The Student Room Group

Sainsbury's shoplifting

Today I was taken aside by shop security when leaving and they saw me taking meds worth £15 in CCTV. The man only asked me to go back and pay for it at the help desk which I did. I paid and he asked for a copy of my receipt to keep. He didn't take any of my personal details, a photo, make me sign any sort of paperwork or ban me. I left after that so don't know what is going to happen now. I am a uni student really struggling financially and I have multiple diagnosed mental health issues and my anxiety is through the roof. I have never done this before and know how wrong it was of me, but selfishly I'm so scared of what could happen, but I know I am not a bad person. Could anyone give me some advice or does anyone have an idea of how businesses usually deal with this kind of thing? If there could be no berating in replies I would really appreciate it as I know I screwed up and already feel horrible enough about it, thanks
Original post by RosieEmma
Today I was taken aside by shop security when leaving and they saw me taking meds worth £15 in CCTV. The man only asked me to go back and pay for it at the help desk which I did. I paid and he asked for a copy of my receipt to keep. He didn't take any of my personal details, a photo, make me sign any sort of paperwork or ban me. I left after that so don't know what is going to happen now. I am a uni student really struggling financially and I have multiple diagnosed mental health issues and my anxiety is through the roof. I have never done this before and know how wrong it was of me, but selfishly I'm so scared of what could happen, but I know I am not a bad person. Could anyone give me some advice or does anyone have an idea of how businesses usually deal with this kind of thing? If there could be no berating in replies I would really appreciate it as I know I screwed up and already feel horrible enough about it, thanks

I reckon you're fine, but let this be a lesson for you in the future.

Mistakes happen in life, the most important thing is to learn from it.
I wouldn't expect further consequences since in the end you purchased the items, but I would take it as a given I was no longer welcome there.
Probably won’t go further but maybe don’t visit thst branch for a few weeks and expect security to keep an eye on you next time
Reply 4
More importantly, are you getting help with your finances and mental health issues?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending