The Student Room Group

I'm almost 21 and have never been in a relationship

Scroll to see replies

It's supposed to be but he still hasn't ever dated and I really don't know why.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
What area are you in? I'm in the South East and feel a bit bitter about the opportunities it's denied me. The people and unfriendliness suck. Every good encounter I've had has been with a foreigner. You just get that boring, callous, cold hearted, user feeling from people.

I'm not aware that people from the South East have a harder time dating, forming bonds, getting married, etc. that anywhere else in the country. Even if that was the case, why not go out with these foreigners you've had good encounters with or look to move to a different region.
Original post by foxsmum
It's supposed to be but he still hasn't ever dated and I really don't know why.
It's good you're concerned. My parents never told me they were about my singlehood. I think privately they find it hard to understand. But they should try my area in my day and age then they might see how cold it is.
I see some are doing that thing of blaming the presence of a Y chromosome for being rather single than asking is it a skill issue?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by H8Courtship217
well its a fact of life that far more men than women end up chronically alone, single, later than normal

Really?!?

Where's your source or evidence that confirms this "fact"? If it's a "fact", then you should be able to quote / reference a credible impartial source that we can all check that what you're claiming is true.

If you can't provide this, then it's NOT a fact... it's propaganda, or at best, only your opinion (or rather your belief).
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Really?!?

Where's your source or evidence that confirms this "fact"? If it's a "fact", then you should be able to quote / reference a credible impartial source that we can all check that what you're claiming is true.

If you can't provide this, then it's NOT a fact... it's propaganda, or at best, only your opinion (or rather your belief).
just from what i've noticed over the years
Yeah I'm a guy. Women have it easier in this regard no doubt. Not whingeing it's just a fact.

I would dispute that... I think women have their own issues to deal with in the dating world.

Fair enough, they may not have to worry about approaching someone and facing rejection; however, they DO have the unpleasant business of having to blowing someone out, which is never a nice thing to do unless either:-

a) It's someone you dislike (either personally, or they made a bad impression)
b) It's an overconfident guy and she wants to put him in his place
c) She's 14 years old... and a harsh rejection makes her look "cool" to her friends.

Furthermore, I've said this multiple times, but you can't really "Pick and choose" who finds you attractive (you could argue guys have the privilege of only needing to approach women they're actually attracted to?). Bear in mind, as well as the good looking / desirable types, there's also a variety of types they'd rather not have anything to do with (for whatever reason) who would approach her. Also, some guys take rejection very badly and there's the issue of personal safety she has to consider when blowing someone out.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Every day I feel less and less desirable, despite going to the gym and trying to heal myself physically (I suffer from baldness but I take drugs recommended by the trichologist... I hope they will work, because without hair I would be horrible).

There's not much else to say. I have girl friends with whom I contact every now and then, but from a romantic point of view it's a disaster and the fact that a girl likes me seems inconceivable to me.
I'm a decade older than you and I'm not too bothered about being in a relationship, nor have I even had one. I know it's standard for people to want to find the one, but really there are thousands nay perhaps even millions out there who could be the one, so it's just a socially constructed fallacy to think there's only one person you should fall for and that you should fall in love at all.

Focus on yourself and achieving what you want to achieve. Try not to let a lack of a relationship get you down because nobody really needs one, you just need to work on yourself.
Original post by foxsmum
Girl here--we DO have it easier. Guys are always expected to make the first move so they have to put themselves out there for rejection.

So what?

As I said earlier, rejections aren't the end of the world. For sure, the first time it'll probably hurt (especially if it's a crush that's gone on for some time)... but in the real, adult world, rejections tend to be either

a) getting blown out in a pub / club type environment or
b) ignored on dating apps.

In either of those scenarios, why is is such a big deal that some random stranger didn't fancy "making babies" with him? Plenty more people out there. I remember reading about how George Clooney got blown out by a waitress he liked, because she had agreed to go home with someone else... so if it can happen to an A list celebrity, then anyone can get blown out.

There are all sorts of reasons a girl could say "No" to a guy... many of which may be her issue and not his. From my experience, most rejections aren't too bad... the only people who really get harsh rejections are those who those who create a bad first impression (e.g. act creepy, sleazy or otherwise behaving inappropriately) or those who won't take a polite "No thanks" at first.

Yes, there are some girls who think they're The Queen of Sheba, and will reject anyone they don't like harshly, but (from my experience) they're uncommon (less than 10%?). Still, my take on that is that she's done me a favour; she's shown me just what a real "female-dog" she is from the out-set, instead of messing with my head 2-3 months down the line.

In any case, not approaching someone for fear of rejection is about as effective as solving the problem as an Ostrich sticking its head in the sand when faced with danger.

Remember this:- Ships are safest when they're in the harbour... but that's NOT what ships were build for.
Original post by Old Skool Freak
So what?

As I said earlier, rejections aren't the end of the world. For sure, the first time it'll probably hurt (especially if it's a crush that's gone on for some time)... but in the real, adult world, rejections tend to be either

a) getting blown out in a pub / club type environment or
b) ignored on dating apps.

In either of those scenarios, why is is such a big deal that some random stranger didn't fancy "making babies" with him? Plenty more people out there. I remember reading about how George Clooney got blown out by a waitress he liked, because she had agreed to go home with someone else... so if it can happen to an A list celebrity, then anyone can get blown out.

There are all sorts of reasons a girl could say "No" to a guy... many of which may be her issue and not his. From my experience, most rejections aren't too bad... the only people who really get harsh rejections are those who those who create a bad first impression (e.g. act creepy, sleazy or otherwise behaving inappropriately) or those who won't take a polite "No thanks" at first.

Yes, there are some girls who think they're The Queen of Sheba, and will reject anyone they don't like harshly, but (from my experience) they're uncommon (less than 10%?). Still, my take on that is that she's done me a favour; she's shown me just what a real "female-dog" she is from the out-set, instead of messing with my head 2-3 months down the line.

In any case, not approaching someone for fear of rejection is about as effective as solving the problem as an Ostrich sticking its head in the sand when faced with danger.

Remember this:- Ships are safest when they're in the harbour... but that's NOT what ships were build for.
I think what foxsmum was getting at was we must conform to what society expects us to do, that is, guys expecting to make the first move. This is not new behaviour - in fact if you go far back enough in history men have always been the one to make the first move.

And why should this change any time soon if it has worked successfully for everyone thus far?
Reply 30
Original post by H8Courtship217
why am i not surprised that your a guy, male.

Yes, I'm a guy. Well done Sherlock!
Reply 31
Every day I feel less and less desirable, despite going to the gym and trying to heal myself physically (I suffer from baldness but I take drugs recommended by the trichologist... I hope they will work, because without hair I would be horrible).

There's not much else to say. I have girl friends with whom I contact every now and then, but from a romantic point of view it's a disaster and the fact that a girl likes me seems inconceivable to me.
Bro do not sweat it! My advice is to focus on bettering yourself! Get educated and make money! When you have money you will have confidence. Also 21 is young! Life isn't a race you can get your first girlfriend when you are 24 or older.
Reply 32
Yeah I'm a guy. Women have it easier in this regard no doubt. Not whingeing it's just a fact.
I would say they have it harder ish. As a guy you can get married at any age but if a woman wants to have kids she has to marry young. It really depends on the context.
Reply 33
Original post by jay2013
Same. And I'm 34 almost 35. I would say it gets better, but it just doesn't in my experience
I do not mean to offend, but perhaps there is a mental illness holding you back? You could have some trauma in your life. Either way I recommend to not focus on girls but on yourself.
Original post by Anonymous #2
I think what foxsmum was getting at was we must conform to what society expects us to do, that is, guys expecting to make the first move. This is not new behaviour - in fact if you go far back enough in history men have always been the one to make the first move.

And why should this change any time soon if it has worked successfully for everyone thus far?

... and what I'm getting at is that rejections aren't the end of the world.

Everyone seems to be making out like approaching a girl requires the preparation and charisma of an Olympic athlete.... and a single rejection means the poor guy is damned to the dark chasms of hell. As I said, if it's a friend you've liked for years, I get how / why a rejection would hurt somewhat (I still don't think that should stop people from trying... if the surrounding signs are good). Still if you're both grown-up about it, a friendship can still persevere in most cases.

But if it's a random person, you're probably never going to see again (and if you do, they're unlikely to even remember), I don't get why everyone is making such a big deal of it. Rejections are no different to falling off a bike... after a short while, you learn to dust yourself off and continue your journey.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by deuscat
Bro do not sweat it! My advice is to focus on bettering yourself! Get educated and make money! When you have money you will have confidence. Also 21 is young! Life isn't a race you can get your first girlfriend when you are 24 or older.

I think you'll find that most of the people who post on these kind of threads aren't actually interested (or serious) about solving their problems (you notice how no one has actually asked for any ideas / suggestions on how they can improve their outlook?)

It seems these threads are just virtual Mothers Meetings where lonely hearts can get together and continue their "Woe is me" 😢 🎻😿 type diatribes on how bad they have it. No offence, but you guys do sound like a bunch of old women. :
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 36
Original post by foxsmum
Our son is 20 goes to the gym and I'm told (by his friends) that girls think he's cute YET he's never had a girlfriend. I really don't get it. His friends have all had gf's. So I can really understand where you're coming from. I know he'd like to have a gf but...I'm going to post his pic so you can see that you're not alone He's not the most outgoing type, maybe you're the same?
Attachment not found

hey there :smile: sorry for the late reply. I’m the person who wrote this post.

Yeah i’m kind of the same, but lately things have been going differently.

I go to the gym too and i’ve got a muscular body. Although someone compliments me on it, i often don’t really like myself. I’m on a long way to achieving my dream body but i might be closer than i think.

I know some girls find me cute, but I often compare myself to extremely attractive guys in my university, who are maybe even taller than me (i’m already 6’2) or simply generally better looking. I don’t really like the way i look and gym kind of helps me feel better. I think your son might feel the same: he might know some girls like him but he either doesn’t like them or, more probably, he believes those girls have sight issues and forgot their glasses at home.

Being outgoing definitely helps a lot. I consider myself as an outgoing person, but also a shy one: i struggle with first approach but then i become super social with people.

So, i’d suggest him to find ways to stay away from home during the day, to try to find places and situations where he can talk to new girls. It’s pretty normal to be nervous and shy around girls, but it’s also normal to want to talk to them. If he can force himself to do that (for example: knowing you only have 1 week to get to know someone will force you to do it in that amount of time… that’s happened to me), he’ll overcome this fear slowly. By the way, first or then, he’ll have to and he will.

What i’d mainly suggest, before doing this, is to find out things about himself first. If you know what you like and what you don’t, if you know what kind of person you are and what kind of people you like, you can bring something to a conversation and the other person won’t feel like it’s a one sided discussion.

I wish him the best of luck!
Reply 37
It's good you're concerned. My parents never told me they were about my singlehood. I think privately they find it hard to understand. But they should try my area in my day and age then they might see how cold it is.

it’s cold everywhere man… even here where i live. It’s colder than in the past due to social networks, which make socializing easier online but harder offline. Now, an approach in the daily life is unexpected but i think it’s an actually good thing cause approaching a girl in real life is way more appreciated than online. Nowadays, most relationships begin online and it’s a pity… but i don’t have socials and that’s a way to push me to approach people in real life.

So, if your parents lived today they’d be struggling too (without embracing the online dating thing).
it’s cold everywhere man… even here where i live. It’s colder than in the past due to social networks, which make socializing easier online but harder offline. Now, an approach in the daily life is unexpected but i think it’s an actually good thing cause approaching a girl in real life is way more appreciated than online. Nowadays, most relationships begin online and it’s a pity… but i don’t have socials and that’s a way to push me to approach people in real life.

So, if your parents lived today they’d be struggling too (without embracing the online dating thing).
Fair enough. I hate online dating I must try something else that feels a bit more genuine and less soulless.
Original post by deuscat
I would say they have it harder ish. As a guy you can get married at any age but if a woman wants to have kids she has to marry young. It really depends on the context.
well men are far more likely than women are to reach their 30s and 40s or older and to have always been alone, single, i don't remember the last time i heard of a woman reaching a decade like that and never having been with anyone before, but i've heard of lots of men like that, and it reminds me of statement i heard in response to that that only added fuel to fire in making me more angry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending