The Student Room Group

Would it be rude to invite another friend?

I’m staying at a friends new flat and invited another friend to come with me from back home (when I was drunk but they remembered rip) anyway- would it be cheeky to ask the friend I’m staying wit if my other friend could also stay with them? I’d hate to seem rude. I’ll just make up an excuse to the friend I invited and see them another time…thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’m staying at a friends new flat and invited another friend to come with me from back home (when I was drunk but they remembered rip) anyway- would it be cheeky to ask the friend I’m staying wit if my other friend could also stay with them? I’d hate to seem rude. I’ll just make up an excuse to the friend I invited and see them another time…thanks!

As with most things the answer would be, it depends. It depends on the type and strength of your friendship. Many friends wont mind as long as the other mate is not weird. If it is a boy-girl situation, it might get tricky.
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800
As with most things the answer would be, it depends. It depends on the type and strength of your friendship. Many friends wont mind as long as the other mate is not weird. If it is a boy-girl situation, it might get tricky.

We’re all girls. The friend I invited is one I’ve known for years- the friends I’m staying with I met at uni in sept :smile: thanks
Reply 3
We’re all girls. The friend I invited is one I’ve known for years- the friends I’m staying with I met at uni in sept :smile: thanks

Oh ok. I am not female, so wont fully understand the dynamics of such interactions.

I have tagged @Crafty Mum @Cote1 @Scotney, who could provide specific views.
Reply 4
My take on it is this.

Hard to say. Some people would be annoyed. Others wouldn't mind.

I think that you could say to your very old friend that you were drunk and because you like being with her you forgot that you were inviting her to someone else's place, without checking first that it was okay to invite her.

Would the two be likely to get along? If not, don't proceed.

You know the friend you are staying with and may know if they would mind you inviting someone? If they would mind then tell the person you invited that you were drunk and arrange to see them another time.

If you don't think that they would mind, or feel left out, and you think that they would be happy with it, then you you could ask them if they mind your old friend joining you for a short period of time but say you are absolutely fine with it if not. Don't tell them the invitation has already been given.

If the visit proceeds I would keep it short. And do everything possible to make it less of an imposition. Take her for a meal to say thanks etc.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Cote1
My take on it is this.

I think that you could say to your very old friend that you were drunk and because you like being with her you forgot that you were inviting her to someone else's place, without checking first that it was okay to invite her.

You know the friend you are staying with and may know if they would mind you inviting someone? If they would mind then tell the person you invited that you were drunk and arrange to see them another time.

If you don't think that they would mind, or feel left out, and you think that they would be happy with it, then you you could ask them if they mind your old friend joining you for a short period of time but say you are absolutely fine with it if not. Don't tell them the invitation has already been given.

If the visit proceeds I would keep it short. And do everything possible to make it less of an imposition. Take her for a meal to say thanks etc.

Thank you.
Reply 6

I wouldn't invite someone the friend didn't know -
Reply 7
Only you can judge this.Are both girls outgoing and happy to be friendly to other girls.If you think they would get on then ask but do not reveal you have already asked your old friend.Keep visit short and sweet ,a weekend or few days max.
Reply 8
Difficult one. When did you last see your friend? If it’s been a while she might be looking forward to having you to herself and if you just turn up with someone else she may think that you just wanted somewhere convenient to stay. Best to phone and tell the truth. See how she reacts and go from there
Reply 9
Original post by Wired_1800
Thank you.

Original post by Cote1
My take on it is this.

Thanks guys! I think my uni friend might be annoyed bc she has social anxiety and likes to see ppl she knows, I’ve thought about it more- the friend I’m staying with I lived with until recently so we already know each other well- I just didn’t want to upset my old friend but I’ll make up an excuse and arrange to do something with them another time. I don’t like doing that but I realise that I’d hate to make my friend who’s letting me stay uncomfortable in her own space! I also get the impression that she’s excited to just see me and our other friends that we all know bc I haven’t seen them in a while :smile: thanks for your inputs!! I’ll buy my friend lunch/ drinks whilst in there!
Reply 10
Thanks guys! I think my uni friend might be annoyed bc she has social anxiety and likes to see ppl she knows, I’ve thought about it more- the friend I’m staying with I lived with until recently so we already know each other well- I just didn’t want to upset my old friend but I’ll make up an excuse and arrange to do something with them another time. I don’t like doing that but I realise that I’d hate to make my friend who’s letting me stay uncomfortable in her own space! I also get the impression that she’s excited to just see me and our other friends that we all know bc I haven’t seen them in a while :smile: thanks for your inputs!! I’ll buy my friend lunch/ drinks whilst in there!

Good solution
Reply 11

Good decision.You sound like a thoughtful person and a good friend to both girls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending