The Student Room Group

UK national but EU resident

Hi everyone,

I am a UK citizen from birth as both my parents are both British however I was born and have grown up in the EU. I have never lived in the UK.

I applied for student finance as I am planning on studying in Kent but have encountered some issues:
1. I do not have a National Insurance Number and I’m not sure if I need one before I start my course so I can start receiving help
2. While trying to talk to someone on the student finance website, I was told I’m not eligible for financial help as I have not lived in the UK.

I am planning on sorting out my National Insurance Number ASAP once I have moved into accommodation but I’m a bit more confused about the second part.

There’s a bit of ambiguity over if I’m eligible from what I can see online but from what I’ve understood, I should still be eligible as I have lived in the EU continuously since the 31st of December 2020 (which seems to be the cutoff).

I was wondering if anyone has any advice about this situation? I’m panicking a little as everyone my parents and I have spoken to seems to believe that I’m not eligible.

Thank you in advance
Original post by catl55
Hi everyone,

I am a UK citizen from birth as both my parents are both British however I was born and have grown up in the EU. I have never lived in the UK.

I applied for student finance as I am planning on studying in Kent but have encountered some issues:
1. I do not have a National Insurance Number and I’m not sure if I need one before I start my course so I can start receiving help
2. While trying to talk to someone on the student finance website, I was told I’m not eligible for financial help as I have not lived in the UK.

I am planning on sorting out my National Insurance Number ASAP once I have moved into accommodation but I’m a bit more confused about the second part.

There’s a bit of ambiguity over if I’m eligible from what I can see online but from what I’ve understood, I should still be eligible as I have lived in the EU continuously since the 31st of December 2020 (which seems to be the cutoff).

I was wondering if anyone has any advice about this situation? I’m panicking a little as everyone my parents and I have spoken to seems to believe that I’m not eligible.

Thank you in advance

Hi there, Where have you been living? When did you start to live in the UK? Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Where have you been living? When did you start to live in the UK? Thanks, Angela

Hi Angela,

I was born in and have lived in France my entire life and have never lived in the UK.
However the only nationality I currently hold is British
Thanks
Original post by catl55
Hi Angela,

I was born in and have lived in France my entire life and have never lived in the UK.
However the only nationality I currently hold is British
Thanks

Hi there,

You need to have lived in the UK at some point in your life to be eligible or meet the 3 year residency period.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending