The Student Room Group

Tuition/Maintenance loan cancelled

I moved to the UK 12 December 2020. I received my presettled status 28 January 2021. I applied for student Finance in June 2023 and within 8 weeks was approved. My course started on the 7th August 2023, first instalment of tuition fee was paid to Uni and 1st maintenance instalment as well.

In November 2023, I applied for parents learning allowance, I was asked to provide proof of employment since I changed jobs. I sent my payslips (could not provide month of October as I was moved care package by the company therefore could not get any shifts for that month). Provided evidence of 0 hours contract as well.

The Migrant worked team came back advising that I was not eligible for maintenance loan so they cancelled that. I upload a letter from my manager explaining that the break in employment was not my fault and further evidence or employment it was still not enough, so they cancelled my tuition loan as well.

So I did what any sensible person would do and contacted them AGAIN with even more evidence (this was 2 weeks before second semester started). They have just replied to the evidence I upload advising that I’m not ELIGIBLE for student finance because I do not meet the below criteria:

Have been ordinarily and lawfully resident in the UK, EU or EEA throughout
the 3 year period preceding the start of your course.

I have only left the UK for the period of 1 week in 3 years I’ve lived here. This is so stressful and honestly so unfair, if I was eligible in June/July how am I not eligible now?! I’m still working 48hrs + per week, have pre settled status my circumstances haven’t changed.

Please help.
Original post by Nads88
I moved to the UK 12 December 2020. I received my presettled status 28 January 2021. I applied for student Finance in June 2023 and within 8 weeks was approved. My course started on the 7th August 2023, first instalment of tuition fee was paid to Uni and 1st maintenance instalment as well.

In November 2023, I applied for parents learning allowance, I was asked to provide proof of employment since I changed jobs. I sent my payslips (could not provide month of October as I was moved care package by the company therefore could not get any shifts for that month). Provided evidence of 0 hours contract as well.

The Migrant worked team came back advising that I was not eligible for maintenance loan so they cancelled that. I upload a letter from my manager explaining that the break in employment was not my fault and further evidence or employment it was still not enough, so they cancelled my tuition loan as well.

So I did what any sensible person would do and contacted them AGAIN with even more evidence (this was 2 weeks before second semester started). They have just replied to the evidence I upload advising that I’m not ELIGIBLE for student finance because I do not meet the below criteria:

Have been ordinarily and lawfully resident in the UK, EU or EEA throughout
the 3 year period preceding the start of your course.

I have only left the UK for the period of 1 week in 3 years I’ve lived here. This is so stressful and honestly so unfair, if I was eligible in June/July how am I not eligible now?! I’m still working 48hrs + per week, have pre settled status my circumstances haven’t changed.

Please help.

Hi there,

We can't access accounts on this platform. In order to properly assist and help with your queries if you're able to contact us on 0300 100 0607 or via the live chat in your account. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending