The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

idk what university to go to

i’m applying to Kingston university for a foundation program before moving on to psychology undergrad there so could someone please tell me if kingston is a good university for psych? i’ve been hearing a lot of negative things and stuff like it’s not a good uni etc
Original post by slushy1
i’m applying to Kingston university for a foundation program before moving on to psychology undergrad there so could someone please tell me if kingston is a good university for psych? i’ve been hearing a lot of negative things and stuff like it’s not a good uni etc

Hi @slushy1

It's great that you are applying to Kingston! I don't personally study Psychology here at Kingston but I do know that the course is BPS accredited which can be important for when looking for a career after graduating. There also seems to be lots of placement and work experience opportunities which may be the reason why the course is rated high in terms of getting a job after graduating as it has been rated 7th out of 107 UK universities for graduate employment!

Is there anything in particular you are concerned about with the university in general? Don't hesitate to ask I will hopefully be able to give you some more information to help make your decision. There is also an open day coming up Saturday 27th April that may be useful to attend so you can get more of a feel for the course and university and speak to lectures and students in person.

Hope this helps :smile:
-Grace(Kingston Rep)
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hi @slushy1

It's great that you are applying to Kingston! I don't personally study Psychology here at Kingston but I do know that the course is BPS accredited which can be important for when looking for a career after graduating. There also seems to be lots of placement and work experience opportunities which may be the reason why the course is rated high in terms of getting a job after graduating as it has been rated 7th out of 107 UK universities for graduate employment!

Is there anything in particular you are concerned about with the university in general? Don't hesitate to ask I will hopefully be able to give you some more information to help make your decision. There is also an open day coming up Saturday 27th April that may be useful to attend so you can get more of a feel for the course and university and speak to lectures and students in person.

Hope this helps :smile:
-Grace(Kingston Rep)

hi!! honestly i do like the university i’ve just heard a lot of bad rep abt it with a lot of lecturers being somewhat careless and just reading out from the textbooks as a lecture. there’s also the issue of my parents they want me to go to a really good university that would definitely help me get a nice job later on and they’re kind of iffy abt Kingston they don’t think of it as a highly educative environment more so focused on social activities etc :frown:
Original post by slushy1
hi!! honestly i do like the university i’ve just heard a lot of bad rep abt it with a lot of lecturers being somewhat careless and just reading out from the textbooks as a lecture. there’s also the issue of my parents they want me to go to a really good university that would definitely help me get a nice job later on and they’re kind of iffy abt Kingston they don’t think of it as a highly educative environment more so focused on social activities etc :frown:
Hi @slushy1

Sorry to hear that you have heard a bad rep about Kingston! I can only go from my experience studying Fashion Communication and Promotion, that the lecturers really know what they are talking about and I find the lectures to be interactive and useful. My course is definitely industry focused and we are encouraged to take it seriously and treat it like a job, spending 40 hours a week on it including lectures in that time.

It can be hard when factoring in family's opinions as well as your own when making the decision. Maybe bringing them to an open day would help or talking to them about what you like about the university and the high rate of graduate jobs. If you do visit, I would checkout the Penryn Road library as for me that is one of my favourite environments to get my work done, I feel I can really focus there. I think like with most universities the social aspect is kept separately as it's managed by the Student Union that focus on that, while the university focus on bettering the education. Also, it's about the individual creating that balance and at the end of the day everyone is there for the same reason to get a degree.

Any more questions I am happy to answer and I hope this has helped you eventually make a decision you are happy with :smile:
-Grace (Kingston Rep)
Original post by slushy1
Hi again @slushy1

I forget to say and thought it's worth mentioning that Kingston has a module embedded in all courses called Future Skills, I am in my first year and have had three of these sessions so far. They really focus on the skills that employers are looking for and help you stay on track with your future career goals. If you want to look in to this further here's the link Future Skills - Kingston University London

Hope this helps!
-Grace (Kingston Rep)
Reply 5
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hi again @slushy1

I forget to say and thought it's worth mentioning that Kingston has a module embedded in all courses called Future Skills, I am in my first year and have had three of these sessions so far. They really focus on the skills that employers are looking for and help you stay on track with your future career goals. If you want to look in to this further here's the link Future Skills - Kingston University London

Hope this helps!
-Grace (Kingston Rep)
omg honestly ryan for all the info!!! i’m gonna discuss it with my parents further and make em realise kingston is fr a good place to study and besides at the end of the day if i work hard all i really need is a degree if kingstons got good lecturers id be happy to study there! also their crazy of sending me to london would go well with it too since kingston is in london fingers crossed they listen 🤞

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending