The Student Room Group

SFE application

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone would be able to share some information to help with my situation.

I am currently a 24-year-old student, in second year, about to apply for my third and final year of student finance. I turn 25 a month after the academic year starts and therefore SFE are still trying to claim that I am dependent on my parents even though I have not been living with them for almost a year now and previously have earned my own income during the years that I was living with them.

I understand that I can appeal for SFE to review my application to see if they can deem me an independent student if I can supply sufficient evidence to prove my financial independence. However, do I need to apply on the SFE website first with the relevant information I am able to give them and then get in contact to appeal it? As it isn't giving me the option to prove that I am no longer dependent on my parents and is trying to get me to fill out my parents financial information due to my age?

many thanks
Hi there. In order to be classed as an independent student, you must have been supporting yourself financially for at least 3 years prior to the beginning of your course (year 1). If this does not apply to you, there is no way to appeal the decision, as this is in guidance with our policy. You must be over 25 at the start of the Academic Year to be considered an independent student. Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending