The Student Room Group

Anyone goes to Brampton? i need help whether the college will accept me or not..

I'm in year 11 and i got my centre assessed grades back (not predicted grades or gcse apparently) back I got 9 in science, 8 in IT, 8 in English lit, 7 in Maths, 8 in language and 7 in geo, 8 in RE...but what i am afraid is i got a 5.. in english language...which is shocking and horrible...i really want honest replies.
Reply 1
I'm in year 11 too, applying there as well but I might be able to help. As you said, they aren't predicted grades so it all will depend on what your teachers predict you really. However, what I will say is this : while I don't know what courses you want to study for A-Level, a 5 in English Lang might not cut it for Brampton. I don't want to be mean or harsh because I am in the exact same position as you and I don't know if I'd want to hear this, but brampton expects their students to be getting like 9s and 8s across the board, regardless of their a-levels. I guess just try and get your teacher to predict you higher and if that doesn't work apply still, hope that they give you a conditional offer and work to get it up. Hope that helped xx
Original post by ca_1234
I'm in year 11 too, applying there as well but I might be able to help. As you said, they aren't predicted grades so it all will depend on what your teachers predict you really. However, what I will say is this : while I don't know what courses you want to study for A-Level, a 5 in English Lang might not cut it for Brampton. I don't want to be mean or harsh because I am in the exact same position as you and I don't know if I'd want to hear this, but brampton expects their students to be getting like 9s and 8s across the board, regardless of their a-levels. I guess just try and get your teacher to predict you higher and if that doesn't work apply still, hope that they give you a conditional offer and work to get it up. Hope that helped xx

Yh no, I'm a year 12 that's not how it works. I believe you need a 7.5 GPA across the board for your subjects. I know many student who got mostly 7/8s . I do however believe there is a minimum grade you need in both maths and English to be considered and iirc it's a 6. when discussing the a levels you wish to take then yes you will most likely require an 8 if not a 9. for example, due to inflation this year people who wished to take fm needed a 9.
Reply 3
Original post by PizzaMan2989
Yh no, I'm a year 12 that's not how it works. I believe you need a 7.5 GPA across the board for your subjects. I know many student who got mostly 7/8s . I do however believe there is a minimum grade you need in both maths and English to be considered and iirc it's a 6. when discussing the a levels you wish to take then yes you will most likely require an 8 if not a 9. for example, due to inflation this year people who wished to take fm needed a 9.

Ohhhh this makes more sense haha ty for correcting me!!
Yh with a 5 in english language it is unlikely - there was higher grade inflation last year and i believe there will be similar levels of grades being provided, and since the minimum for brampton is a 6 in english and maths, with your current assessed grades it is unlikely they will take you on. Brampton's popularity spikes each year also - with more competition and inflated grades for the 2021 cohort, even 6s and 7s may not cut it. On the other hand, they can make exceptions such as those doing triple sciences and getting 9s in those whilst not doing as well in english. Also depends on what you wish to persue at Brampton - if its an essay style subject, they may be far more reluctant to give you a place.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Phantom14022
Yh with a 5 in english language it is unlikely - there was higher grade inflation last year and i believe there will be similar levels of grades being provided, and since the minimum for brampton is a 6 in english and maths, with your current assessed grades it is unlikely they will take you on. Brampton's popularity spikes each year also - with more competition and inflated grades for the 2021 cohort, even 6s and 7s may not cut it. On the other hand, they can make exceptions such as those doing triple sciences and getting 9s in those whilst not doing as well in english. Also depends on what you wish to persue at Brampton - if its an essay style subject, they may be far more reluctant to give you a place.

But these are my mock results and i still have GCSE to do in 6 months.. If i get 9s and 8s, do you still think they might not take me on?? And thank you for your honest replies. I appreciate it a lot.
Original post by iamdrxgon
But these are my mock results and i still have GCSE to do in 6 months.. If i get 9s and 8s, do you still think they might not take me on?? And thank you for your honest replies. I appreciate it a lot.

Yh, Brampton have currently extended their application period - giving you the best possible oppurtunity to boost your grades up. Personally I believe Yr 11 will not be facing GCSE assessments or the 'mini tests' the government have suggested in 6 months as we are unlikely to return to school after feb half term - resulting in a lack of in school learning. This means we are likely to recieve purely teacher assessed grades, which is good for you, as by sending emails of extra work etc u can get ur teacher to assess u higher grades. This means the chance of getting 8s and 9s will increase and provide u with a better chance of getting into Brampton (as the headteacher said in the opening evening they will be prioritsing students with 8s and 9s). But overall if u manage to score 8s to 9s in all ur core subjects and subjects u wish to do in college u are far more likely to recieve a place.
Reply 7

Would you find the BBC Bitesize website useful? English Language is one of the subjects it covers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/levels/z98jmp3
Reply 8
Original post by Kerzen
Would you find the BBC Bitesize website useful? English Language is one of the subjects it covers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/levels/z98jmp3

I- Thank you sm T^T I'll make sure to check it out T^T
Reply 9
Original post by Phantom14022
Yh, Brampton have currently extended their application period - giving you the best possible oppurtunity to boost your grades up. Personally I believe Yr 11 will not be facing GCSE assessments or the 'mini tests' the government have suggested in 6 months as we are unlikely to return to school after feb half term - resulting in a lack of in school learning. This means we are likely to recieve purely teacher assessed grades, which is good for you, as by sending emails of extra work etc u can get ur teacher to assess u higher grades. This means the chance of getting 8s and 9s will increase and provide u with a better chance of getting into Brampton (as the headteacher said in the opening evening they will be prioritsing students with 8s and 9s). But overall if u manage to score 8s to 9s in all ur core subjects and subjects u wish to do in college u are far more likely to recieve a place.

Thank you a lot. I honestly didn't expect such kind replies. Although I knew that it's highly unlikely for Brampton to offer a student who was predicted a Grade 5 in eng lang (according to their mock results), I still wanted to hear what others think about this. It motivates me alot now to work even harder. :biggrin:
Original post by ca_1234
Ohhhh this makes more sense haha ty for correcting me!!

nw :smile:
hello is this school brampton manor academy(state school) or brampton college(private school)
Reply 12
Original post by D3V_3
hello is this school brampton manor academy(state school) or brampton college(private school)

brampton manor academy
Hello my average score is 7.5 and I predict that I will get a 9 in computer science, 8 in maths and 7 in physics and these are the subjects that I want to study at bma + further maths. Do you think I will be accepted? Tysmm
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 14
Hey Angela did you get into bma btw??

Original post by Angela17777
Hello my average score is 7.5 and I predict that I will get a 9 in computer science, 8 in maths and 7 in physics and these are the subjects that I want to study at bma + further maths. Do you think I will be accepted? Tysmm

Hey Angela sry for the late reply but did you get into bma??
Hey
This is for someone who has went LAE Tottenham or Brampton Manor, so I've successfully managed to enroll into both however have to make a choice as to which one I want to go to.
I"m at this point so confused so have come here for advice, first of all commute for LAE Tottenham is 35 mins and Brampton Manor 1hr and 15 mins, so commute is slightly longer. Second of all, I already know a few people going LAE so less concern of making friends however I'm happy to make friends if necessary. Next, I've saw Brampton has significantly higher results and also the outcome of the students going to Oxbridge, if not Russell group unis, but LAE Tottenham has opportunities also where fewer students do well and also are able to continue on to Russell group unis and very few Oxbridge. I also see Brampton has a fair selection of clubs but so does LAE. I'm not too fussed on commute or friends but is Brampton worth that extra travel per day and also the fresh start?
Reply 16
I'm in year 11 and i got my centre assessed grades back (not predicted grades or gcse apparently) back I got 9 in science, 8 in IT, 8 in English lit, 7 in Maths, 8 in language and 7 in geo, 8 in RE...but what i am afraid is i got a 5.. in english language...which is shocking and horrible...i really want honest replies.

Hey! I've been going to Brampton Manor since y7 and I'm currently in y12, please do try to get at least above 6s in all your subjects! Your GPA matters, and it generally should be 7.5+ (or 7, if being lenient). Keep in mind that STEM courses require grade 9s, and Humanities courses need at least a grade 7 and above.
Original post by jisradth
Hey! I've been going to Brampton Manor since y7 and I'm currently in y12, please do try to get at least above 6s in all your subjects! Your GPA matters, and it generally should be 7.5+ (or 7, if being lenient). Keep in mind that STEM courses require grade 9s, and Humanities courses need at least a grade 7 and above.

hi my current GPA is 8.0 and I want to take STEM subjects (maths, further maths, physics and economics) i’m also predicted 9s in those subjects.

i know the competition is higher for stem subjects so honestly do you think i have a chance at getting in?
Reply 18
Original post by potent-grandson
hi my current GPA is 8.0 and I want to take STEM subjects (maths, further maths, physics and economics) i’m also predicted 9s in those subjects.

i know the competition is higher for stem subjects so honestly do you think i have a chance at getting in?

If your predicted grades are 9s for the respective subjects, then I'm definitely sure you'll get in. Next thing is to just get the grades during your actual exams - good luck!
Original post by jisradth
If your predicted grades are 9s for the respective subjects, then I'm definitely sure you'll get in. Next thing is to just get the grades during your actual exams - good luck!

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest