The Student Room Group

help! I need help deciding what A-levels I should take next year

I know that I 100% want to do maths but other than that I have no idea. I am open to starting with 4 and then dropping one later if I don't like it. I am considering economics, biology, psychology, history and perhaps sociology, however lots of people have told me it's not considered as highly as others and i'm not that bothered about taking it anyway so it seems like a waste of time. I am also open to any others aswell as I honestly have no idea and have less than a week to decide.
Original post by megan_24
I know that I 100% want to do maths but other than that I have no idea. I am open to starting with 4 and then dropping one later if I don't like it. I am considering economics, biology, psychology, history and perhaps sociology, however lots of people have told me it's not considered as highly as others and i'm not that bothered about taking it anyway so it seems like a waste of time. I am also open to any others aswell as I honestly have no idea and have less than a week to decide.

maths with economics would be a good combo and it can never hurt with another science so either psychology or biology but I am currently doing biology, psychology and business and I can tell you, its hard. Genuinely, you will need to put in a lot of effort but you got this!! dont worry about it too much now focus on your gcses and if you need any help lmk :smile:)

Natalie
Mathematics and economics in combination with are a good idea. Take the other subjects you please the most and you are very good at or what makes the most sense for your career and the profession you would like to acquire.

Hello Megan,

This is an exciting journey you'll be embarking on. A levels is so rewarding and is one of the best years of your school life. My advice is to choose subjects in which you like, ones that you will be happy with. You do not have to have figured out what job syou want in the future, just doing what you want is enough for now.

All the best in your future,
Hassa, Liverpool Hope Student Ambassador

I don't know if your school offers government and politics in some form but if it does I'd recommend it. I'm in year 12 at the moment, didn't even consider it but didn't 100% want to do sociology, picked it last minute and fell in love with it and now it's my favourite class. Keeping biology and history/politics is a nice pairing. Maybe choose something completely out of the box if U can- I do music, biology and politics and everyone says its a weird mix but it works for me. Look into actual uni courses of stuff you're interested in, you'd be surprised at how unspecific some top end universities are. Keep your options open and don't focus entirely on what you think universities will like; they are your a levels, not the unis.
Reply 5

I have given it some thought and I’ve decided that I think i’m going to start with 4 and then drop 1. I’ll either start with maths, economics, psychology and history or maths, economics, psychology and biology. So i’m basically just deciding between history and biology. I’m still not completely sure, does anyone have any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest