The Student Room Group

How bad is it to take 30-50mg of codeine a day

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I can’t imagine it would improve anything to have them put in my medical records that I’m some sort of opioid addict

It might lead them to actually get you help for that issue? Among others?
Original post by black tea
I haven't brought up any of your other issues (though the fact it's so easy to work out which other threads you have made says a lot) . Your past threads do suggest a pattern of behaviour that is relevant though.

It’s easy to work out from the style of writing and personal/physical details I’ve given about myself I’d imagine, none of that is relevant here
Original post by Admit-One
I disagree. You wouldn’t even have disclosed the lengths you are going to to get this much codeine unless I hadn’t recognised you from one of your other threads. That’s plainly relevant and ties into you giving piecemeal parts of the picture to increase the chances of being told what you want to hear.
If you are the same person from the regular drinking thread I’m going to be annoyed as you’re portraying yourself as otherwise relatively healthy here.

I’ve had doctors tell me that I am healthy and I have been going to the doctors about the headaches/stomachaches for far longer than I’ve been drinking
Original post by artful_lounger
It might lead them to actually get you help for that issue? Among others?

I don’t see what they could do to help with it
Original post by Anonymous #1
I don’t see what they could do to help with it

What do you think TSR can do to help you? You could have easily googled the answer to your question, yet you chose to make a thread about it instead...
What do you think TSR can do to help you? You could have easily googled the answer to your question, yet you chose to make a thread about it instead...

This thread is from weeks ago. People started commenting on it again today so I’m replying to the comments
I take cocodamol for my migraines/stomach cramps that I get basically every day. I just buy the over the counter ones that are 8mg/500mg and take two tablets two or three times a day (so 32-48mg of codeine a day). I know you're only meant to take it for three days but will it really have any negative impacts on my health if I stick to such a low dose?
I get bad headaches/stomachaches a lot and paracetamol or ibuprofen don't really work for it. I'm also at uni so I can't really have a lot of sick days where I don't get much work done. I've been to the doctors multiple times and their answer is just that some people get more aches and pains than others and I don't have any diagnosable condition, I'm just in pain a lot.

That amount is not nearly enough to feel the full effects. you
This thread is from weeks ago. People started commenting on it again today so I’m replying to the comments

How does that negate my point is that you could have googled the answer to your question instead of making this thread?
Original post by geygweujhvfaukjv
That amount is not nearly enough to feel the full effects. you

It’s the recommended dose
How does that negate my point is that you could have googled the answer to your question instead of making this thread?

Could’ve done. I make most of these threads when I’m drunk or hungover over in my room feeling sorry for myself and because it doesn’t let you delete anonymous threads they just stay here
Reply 50
Could’ve done. I make most of these threads when I’m drunk or hungover over in my room feeling sorry for myself and because it doesn’t let you delete anonymous threads they just stay here

drinking while on opioids is even more dangerous than codeine use alone
Original post by macstep
drinking while on opioids is even more dangerous than codeine use alone

The codeine is mostly in the mornings/afternoons and the drinking is mostly in the evenings/at night. Also the maximum amount of codeine I ever take in one go is like 40mg
Original post by Anonymous
The codeine is mostly in the mornings/afternoons and the drinking is mostly in the evenings/at night. Also the maximum amount of codeine I ever take in one go is like 40mg

Is there some reason that you won't take the advice of pharmacists and doctors but instead want some reassurance from unqualified teenagers that what you are doing is safe?
Original post by Admit-One
Is there some reason that you won't take the advice of pharmacists and doctors but instead want some reassurance from unqualified teenagers that what you are doing is safe?

I have tried everything doctors have suggested to me (which usually isn’t much) and have been to my GP’s so many times that they react to me with visible annoyance
Go to the doctors, get diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder and get prescribed sertraline.

That is the only way you're going to stop the anxiety, the stomach aches, the headaches, the drinking and the prescription drug use.

But sadly you won't because you'd rather slowly kill yourself with alcohol and prescription meds.
Original post by Jakson123
Go to the doctors, get diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder and get prescribed sertraline.
That is the only way you're going to stop the anxiety, the stomach aches, the headaches, the drinking and the prescription drug use.
But sadly you won't because you'd rather slowly kill yourself with alcohol and prescription meds.

I have had a borderline panic attack in front of them before and they asked if I suffer with anxiety/am naturally a very anxious person and I said yes and they said that’s probably what’s causing the physical symptoms then and just left it at that lol. They’re not going to diagnose or prescribe me with anything and I’ve reached my limit of asking for drugs lol
Gradually reduce the dose you’re taking and replace it with another painkiller like aspirin or ibuprofen alone and you probably won’t notice a significant difference
Original post by Anonymous #3
Gradually reduce the dose you’re taking and replace it with another painkiller like aspirin or ibuprofen alone and you probably won’t notice a significant difference

I’ve tried other painkillers and nothing works as well and I usually feel the headache coming on when I’m waiting for my second dose so reducing it would probably just give me a migraine everyday
I’ve tried other painkillers and nothing works as well and I usually feel the headache coming on when I’m waiting for my second dose so reducing it would probably just give me a migraine everyday
If the pain comes back every time the effects of the codeine wear off it could be withdrawal symptoms
Original post by Anonymous #3
If the pain comes back every time the effects of the codeine wear off it could be withdrawal symptoms

Whether it is or isn't I’m not going to feel any less *****y though lol

Quick Reply

Latest