The Student Room Group

Feeling left out

hi there, I am currently in college. I have had this group of friends for a while, but I have noticed that they are getting closer to each other. They started to hang out and make plans without me. I didn't want to be upset over this, as it seems rather childish, but it has gotten to me unconsciously. I did notice them talking about their plans in front of me a couple of times, and it makes me upset. I don't think they have any ill intentions, but I do feel hurt whenever it happens.
Reply 1
Hi there. Sorry to hear you are feeling left out with your group of friends. Are you sure this is the case and they are just not including you because they think you may not be interested in what they are planning to do? Otherwise it's quite cruel doing that in front of you and it's not childish at all to feel upset about it. It's a completely natural reaction and most people at some point has felt that way so you are not alone with this either. Maybe try and find some other friends. I know that's easier said than done. I'm not sure how you would go about this in college but at Uni there are lots of different clubs you could join and opportunities to make new friends. You could also find a hobby you would like to take your mind off it such as going to the gym? It's a great stress reliever too.
Reply 2
Hi! Thanks for replying; it means a lot. Well, I am not exactly sure. Perhaps I do leave often after classes, so they may have thought I was not interested in staying. But I am more of an introvert, so I'd prefer to return after classes. I still hang out with them once in a while and check in whenever I can. It just feels painful to experience this, and sometimes I do feel like I am the one initiating check-ins.
Reply 3
Original post by Snowwh
Hi there. Sorry to hear you are feeling left out with your group of friends. Are you sure this is the case and they are just not including you because they think you may not be interested in what they are planning to do? Otherwise it's quite cruel doing that in front of you and it's not childish at all to feel upset about it. It's a completely natural reaction and most people at some point has felt that way so you are not alone with this either. Maybe try and find some other friends. I know that's easier said than done. I'm not sure how you would go about this in college but at Uni there are lots of different clubs you could join and opportunities to make new friends. You could also find a hobby you would like to take your mind off it such as going to the gym? It's a great stress reliever too.

Hi! Thanks for replying; it means a lot. Well, I am not exactly sure. Perhaps I do leave often after classes, so they may have thought I was not interested in staying. But I am more of an introvert, so I'd prefer to return after classes. I still hang out with them once in a while and check in whenever I can. It just feels painful to experience this, and sometimes I do feel like I am the one initiating check-ins.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending