The Student Room Group

Five SAS soldiers arrested for alleged war crimes in Syria

Scroll to see replies

"I simply determined that the law was unjust m'lud."
Original post by 2WheelGod
Ah, so you can subtly change the meaning when "paraphrasing", but I cannot? Fair enough.
And you still haven't explained who decides which laws are "unjust" or by what standard. Without clarification "I agree with people who don't follow unjust laws" is essentially the same as "I support people who ignore laws they don't agree with".
No. I paraphrase you correctly. I understood what you said. You misunderstood what I said so paraphrased me incorrectly. Don't get to worried about it though. See my previous post for clarification.

As for unjust laws, it is any law that is not considered morally right and fair.
It has nothing to do whether you like a law or not. As I have said, I can dislike a law and still see it at just.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Admit-One
"I simply determined that the law was unjust m'lud."
Was the mindset of Rosa Parks when she refused to give up her seat. I belive her moral conviction was correct.
Original post by Guru Jason
No. I paraphrase you correctly. I understood what you said. You misunderstood what I said so paraphrased me incorrectly. Don't get to worried about it though. See my previous post for clarification.
As for unjust laws, it is any law that is not considered morally right and fair.
It has nothing to do whether you like a law or not. As I have said, I can dislike a law and still see it at just.
Ah, so you know what you meant, but I don't know what I meant, and you also know what I meant, whereas it doesn't apply the other way. Seems reasonable.

So you think you can agree with a law despite finding it unjust, and oppose a just and fair law. Er, ok.

And you still haven't explained who decides if a law is "morally right and fair", and how.
Original post by 2WheelGod
Ah, so you know what you meant, but I don't know what I meant, and you also know what I meant, whereas it doesn't apply the other way. Seems reasonable.
So you think you can agree with a law despite finding it unjust, and oppose a just and fair law. Er, ok.
And you still haven't explained who decides if a law is "morally right and fair", and how.
1) Yes, I know what you meant. You left very little to the imagination in your stance on law. In fact you couldn't have been clearer.

2) A person them self defines what they believe to be moral and just.

3) your still misunderstanding my point, to the point I'm not sure if you are intentionally trying to wind me up.

You can dislike a just law. This means you follow it. For example, i dislike certain speeding laws. I think the speed limit could be raised in certain areas. I feel we could have a autobahn system akin to the German. Does this mean I find it unjust that I can't go over 70? No. I still obey the limit because its just even if I don't like it.

Now compare this to a law that promotes segregation example. I would find this unjust and disregard any law that would commit me to such action.
We appear to be observing two bald men arguing over a comb.
many well respected legal scholars argue there’s no general moral obligation to obey law (particularly in the private sphere where natural law takes precedent); and/or if there is a prima facie duty to obey law that obligation will be overridden when it offends one's own needs/morals. common topic in jurisprudence and happy to quote some for reference if needed; certainly not a controversial nor unique idea what jason is suggesting tho.

whether someone must ‘answer’ to law is up to the cps (generally) when it decides to press charges and is a question of public interest after measuring pros and cons (no it's not in the public interest to prosecute everyone over everything). idk if this is something also considered by the court martial, but ngl sometimes wonder if Jack Nicholson’s rant in A Few Good Men has more truth to it than we really want to know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending