The Student Room Group

Is student loan haram?

I don't have any other option but to take the student loan but I am afraid if it has interest in it. Due to personal circumstances, is it permissible to take the loan?
Reply 1
Original post by Lillahsgsj
I don't have any other option but to take the student loan but I am afraid if it has interest in it. Due to personal circumstances, is it permissible to take the loan?
I would like to remind you of the severity of Riba, and that it is not something to be taken lightly. Allāh said (meaning):

{O you who have believed, fear Allāh and give up what remains [due to you] of interest, if you should be believers. And if you do not, then take a notice of war from Allâh and His Messenger} [al-Baqarah 2:278-279]

{Those who consume interest cannot stand [on the Day of Resurrection] except as one stands who is being beaten by Satan into insanity. That is because they say, "Trade is [just] like interest." But Allāh has permitted trade and has forbidden interest. So whoever has received an admonition from his Lord and desists may have what is past, and his affair rests with Allāh. But whoever returns [to dealing in interest or usury] - those are the companions of the Fire; they will abide eternally therein.} [al-Baqarah 2:275]

The Messenger of Allah cursed the one who consumes riba and the one who pays it, the one who writes it down and the two who witness it, and he said: they are all the same. [Saheeh Muslim 1598]

Taking a loan to go to university is not a necessity, may Allāh bless you. Going to university is not even a necessity as there are other options such as doing an apprenticeship or starting a business and so on. If you are a Muslimah, then none of this is even necessary as you can just stay home. I know that it may be difficult to hear this but know that Allāh said (meaning):

{And whosoever fears Allâh and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allâh, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allâh will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allâh has set a measure for all things.} [at-Talāq 65:2-3]
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending