The Student Room Group

Appeal - maintenance loan amount

Hello,

I applied for a maintenance loan before starting university as a migrant worker . I have pre-settled status.
Before starting university, I worked for one company for almost three years. Two weeks before I started university, my previous employer rejected my application for a part-time position. I could not find a job for two months, during which time I applied for many different jobs, unfortunately without success. I was also signed up with three different agencies, also without success. I have evidence for everything in the form of emails and letters. Of course SFE was informed about this, my application was stopped. I finished my old job on 23 September and I found a new one and started working on 21 November. Two days ago I received an email from SFE that my application had been successful, however the maintenance loan amount had been changed from £9.9k to £6k.
Unfortunately, the amount that the SFE has calculated will not allow me to support myself, I will not have enough money to pay my rent and for food. I would like to appeal this decision, I wonder if I can do anything. I have full evidence that I actively looked for work and could not find anything, I did not sit at home doing nothing. I would also like to add that I cannot count on my parents' support as they live in another country and cannot help me.

Thanks for help!
Original post by bLitw
Hello,

I applied for a maintenance loan before starting university as a migrant worker . I have pre-settled status.
Before starting university, I worked for one company for almost three years. Two weeks before I started university, my previous employer rejected my application for a part-time position. I could not find a job for two months, during which time I applied for many different jobs, unfortunately without success. I was also signed up with three different agencies, also without success. I have evidence for everything in the form of emails and letters. Of course SFE was informed about this, my application was stopped. I finished my old job on 23 September and I found a new one and started working on 21 November. Two days ago I received an email from SFE that my application had been successful, however the maintenance loan amount had been changed from £9.9k to £6k.
Unfortunately, the amount that the SFE has calculated will not allow me to support myself, I will not have enough money to pay my rent and for food. I would like to appeal this decision, I wonder if I can do anything. I have full evidence that I actively looked for work and could not find anything, I did not sit at home doing nothing. I would also like to add that I cannot count on my parents' support as they live in another country and cannot help me.

Thanks for help!

Hi there,

Have you submitted the evidence to show that you were looking for employment during the time that you were not working. The assessors may still be able to award you more funding if they approve that evidence but it would be looked at on a case by case basis.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 2
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

Have you submitted the evidence to show that you were looking for employment during the time that you were not working. The assessors may still be able to award you more funding if they approve that evidence but it would be looked at on a case by case basis.

Thanks, Drew

Hi Drew,

Thank you for your interest. No, I didn’t submit any evidence about my searching for work because SFE didn’t ask for that, I followed instructions in email. I already submitted an appeal and I attached around 80 emails, where I applied for job and my application was unsuccessful. I’m waiting for response.

Could you let me know please, how long I have to wait at the moment for it due to SFE case timetable ?

Thank you very much!
Original post by bLitw
Hi Drew,

Thank you for your interest. No, I didn’t submit any evidence about my searching for work because SFE didn’t ask for that, I followed instructions in email. I already submitted an appeal and I attached around 80 emails, where I applied for job and my application was unsuccessful. I’m waiting for response.

Could you let me know please, how long I have to wait at the moment for it due to SFE case timetable ?

Thank you very much!

Hi there,

It is taking approximately 40+ working days to process an appeal just now.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 4
Hi Drew,

I will wait for result of my appeal then.

Thank you, Bart
Original post by bLitw
Hi Drew,

I will wait for result of my appeal then.

Thank you, Bart

Hi Bart,

You're welcome. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending