have and I'll be happy to help!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Hello Kitty,

Thanks for your thorough reply.
I am very impressed of how helpful and supportive you are. I honestly believe that the University of Exeter would be an excellent choice for my daughter.
I‘ ve heard that there is a strong sports community and that will be definitely a plus, as she is a competitive tennis player with participations in local and international tournaments.
Looking forward visiting Exeter!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending