The Student Room Group

My friend might be getting extra time and i hate it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous #1
just an update: she got denied it. idk why everyone was getting offended abt this thread
It seems like you feel threatened by your own friend
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous #2
You don't sound like a genuine friend, rather, it sounds like you're trying to keep someone in check so they don't do better than you. I agree that the system is abused in relation to extra time, rest breaks etc, but if they give her extra time, then clearly there is SOME level of necessity there. They don't just give it out to anyone. I hope you can heal, cause life is unfair. Just play the game.
I'm not trying to take it away from her, i just don't think she should have it. If she gets it, then so be it. The universe has favourites, thats not a surprise. I'm just saying how its unfair given her circumstances. It's not like i'm the only one who thinks like this either
Reply 22
Original post by Amy_556
It seems like you feel threatened by your own friend
obviously i'm threatened? She's already super smart and she gets an advantage. Why wouldn't i feel insecure abt this? weird thing to say ngl
No she doesn't have a learning disability or a disorder that makes her have difficulty. She got like 8s and 9s in her GCSE and now we're in year 13, she just happens to do very badly in her mocks and shes asked a teacher if she can have extra time purely because she didn't finish her exams. Not many people finish their exam in my class so idk why she gets to ask and shes close to getting it.
She got a C in her mock for one class and then two Bs in another. She told me that she can't process quickly, but neither can I? It makes me angry how she gets special treatment and I don't even when my grades are clearly lower than hers. I know its not a competition but if teachers opened their eyes more, they would see that she doesn't need it and there are people who do. She complains about how she doesn't get to finish her exams like she did in the GCSEs i can't even complete exams now but i haven't been asking around and seeking help that i don't need.
I just feel like shes using it because she wants an advantage for her alevels.

Should i ask for extra time too or is it too late? I hope they say no to her because this isnt fair.
Tbf many people perform very well in their GCSEs but later on find that they have some form of learning difficulty. However I do agree that just having slow processing is not enough to get extra time. It should be for people that have learning difficulties only.
obviously i'm threatened? She's already super smart and she gets an advantage. Why wouldn't i feel insecure abt this? weird thing to say ngl
how about spending a little less time being jealous of other people and a bit more sorting out your own issues?
Reply 25
Original post by Trinculo
I don't know why anyone gets extra time at all.

Take this to its natural conclusion and someone is working for a big accountancy firm and on a very tight deadline to deliver accounts for year end. Either the dyslexic accountant is going to need a bit of extra time to deliver the work (time which doesn't exist) - in which case they not helping the firm or their client - or the dyslexic accountant doesn't need that extra time - in which case why did they get it for their GCSEs 10 years earlier?
Nan I understand why people get extra time bc some people truly do need it. And i have never complained abt that and i find it completely reasonable. What I don't find reasonable is when people try and get it because they can't cope with the writing. Your point is very true but then again there are more factors that might affect their studies compared to work ig?
Reply 26
That's between her and what the school decides, you have no say. You seem jealous , work on your insecurities or study more

Take this to its natural conclusion and someone is working for a big accountancy firm and on a very tight deadline to deliver accounts for year end. Either the dyslexic accountant is going to need a bit of extra time to deliver the work (time which doesn't exist) - in which case they not helping the firm or their client - or the dyslexic accountant doesn't need that extra time - in which case why did they get it for their GCSEs 10 years earlier?

The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 and Equality Act 2010 cover these issues in depth.
Reply 28
Original post by black tea
how about spending a little less time being jealous of other people and a bit more sorting out your own issues?
I'm trying
Reply 29
Original post by Amy_556
That's between her and what the school decides, you have no say. You seem jealous , work on your insecurities or study more
I never said that I had a say in whether she gets extra time or not? what. I'm just saying how its unfair. thats all

But we are not talking about jobs as an accountant here we are talking about exams. There are many other jobs which aren't so time pressured which people with learning difficulties are perfectly capable of doing. If people do worse in their exams it means they are less likely to get these jobs in the future because of a disadvantage they had at school, even though they are just as capable of doing them as anyone else is. Besides extra time does not compensate for the disadvantages which children with learning difficulties receive on a daily basis. Have fun with ur job as an accountant tho.
Reply 31
Original post by Daniel13257
Tbf many people perform very well in their GCSEs but later on find that they have some form of learning difficulty. However I do agree that just having slow processing is not enough to get extra time. It should be for people that have learning difficulties only.
THANK YOU, this is literally what i'm saying. I'm not against people who have extra time bc of an actual learning problem.

Good job the world has moved on from your way of thinking. The audit firm needs someone with insight and integrity who can analyse information, ask the right questions and come to the right independent opinions.
Reply 33
Original post by snoopadoop
Let’s focus on you. If you find you need extra time and you think you may have a basis you are old enough to go to the gp alone and ask. It’s not up to your parents and you don’t need them there. Anyone at 16 can and younger too if you declare yourself Gillick competent. The idea is the a level isn’t meant to be a speed trial but ability so if you find you are running out of time you may well have a case. As for your friend, try to use this as a chance to see what is right for you and not be bothered by them. Some schools have loads of people with use of laptop and extra time but it needs to be that teachers think you deserve it and it’s your normal way of working so start soon. Good luck.
You're replying to the wrong person and not the OP.
Reply 34
Nan I understand why people get extra time bc some people truly do need it. And i have never complained abt that and i find it completely reasonable. What I don't find reasonable is when people try and get it because they can't cope with the writing. Your point is very true but then again there are more factors that might affect their studies compared to work ig?
Yet you started this thread thinking it was 'reasonable' to ask for extra time: "i can't even complete exams now but i haven't been asking around and seeking help that i don't need...Should i ask for extra time too or is it too late?"
Reply 35

Original post by Chronoscope
The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 and Equality Act 2010 cover these issues in depth.

Original post by Daniel13257
But we are not talking about jobs as an accountant here we are talking about exams. There are many other jobs which aren't so time pressured which people with learning difficulties are perfectly capable of doing. If people do worse in their exams it means they are less likely to get these jobs in the future because of a disadvantage they had at school, even though they are just as capable of doing them as anyone else is. Besides extra time does not compensate for the disadvantages which children with learning difficulties receive on a daily basis. Have fun with ur job as an accountant tho.

Original post by snoopadoop
Good job the world has moved on from your way of thinking. The audit firm needs someone with insight and integrity who can analyse information, ask the right questions and come to the right independent opinions.

Cool. You guys can have the surgeon that needed extra time in order to pass GCSE Maths.
Cool. You guys can have the surgeon that needed extra time in order to pass GCSE Maths.
how does needing extra time to pass GCSE maths affect someone's ability to be a competent surgeon?
Your really not getting it are you. If someone is slightly slower at maths than someone else it will not affect their ability as a surgeon in the slightest. Same with the vast majority of jobs.
You might find this link interesting

https://web.musc.edu/about/news-center/2022/04/08/the-dyslexic-cardiologist-musc-doctor-gives-tedxcharleston-talk-about-his-path-to-successful-career
Reply 39
Original post by Surnia
Yet you started this thread thinking it was 'reasonable' to ask for extra time: "i can't even complete exams now but i haven't been asking around and seeking help that i don't need...Should i ask for extra time too or is it too late?"
Yes but the point you're failing to see is that the person who i was writing about doesn't have a learning disability. They just can't finish in the time it takes, that happens to everyone. If someone is getting help and I relate to that person, obviously im gonna look into if i can get the same help...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending