The Student Room Group

Career Advice

I am a Cambridge student studying mathematics in IA. I did not apply to many spring weeks only 3 or 4 and got rejected by all of them. I think the course is intense and I feel like switching university or to another course less intensive to prioritise looking for a career. I don't know so far I got a 2.2 in mocks but I feel like I might get a third this year. Would you say it is a good option to switch or stick it out? I am just worried about the job opportunities with this course.
Original post by idlewatcher
I am a Cambridge student studying mathematics in IA. I did not apply to many spring weeks only 3 or 4 and got rejected by all of them. I think the course is intense and I feel like switching university or to another course less intensive to prioritise looking for a career. I don't know so far I got a 2.2 in mocks but I feel like I might get a third this year. Would you say it is a good option to switch or stick it out? I am just worried about the job opportunities with this course.
I’m in IB and I’d say it’s up to you- if you can’t see yourself doing anything but maths then stick with the course, and you have to ask yourself if you’re happy staying in such a workload for the next two years. It’s beyond intense and can be really demoralising putting effort in and not feeling like you see it but if it’s where you want to be then it’s worth sticking it out. Also only third year counts so there’s a lot of time to improve, and lots of people find the degree difficult just people are reluctant to admit it. I’d say work hard in Easter and see how you do- and a 2:2 is not necessarily a bad thing, it just might not be as high as you’d like. But if you’ve tried your best then it’s worth it. Also I wouldn’t worry abt first year spring weeks- I’d focus on summer internships over august to start of Michaelmas and apply to loads if it’s something you really want- when you’re not busy and CATAM and stuff hasn’t piled up. But a 4 day spring week won’t make or break your career :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending