The Student Room Group

I'm almost 21 and have never been in a relationship

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I think you'll find that most of the people who post on these kind of threads aren't actually interested (or serious) about solving their problems (you notice how no one has actually asked for any ideas / suggestions on how they can improve their outlook?)

It seems these threads are just virtual Mothers Meetings where lonely hearts can get together and continue their "Woe is me" 😢 🎻😿 type diatribes on how bad they have it. No offence, but you guys do sound like a bunch of old women. :
lmao so true. I don't mean to judge them but what are they gonna do their entire life? Complain? Anyone can do anything.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 41
However, there is one thing I would like to add. Western countries such as the USA and UK are lonelier than other countries. Example is Cuba where the poverty forces people to form communities. When those same Cubans come to USA some of them become depressed due to the loneliness. Why? Well USA and UK are very individualist countries.
Reply 42
Original post by deuscat
I do not mean to offend, but perhaps there is a mental illness holding you back? You could have some trauma in your life. Either way I recommend to not focus on girls but on yourself.
Yes I have had trauma (3 medical conditions - one of which is now cured, the other two I manage, none life threatening, however). I've also had depression for many years - I've contemplated suicide twice, although I've not acted on it.
anyway i'm sure i'm right
Original post by H8Courtship217
well men are far more likely than women are to reach their 30s and 40s or older and to have always been alone, single, i don't remember the last time i heard of a woman reaching a decade like that and never having been with anyone before, but i've heard of lots of men like that, and it reminds me of statement i heard in response to that that only added fuel to fire in making me more angry.

Sorry, but I'm still not buying this 'it's all & only men who reach their middle-ages never having experienced love' malarkey. You're obviously heading in this direction yourself; therefore, I'm sure there's more than an element of confirmation bias in your "research" (that's if you're actually doing any).

Believe it or not, there are women who are in the same position. Furthermore, as pointed out earlier in this thread, thanks to Mother Nature, age affects women in a much more profound way than men (e.g. The Menopause; the stress things like child birth has on their bodies etc.). All of these things makes it much harder for older women than men of a similar age. For men, as long as they look after themselves, they can be desirable at any age (e.g. the likes of Richard Gere, the late Sean Connery and Patrick Swayze could all have easily gotten with women 1/2 their ages if they wanted to).

anyway i'm sure i'm right

Still, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend you're right for a second... What are you doing to try and improve your outlook? What are you doing to ensure yo don't end up one of these lonely men? What are you doing to try to meet and interact with women? I mean, I'll give credit where it's due... at least the OP seems to be actively looking for a solution, what about the rest of you?!? With only 1-2 exceptions here, you all seem to be happiest sitting on your backsides waiting for the inevitable to happen. The vast majority of men in the world can find partners, so what makes you different / special? If you can't be asked to help yourself, why should anyone have any sympathy for you if you do end up old and lonely?

IMHO, there are only two types of men who will end up this way:-

1) Those who don't do anything to help themselves, and moan about it on forums like these
2) Those who have nothing going for them, but feel they're entitled to get with the hottest women out there.

There's an approximate 50/50 male / female ratio in the world (unless maybe you're in China), so as long as you've got realistic expectations and you make a conscious effort, I don't see why you have to end up old and lonely.

Getting angry is not going to solve your problem. However, learning how to play the game, acquiring decent interpersonal skills and putting in some graft is certainly a good start.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous #1
hey there :smile: sorry for the late reply. I’m the person who wrote this post.

Yeah i’m kind of the same, but lately things have been going differently.

I go to the gym too and i’ve got a muscular body. Although someone compliments me on it, i often don’t really like myself. I’m on a long way to achieving my dream body but i might be closer than i think.

I know some girls find me cute, but I often compare myself to extremely attractive guys in my university, who are maybe even taller than me (i’m already 6’2) or simply generally better looking. I don’t really like the way i look and gym kind of helps me feel better. I think your son might feel the same: he might know some girls like him but he either doesn’t like them or, more probably, he believes those girls have sight issues and forgot their glasses at home.

Being outgoing definitely helps a lot. I consider myself as an outgoing person, but also a shy one: i struggle with first approach but then i become super social with people.

So, i’d suggest him to find ways to stay away from home during the day, to try to find places and situations where he can talk to new girls. It’s pretty normal to be nervous and shy around girls, but it’s also normal to want to talk to them. If he can force himself to do that (for example: knowing you only have 1 week to get to know someone will force you to do it in that amount of time… that’s happened to me), he’ll overcome this fear slowly. By the way, first or then, he’ll have to and he will.

What i’d mainly suggest, before doing this, is to find out things about himself first. If you know what you like and what you don’t, if you know what kind of person you are and what kind of people you like, you can bring something to a conversation and the other person won’t feel like it’s a one sided discussion.

I wish him the best of luck!
He's in basic training right now in the RAF...not exactly a target rich enviroment! You and him sound A LOT alike. He's very aloof with strangers but once he warms up to them he's pretty outgoing. I just re-read your message, you understand him perfectly. Hopefully it helps that you're not alone.
6'2 is very tall! Our son is 6ft and was always the tallest one in his classes and when he played rugby.
I think social media doesn't help you guys because it makes you feel like you have to look a certain way to attract somebody. This is not true. I know a lot of ugly people that are married right now. 😂
well men are far more likely than women are to reach their 30s and 40s or older and to have always been alone, single, i don't remember the last time i heard of a woman reaching a decade like that and never having been with anyone before, but i've heard of lots of men like that, and it reminds me of statement i heard in response to that that only added fuel to fire in making me more angry.

What are you angry about? If men chose to opt out of dating because they are scared of a woman saying to their no advances, then that is their choice. It is not something to get angry about.
Reply 47
Original post by foxsmum
He's in basic training right now in the RAF...not exactly a target rich enviroment! You and him sound A LOT alike. He's very aloof with strangers but once he warms up to them he's pretty outgoing. I just re-read your message, you understand him perfectly. Hopefully it helps that you're not alone.
6'2 is very tall! Our son is 6ft and was always the tallest one in his classes and when he played rugby.
I think social media doesn't help you guys because it makes you feel like you have to look a certain way to attract somebody. This is not true. I know a lot of ugly people that are married right now. 😂

I feel like a very large number of young guys suffer from this. Social networks surely worsened the situation, because their main goal was to improve socialization but, in reality, they simply made socialization way more sketchy. People are diffident towards others nowadays, in real life.

I use reddit and yesterday a girl made a post complaining about guys not approaching anymore in real life and only through social networks. It got around 550 comments. Most of the people who commented were guys in their ‘20s /‘30s and the vast majority of them complained about the difficulty of approaching girls/women. At the same time, they also said approaching through social networks is pretty useless, cause most of guys approach this way and girls have an incredible amount of choice there. A friend of mine showed me her tinder profile and she was receiving messages from hundreds of different men every week, while i know guys who get texted by girls maybe once or twice a year… and that’s still pretty good for a guy.

Yeah, on socials you see literally models living awesome lives. More often than not, they’re not THAT good looking (it’s just filters/lighting and so on). Handsome men like Delon or Pitt still exist ofc… but generally if i walk down the streets of my city, i see lots of average looking guys with pretty girls and viceversa.

My own trauma regarding looks and confidence comes from a very depressing period: from when i was 10 until I was 16/17 years old, I had a friend who was a model. You can already imagine how much it hurt to walk with him on the street… and I myself am not bad at all aesthetically, but I was still a kid at the time and he was identical to Brad Pitt. So, I grew up with a friend who got looks and approaches from girls every time we went out… and we both know how few guys got attention/approaches from girls, aesthetically speaking. I obviously didn't get any attention either in real life or on social media. Now I notice a few more glances, even though I'm not Alain Delon.
Original post by Gazpacho.
What are you angry about? If men chose to opt out of dating because they are scared of a woman saying to their no advances, then that is their choice. It is not something to get angry about.
why is it something that men should not get angry about? i like to think that it means nature is more cruel to men than it is for women in which it causes far more men than women to reach a certain age, decade, and have always been alone, never been with anyone before.

Technically speaking, i did have a GF before but im reluctant to call her an ex-GF, because we were incompatable, with each other sexually, because of that, she didn't feel like a true girlfriend.
why is it something that men should not get angry about? i like to think that it means nature is more cruel to men than it is for women in which it causes far more men than women to reach a certain age, decade, and have always been alone, never been with anyone before.

Technically speaking, i did have a GF before but im reluctant to call her an ex-GF, because we were incompatable, with each other sexually, because of that, she didn't feel like a true girlfriend.

You’ve chosen to opt out of seeking a relationship. You can’t be angry at the world around you for that as it a choice you’ve made.

So either choose to stay single or do something about it. It is your choice.
Im a bit older than the OP, and after some self-reflection I resigned myself to never having a relationship. My personality just isn't conducive to having one.
Original post by Anonymous #3
Im a bit older than the OP, and after some self-reflection I resigned myself to never having a relationship. My personality just isn't conducive to having one.
I think it really does depend on who you meet. Unfortunately this is pretty random and down to chance. In my experience compatibility exists but is rare. So sieze your chance if you find it. I didn't I missed my opportunities.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Every day I feel less and less desirable, despite going to the gym and trying to heal myself physically (I suffer from baldness but I take drugs recommended by the trichologist... I hope they will work, because without hair I would be horrible).

There's not much else to say. I have girl friends with whom I contact every now and then, but from a romantic point of view it's a disaster and the fact that a girl likes me seems inconceivable to me.
I saw something and it made me think of you...because he was doing haircuts on very young guys (like yourself) with hair loss...and the guys looked amazing afterwords.
No More COMBOVER! "It's Been YEARS Since I Can Walk Out with CONFIDENCE" | Talking Hair Loss EP 3 (youtube.com)
Hopefully that links you. If not, the youtube channel is Regal Gentleman. :smile:
Original post by foxsmum
Our son is 20 goes to the gym and I'm told (by his friends) that girls think he's cute YET he's never had a girlfriend. I really don't get it. His friends have all had gf's. So I can really understand where you're coming from. I know he'd like to have a gf but...I'm going to post his pic so you can see that you're not alone He's not the most outgoing type, maybe you're the same?
Attachment not found
Your son is still extremely young, I’m 20 and I can honestly say I’d feel embarrassed if either of my parents said anything like this.
Stop trying to interfere in your son’s life, this isn’t a dating app to post his picture on and hope some random girl messages you asking for his number. 🙄
Original post by foxsmum
Oh no, this has stressed me out because our 20 yr old son isn't trying, he's an only child and I don't want him to be alone when we go.
This is so intrusive!
Your son is 20, let him be, otherwise you risk harming your own relationship with him
Original post by foxsmum
I wasn't posting it like it was a dating app. I was posting it to show the o.p that lots of other perfectly normal looking guys have the same problem. 👿 What random girl would be on this thread? You're on idiot, go crawl back underneath your rock.
Im not an idiot, you are talking about your son when he isn’t here, its frankly rude and inappropriate.
You should know better
Original post by foxsmum
Why don't you mind your own business? I see your a coward that doesn't want anyone to know your identity. Why don't you **** off?
Your reaction doesn’t make this any better.
I truly feel sorry for your son, this is incredibly controlling and concerning behaviour.
Its a shock you can’t see how inappropriate you are being.
Original post by Anonymous #4
Your reaction doesn’t make this any better.
I truly feel sorry for your son, this is incredibly controlling and concerning behaviour.
Its a shock you can’t see how inappropriate you are being.
Who are you to tell me anything? I don't need to explain myself to you. If I could block you I would execpt you're too cowardly to use actual name.
Original post by foxsmum
Who are you to tell me anything? I don't need to explain myself to you. If I could block you I would execpt you're too cowardly to use actual name.
Calling me cowardly isn’t doing anything, TSR has the option of posting anonymously to make it feel like a safer space. I can see no matter what i say you can’t actually be reasoned with.
You will end up doing far more damage to your sons relationships than he will acting like this.
Shame you can’t see that.
Original post by Gazpacho.
You’ve chosen to opt out of seeking a relationship. You can’t be angry at the world around you for that as it a choice you’ve made.

So either choose to stay single or do something about it. It is your choice.
well i take it you didn't see my other post, technically i did have a GF before but it didn't feel like a true relationship due to her asexual personality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending