The Student Room Group

MPhil in Scientific Computing 2024 - University of Cambridge

Hi!

Is there anyone here who applied for the MPhil in Scientific Computing (or even the CDT + MPhil in Materials Science) for 2024 entry?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lot.burgstra
Hi!

Is there anyone here who applied for the MPhil in Scientific Computing (or even the CDT + MPhil in Materials Science) for 2024 entry?

Hey,

I applied it for it on the last day of the funding deadline, Jan 4th.
Reply 2
Original post by CV21
Hey,

I applied it for it on the last day of the funding deadline, Jan 4th.

So did !!
Did you hear back yet?
Reply 3
I got accepted an offer a while ago. What about you?
Reply 4
Original post by CV21

What stream did you apply for?
Reply 5
Original post by CV21

I got an unofficial offer on the 19th of January, but I am still waiting to get the official offer from the admission's office. My decision is currently pending.
My situation is a bit of a weird one though as I was on an Integrated Master's but have done the first three years, so I am currently on placement with the option to graduate with a First Class this summer instead.

How long after you got an unofficial offer did you get the actual offer from the admission's team?
Reply 6
Original post by willdavie
What stream did you apply for?

I applied for the atomistic stream, what about you?
Reply 7
I applied for the atomistic stream, what about you?

Atomistic, have my interview tomorrow, got any tips?
Reply 8

I wish I did, but I found the interview a tad confusing. I was only asked about my motivation for applying for the course, what my background in computational chemistry was and how I was planning on funding the MPhil.
My colleagues were saying that with these questions it might be a case of them already knowing they want to take you on, but they interview you to make sure you actually wrote the things on your application.
All I did in the interview was pretty much repeat what was already on my career goals/statement of interest and my CV.

Let me know how it goes!
Reply 9
I wish I did, but I found the interview a tad confusing. I was only asked about my motivation for applying for the course, what my background in computational chemistry was and how I was planning on funding the MPhil.
My colleagues were saying that with these questions it might be a case of them already knowing they want to take you on, but they interview you to make sure you actually wrote the things on your application.
All I did in the interview was pretty much repeat what was already on my career goals/statement of interest and my CV.

Let me know how it goes!

Thanks ! fingers crossed.
Reply 10
Thanks ! fingers crossed.

Did they only give you short notice as well?
I got an email about the interviews on the 15th of January at like 7pm, asking me to interview the next day. Couldn't do the 16th, so I did the 17th instead and then the course admins sent me an email that they recommended me for an offer on the 19th January.

Haven't heard from the Admission's Office of the University since then, but it all went super quickly for me!
Reply 11
I got an unofficial offer on the 19th of January, but I am still waiting to get the official offer from the admission's office. My decision is currently pending.
My situation is a bit of a weird one though as I was on an Integrated Master's but have done the first three years, so I am currently on placement with the option to graduate with a First Class this summer instead.

How long after you got an unofficial offer did you get the actual offer from the admission's team?

Congratulations!

I received an official letter about two weeks after the informal one. But I applied for the continuum stream, so maybe things are a bit different ?
Reply 12

My interview was a bit different from my expectations as well. I was asked about a particular module I am currently studying (Maths undergrad) but it was not technical. Nothing else really.

Best of luck!
Reply 13
Original post by CV21
Congratulations!

I received an official letter about two weeks after the informal one. But I applied for the continuum stream, so maybe things are a bit different ?

That doesn't sound too bad then, it's been about two weeks for me right now so hopefully the offer's coming soon.

So weird that our interviews weren't that intense! I was revising quite a bit the night before as they only gave me day's notice. Did you find it hard to gauge how your interview went as well since it was so short?

Also, did you put down any preferences for a college? I put down Trinity Hall and Wolfson, but I'm honestly not too bothered. Cambridge = Cambridge to me 😂
Reply 14
Well, your offer should reach you any day now 🤞 (the wait makes the days seemingly pass slower I guess).

I agree, the interviews were a bit weird. And like you, I studied lots of material (including second courses) the day before. Due to the simple nature of the interview I had assumed they had already decided I was not a suitable candidate. So, the offer was really a surprise for me.

I didn’t really think I would get an offer when I submitted my application, so I placed Trinity College and Peterhouse, two places I have heard about 😅. But I would be happy with anything at this point (Cambridge = Cambridge)

Do you think you will accept the offer?
Reply 15
Original post by CV21
Well, your offer should reach you any day now 🤞 (the wait makes the days seemingly pass slower I guess).

I agree, the interviews were a bit weird. And like you, I studied lots of material (including second courses) the day before. Due to the simple nature of the interview I had assumed they had already decided I was not a suitable candidate. So, the offer was really a surprise for me.

I didn’t really think I would get an offer when I submitted my application, so I placed Trinity College and Peterhouse, two places I have heard about 😅. But I would be happy with anything at this point (Cambridge = Cambridge)

Do you think you will accept the offer?

Hahaha you're absolutely right. The wait makes the days seem pass so slowly!

I did the exact same, I had to rush the last bit of my application so I rushed looking at colleges but they all seem to look good to me.

I think I will accept my offer once I get it 🙂 Do you think you will?
I was really stressed about finances, but luckily I'm currently working and earning money on placement. I have also taken a look at their budgeting and they budget for way more than what I would spend, so I am a lot less stressed now.
Reply 16
Applying on the last day doesn’t really help with details. But like you say all the colleges look nice. Most of them are stunning.

I know for sure that I will be spending less on rent, food and utilities due to the subsidies. I will probably even have a better view from the window.

I think I will accept my offer. I didn’t really apply to many places and the course structure here seems to be a good mix (Not really interested in doing 8 more exams).

I think funding should be fine. Especially if you are already working and earning money. It would be cheaper than where I stay currently for sure.
Reply 17
Original post by CV21
Applying on the last day doesn’t really help with details. But like you say all the colleges look nice. Most of them are stunning.

I know for sure that I will be spending less on rent, food and utilities due to the subsidies. I will probably even have a better view from the window.

I think I will accept my offer. I didn’t really apply to many places and the course structure here seems to be a good mix (Not really interested in doing 8 more exams).

I think funding should be fine. Especially if you are already working and earning money. It would be cheaper than where I stay currently for sure.

Yeah I agree, I spend a lot less on food, miscellaneous and personal as well. And I doubt there will be a lot of colleges that charge rent at £210 a week, which is what the calculations are based on.

I didn't really apply to many places either. I only applied to Cambridge and Oxford.
I was going to apply to some Swedish universities as well, but I already got the informal acceptance before the Swedish deadlines, so I decided to spare myself some efforts and leave it as I knew I'd rather go to Cambridge anyway.

Yeah I am hoping that I am going to be eligible for at least 1 scholarship, even if it's like only £2000 as that will help me cover basically all of my costs. I'm gonna apply to some other non-Cambridge specific funding places as well I think.

Where are you currently studying?
I just did 3 years at Loughborough University in the UK, but I am originally from the Netherlands.
Reply 18
I think the older colleges charge a little lower for rent compared to the newer ones as they are usually more wealthier due to all the property they had initially acquired. So, 210 could almost be an upper bound.

The Cambridge offer came pretty early. I wish I had also spared myself the effort (and maybe some money) by holding of on applying to even the other places. I had also applied to Oxford, but I don't think I will I choose it over Cambridge. I had also applied to continue in my current place.

I hope you receive the funding 🤞. I did see that this course did have a few scholarships, so you might even be able to get one of them. I should look at ones specific to my country now that you mentioned it.

I am from India, and moved to England for undergrad. I am currently studying Maths at UCL. I am assuming you finished you finished your course last year?
Reply 19
Got an informal offer from Mphil Data intensive science but also planning to sneak in on some of the modelling lectures for continuum stream.
Maybe my offer arrives late. My first college choice is Trinity and someone said they take time to choose their candidates.
Does anyone of you found a reading list or something good material for self studying while waiting?
I started reading the csapp https://csapp.cs.cmu.edu/.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending