The Student Room Group

My friend might be getting extra time and i hate it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trinculo
Cool. You guys can have the surgeon that needed extra time in order to pass GCSE Maths.
you can have the one that has a shaky hand or is slapdash and is negligent I know who I would choose
If you want extra time you should have your own assessment done instead of comparing your capabilities to hers. Go ask your GP or your school.

Only a test and herself can tell what help she needs tbh regardless if you think you know her well.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by tamil fever
Honestly it's a shame I can't rep your comment again.
why would u report their comment for spreading useful information.
Original post by Daniel13257
why would u report their comment for spreading useful information.

REP not report. like thumbs up
Original post by Anonymous
Its only starting to annoy me more because we've been doing timed tests in class that have to be completed in 30 minutes. But if you finish before the time limit, you can just hand it in and just sit there and wait. And she just gives it in at like the 20 minute mark and sits their happily. She doesn't have a disadvantage, her processing time is fine. Everyone process things slowly, like it takes me 5 minutes to understand the text. It's not going to click before that, its normal but she seems like its not. If you can't tell, i'm extremely annoyed. Her predicated is already AAB. I want extra time so bad. I'm on a BCC and yes i do revise.
I'd say at this point, don't really pay attention to what she is doing. I'm in year 13 too, and though I don't know how long you've known your friend, I DO know that at this point it's everyone for themselves. I don't have any learning disabilities or things that may disadvantage me in exams and I was offered extra time by one of my teachers for mocks (and didn't get it but that's another issue lol) - my friend could have the same argument as you. If timing is an issue for her, then I see why she got offered it, but when you guys do those 30 min tests that's obvs different to the actual 2hr exams we'll be sitting in May. She's most likely used to the low stakes of class tests and might crack under the pressure. You genuinely don't know what's going on in her head, because she may not decide to tell you everything even if she usually does, so try not to think that what you're seeing is exactly what's going on. I've found myself slightly annoyed at times with my peers saying they're "getting such bad grades" and "not where they want to be" but then they're getting like As and Bs, some even A*s, but they still ask for extra help and sign up to extra classes etc. Don't feel any way about asking for extra help or extra time, because I'm sure you guys will stay friends but those grades will also stay with you and have an effect on your future. hope everything goes well and all the best for exams <3
I'm trying

keep trying, that's all that matters. try not to feel threatened by it, even though that's easier said than done atp. I've seen so much ppl in my year group change from year 7 until now, so don't pay much attention to your friend and her needs. if it still bothers you, just tell her that it makes you feel uncomfortable talking about exams and whatnot and you'd rather not talk about it. you guys are friends so she should understand.
No she doesn't have a learning disability or a disorder that makes her have difficulty. She got like 8s and 9s in her GCSE and now we're in year 13, she just happens to do very badly in her mocks and shes asked a teacher if she can have extra time purely because she didn't finish her exams. Not many people finish their exam in my class so idk why she gets to ask and shes close to getting it.
She got a C in her mock for one class and then two Bs in another. She told me that she can't process quickly, but neither can I? It makes me angry how she gets special treatment and I don't even when my grades are clearly lower than hers. I know its not a competition but if teachers opened their eyes more, they would see that she doesn't need it and there are people who do. She complains about how she doesn't get to finish her exams like she did in the GCSEs i can't even complete exams now but i haven't been asking around and seeking help that i don't need.
I just feel like shes using it because she wants an advantage for her alevels.
Should i ask for extra time too or is it too late? I hope they say no to her because this isnt fair.

I feel like some of my friends might be feeling like this about me and I totally see where people are coming from but I just wanted to give my personal opinion and experience. I'm currently in year 12 and had extra time for my GCSEs however, I still didn't do greatly and I now am allowed to type and have rest breaks. I don't have any learning disabilities or disorders however I do have very low processing. I struggle to focus in both lessons and exams however, exams are worse for me. when I can focus or understand a topic I tend to do quite well. I can see the frustration when in a situation such as yourself and I'd say my main piece of advice is speak to someone at your school/collage who could help with possibly getting you extra time because even if its too late now it may help in University (if your choosing to go)
Original post by Surnia
So where do you stop? If you go to uni and see someone with better marks getting extra time, will you ask for it too? In a job, if someone gets extra time to complete their tasks, will you want it too?
It sounds like this has only become an issue because of your friend and it wouldn't bother you otherwise. You don't know all her circumstances, but if you have a problem then shouldn't you be telling your parents and seeing your GP for it to be formally raised with the school?

adjustments are supposed to be reasonable in order to support someone to adequately complete given tasks, there has to be some level of equity involved
Original post by tamil fever
REP not report. like thumbs up

Ahhh my bad. Had no clue what rep meant. That's why I was confused.
No she doesn't have a learning disability or a disorder that makes her have difficulty. She got like 8s and 9s in her GCSE and now we're in year 13, she just happens to do very badly in her mocks and shes asked a teacher if she can have extra time purely because she didn't finish her exams. Not many people finish their exam in my class so idk why she gets to ask and shes close to getting it.
She got a C in her mock for one class and then two Bs in another. She told me that she can't process quickly, but neither can I? It makes me angry how she gets special treatment and I don't even when my grades are clearly lower than hers. I know its not a competition but if teachers opened their eyes more, they would see that she doesn't need it and there are people who do. She complains about how she doesn't get to finish her exams like she did in the GCSEs i can't even complete exams now but i haven't been asking around and seeking help that i don't need.
I just feel like shes using it because she wants an advantage for her alevels.
Should i ask for extra time too or is it too late? I hope they say no to her because this isnt fair.

My advice is focus on what you're doing and your success than what other people are doing. Life's unfair and if she gets this support then that goes to show you just that.
Original post by Daniel13257
Ahhh my bad. Had no clue what rep meant. That's why I was confused.

Nws man, it's like TSR language at this point lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending