The Student Room Group

Is Further maths worth it?

I want to do economics at uni (possibly Mathematics and Economics), so i know that further maths is really valued for those degrees and from unis. However, my school does all of maths in year 12, and then does all of further maths in year 13, so i feel that if i find further maths not for me or too hard then i cant drop it. Also, it seems like a strange way to do the a levels that im not that sure i want to do. My current options are Maths, econ and physics, and i am thinking of applying to unis that dont require further maths like warwick, but i think it could help. I just dont know about the structure of the course. What should i do?
Original post by salami.
I want to do economics at uni (possibly Mathematics and Economics), so i know that further maths is really valued for those degrees and from unis. However, my school does all of maths in year 12, and then does all of further maths in year 13, so i feel that if i find further maths not for me or too hard then i cant drop it. Also, it seems like a strange way to do the a levels that im not that sure i want to do. My current options are Maths, econ and physics, and i am thinking of applying to unis that dont require further maths like warwick, but i think it could help. I just dont know about the structure of the course. What should i do?
If you do all of maths in year 12 then you could see how that goes and if you do well, do further maths or resit normal maths.
Reply 2
Original post by salami.

I am doing Further maths right now- entire of a level maths in year 12 and then entire of further in year 13. I can say first hand, it is a lot of work for the first month or so but you get used to it. It will make you stand out of the crowd when it comes to university applications. I’d take it if I were you, if you think it’s not for you, you can drop it. And plus, you’ll walk out of year 12 with an A-Level maths grade.

Quick Reply

Latest