The Student Room Group

Jobs whilst training in radiography

Hi,

Calling out to previous/current diagnostic radiography students, I know for nursing you can pick up bank shifts as healthcare assistant to support the studies, just wondering if that's possible for radiography students or is there an equivalent?

Thanks
Original post by Ti a
Hi,

Calling out to previous/current diagnostic radiography students, I know for nursing you can pick up bank shifts as healthcare assistant to support the studies, just wondering if that's possible for radiography students or is there an equivalent?

Thanks

Diagnostic Radiography students - yes, by 2nd/3rd year as you get signed off in your competencies you can work bank shifts as a support worker.

Therapeutic Radiography students, not so much. The rules are much stricter in radiotherapy due to the much higher doses involved, and all treatments have to be delivered by two qualified, registered radiographers and students don't count as one of those. After you finish your course, you can start as a support worker whilst waiting for your registration to come through - which is what I'm doing, start work on Monday!

Edit: Note, you are aware you get a bursary for doing a healthcare degree as well as your student loan? £5000 per year, plus £1000 per year for hard to recruit courses (radiotherapy gets this, not sure if diagnostic does).
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by HellomynameisNev
Edit: Note, you are aware you get a bursary for doing a healthcare degree as well as your student loan? £5000 per year, plus £1000 per year for hard to recruit courses (radiotherapy gets this, not sure if diagnostic does).

Diagnostic radiographers get the extra £1,000 per year too from the NHS Learning Support Fund:

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf
Reply 4
Lovely thank you! I need to work at least 16 hours per week alongside my course so trying to find more that one way to get an income

Quick Reply

Latest