The Student Room Group

Children’s nursing @ Uni of York 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meganr27
We were actually told not to share them, even if we could I can’t remember them as it was 3 months ago now. All I can remember is that I thought most of the questions were tailored to figure out your way of dealing with things and your morals. I googled a lot of scenarios before hand and I think that helped. Just try and incorporate the NHS values and the 6 C’s into your answers and you should be fine. I will say, in the Multiple mini interviews it is quite like speed dating and you only get 2 minutes (I think) to answer each question then you live to another person. When the timer runs out you have to stop speaking so try and get your point across early if that makes sense. It sounds awful the way I’ve worded it but honestly I didn’t find it too stressful, I’ve had worse interviews.
Ohh okay thank you that helped alot! what kind of scenarios did you research?
Reply 21
Original post by mayaandy129
There’s loads of stuff online if you google nursing degree interview questions. They’re not expecting you to know everything about nursing as you can learn that but they’re trying to sound out that you have the soft skills that can’t be taught such as empathy, honesty, communication skills. As long as you have a good understanding of the role of a children’s nurse, the majority of questions will be designed to give you the opportunity to demonstrate your soft skills.

I really enjoyed the interview day at York and felt really confident afterwards, the staff are so welcoming!
Reply 22
Original post by Mabel93
There’s loads of stuff online if you google nursing degree interview questions. They’re not expecting you to know everything about nursing as you can learn that but they’re trying to sound out that you have the soft skills that can’t be taught such as empathy, honesty, communication skills. As long as you have a good understanding of the role of a children’s nurse, the majority of questions will be designed to give you the opportunity to demonstrate your soft skills.
I really enjoyed the interview day at York and felt really confident afterwards, the staff are so welcoming!
I felt the same! I think York was my favourite interview.
Reply 23
I think the best kind of scenarios would be:

-You come across a child in public who has lost their parents/caregivers and is distressed- what would you do

-You come across a distressed mother and baby in public- what would you do.

-You’re on placement/ working on a ward and parents are frustrated/ worried about their child’s treatment- what would you do

-A child is scared about the procedure they’re about to have- how do you help

-You have an aggressive patient (could be adult or child)- what would you do

-A child you are looking after has told you they don’t feel safe at home- what do you do.

These are just a few. None of these were asked at my interview- was just to give you a rough idea of what might be asked. I wouldn’t worry about having answered from them all as they aren’t expecting you to be an expert and know procedures etc. Just checking your moral compass really.

Hope this helps
Original post by mayaandy129
Reply 24
Original post by nabeeha111
hii
i have an interview this sat on the 16th and was wondering if anyone had any tips since we are going to be travelling 2+ hours i really wanna make the most of it. i was also wondering why the time frame for it was 8.30 to 12? thank you and goodluckk
How did it go today?
How did it go today?
the whole day went good but they offered me a place for adult nursing instead, i dont know if this is because the spaces are full since there are only 28 or because my interview went bad because all they said in the email was 'after closely considering your application, skills and interests, we would like to make you an offer for - BSc in Nursing (Adult)'. and they said that they cant give feedback so i assume it was because i didnt get enough interview point (which is suprising because i thought i did alright lol) so now im trying to decide between doing childrens nursing at leeds or adult nursing at york. i looked at the spec for adult and child at york and theyre pretty much the same. but i literally dont know what to do because york was always my top choice and now its like do i really want to be a childrens nurse or do i want york? sorry for the rant LOL
How did it go today?
thanks for asking btw!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending