The Student Room Group

Always get bad results but revise for long periods consistently, how do I get better?

I'm always doing bad in exams, like always. I just got my mock results back and I got CCC in Maths Physics and Economics. Thing is I spent about 3 months revising for these mocks doing so many past papers and trying to understand everything I could which I felt like was a lot but I consistently just do terrible I even came out of all the exams thinking I did good or at least somewhat descent on all of them but I never get even somewhat descent results on any tests.

Thing is although im from the UK I grew up abroad and im being given international fee status by Sheffield with a foundation year for mechanical engineering which would end up costing over 120,000 pounds which I cant afford. basically meaning I have to get accepted into my Glasgow or Liverpool option in order to go to university as they have charged me with home fee status but both of them require AAB's. essentially meaning I need to somehow go from CCC to AAB in the span of 1.5 months to go to uni, despite the fact the I revised everyday for at least 2 hours usually alot more and still got CCC.

I really don't know what to do anymore because everything I do to revise still gets me bad results, the last few months I really started just hammering questions and past papers but it ultimately made no difference and actually just made my grades even worse.

How can I get better grades is really what I'm asking and is it to late.
Original post by 12lemon
I'm always doing bad in exams, like always. I just got my mock results back and I got CCC in Maths Physics and Economics. Thing is I spent about 3 months revising for these mocks doing so many past papers and trying to understand everything I could which I felt like was a lot but I consistently just do terrible I even came out of all the exams thinking I did good or at least somewhat descent on all of them but I never get even somewhat descent results on any tests.
Thing is although im from the UK I grew up abroad and im being given international fee status by Sheffield with a foundation year for mechanical engineering which would end up costing over 120,000 pounds which I cant afford. basically meaning I have to get accepted into my Glasgow or Liverpool option in order to go to university as they have charged me with home fee status but both of them require AAB's. essentially meaning I need to somehow go from CCC to AAB in the span of 1.5 months to go to uni, despite the fact the I revised everyday for at least 2 hours usually alot more and still got CCC.
I really don't know what to do anymore because everything I do to revise still gets me bad results, the last few months I really started just hammering questions and past papers but it ultimately made no difference and actually just made my grades even worse.

Hey @12lemon :o: Have you spoken with your teachers yet? If not I'd say it's maybe worth having a discussion with them and asking them for feedback, and help in creating a study plan. You could ask them which areas it's important for you to prioritise, and they can maybe provide you with additional resources/reading you can work through independently. They'll know you well and be able to give a bit of guidance!

Try not to feel too overwhelmed and force yourself to study lots for long periods of time. If you put lots of pressure on yourself your study sessions won't be as effective :unsure: Take your sessions in small bursts. I used to find repetition was what helped me most - so I'd repeat mock questions over and over in half hour bursts. You could also try using post it notes/flashcards with key stats/info/formula etc on it and have them on your bedroom wall so you're able to look at them often and test yourself.

Well done on your offers and massive good luck in working towards your conditions!!

Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Original post by 12lemon

Hi,

It is not too late.
How well do you do on past papers you do for revision? Are you doing them under exam conditions?
When I was studying for A levels, I found it helpful to get someone else to mark the past papers, or to mark it very precisely, often harshly. Sometimes, the mark scheme requires a specific word or phrase in order for you to get the mark. For example, in Physics, I would say, "I measured the distance" and would not get the mark, because I needed to say what I used to measure, "I measured the distance with a ruler". Once I understood this, it was relatively easy to get much better marks as I was using the right terms.
Can you ask your teachers to show you the exams?
If they will, have a look and see which questions you do well on and which you don't get many marks for. Is it the long answer questions, a certain topic, a certain phrasing of question? This will then show you what you need to focus on in your revision.
Could you revise with other people? Maybe they can help you pick up more marks in the papers.
Also, make sure to give yourself breaks. If you work yourself too hard, you won't improve as well and will likely burn out.

Lizzie (BSc Mathematics and Philosophy - University of Sheffield)
Reply 3
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi,
It is not too late.
How well do you do on past papers you do for revision? Are you doing them under exam conditions?
When I was studying for A levels, I found it helpful to get someone else to mark the past papers, or to mark it very precisely, often harshly. Sometimes, the mark scheme requires a specific word or phrase in order for you to get the mark. For example, in Physics, I would say, "I measured the distance" and would not get the mark, because I needed to say what I used to measure, "I measured the distance with a ruler". Once I understood this, it was relatively easy to get much better marks as I was using the right terms.
Can you ask your teachers to show you the exams?
If they will, have a look and see which questions you do well on and which you don't get many marks for. Is it the long answer questions, a certain topic, a certain phrasing of question? This will then show you what you need to focus on in your revision.
Could you revise with other people? Maybe they can help you pick up more marks in the papers.
Also, make sure to give yourself breaks. If you work yourself too hard, you won't improve as well and will likely burn out.
Lizzie (BSc Mathematics and Philosophy - University of Sheffield)

I do usually mark them and dont do to bad, ive just done another math mock and I can tell its gone terrible again even though I revised for pretty much 2 weeks straight for it. at this point its so pointless doing anything,

Quick Reply

Latest