The Student Room Group

Dropping out and then re-enrolling at uni?

Dropping out of university and then re-enrolling 3 years later as a mature student after having a full time job working.
Is it common for people to do that?
I wasn't enjoying it first time round but found the focus different afterwards and preferred it better.
Reply 1
Original post by 2024MM
Dropping out of university and then re-enrolling 3 years later as a mature student after having a full time job working.
Is it common for people to do that?
I wasn't enjoying it first time round but found the focus different afterwards and preferred it better.

Yes!!! :smile: What do you want to study? Are you doing some A-Levels like Maths, Further Maths and Economics? :smile:
Original post by thegeek888
Yes!!! :smile: What do you want to study? Are you doing some A-Levels like Maths, Further Maths and Economics? :smile:

No I did humanity subjects, all essay based. I'm thinking of maybe studying English again.
Reply 3
Original post by 2024MM
No I did humanity subjects, all essay based. I'm thinking of maybe studying English again.

So you already have A-Levels?
Original post by thegeek888
So you already have A-Levels?

Yes of course otherwise I wouldn't have been accepted to uni in the first place. To be clear, I studied a levels, went to uni dropped out because I wasn't enjoying it and wanted a job for a couple of years. Now I'm thinking of going back with a different mindset.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by 2024MM
Yes of course otherwise I wouldn't have been accepted to uni in the first place. To be clear, I studied a levels, went to uni dropped out because I wasn't enjoying it and wanted a job for a couple of years. Now I'm thinking of going back with a different mindset.

You should consider the Cambridge University - Foundation Year entry programme if you have BBC and above. :smile:
If they only took AL 3 years ago and have decent grades they’re not likely to need to do a foundation year.

Going back to the original Q, it’s not common to do a FT job alongside an undergrad degree. Your work would need to be extremely flexible to accommodate this and you’d need to be very disciplined about study.
Original post by Admit-One
If they only took AL 3 years ago and have decent grades they’re not likely to need to do a foundation year.

Going back to the original Q, it’s not common to do a FT job alongside an undergrad degree. Your work would need to be extremely flexible to accommodate this and you’d need to be very disciplined about study.

No I wouldn't be doing my job alongside a degree, I'd be leaving my job to go to uni full time. Does that make sense?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by 2024MM
No I wouldn't be doing my job alongside a degree, I'd be leaving my job to go to uni full time. Does that make sense?

It does, apologies, I’d missed the word ‘after’ in your original post. Yes, lots of people go back to study full time after working for a bit.
Original post by Admit-One
It does, apologies, I’d missed the word ‘after’ in your original post. Yes, lots of people go back to study full time after working for a bit.

That's ok and also if I may ask, do you think it's sometimes better to study as a mature student rather than straight after a levels?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 10
Yeah I'm back in the same uni after dropping out twice, this is my third time, and potentially my third drop-out haha
Reply 11
I did it myself. When I went back in my mid-20s I was much better about it all and breezed through my degrees.
Original post by 2024MM
That's ok and also if I may ask, do you think it's sometimes better to study as a mature student rather than straight after a levels?

I think in a lot of cases people would be better taking a break from education and coming back later when they are well motivated rather than just continuing on the conveyer belt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending