The Student Room Group

Philosophy and Politics without A Level Politics???

Hello, this is my first time actually asking a question on here :smile:

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice:
My interest in studying a combination of philosophy, politics or IR has been on the backburner, as up until recently I've been pursuing media and communications. However, after visiting a uni open day I've come to the very firm conclusion I want to study something more academic.

I'm currently in year 12 and the subjects I am taking are not best suited to politics (religious studies, media studies, english lit/lang), despite having decent knowledge of the area and being a longstanding member of my school's current affairs society.

I'm hoping to apply to a decently ranked university but I'm worried I won't be accepted, and especially concerned that I will be out of my depth in a course and fall behind due to lacking A-Level foundation knowledge.

Current predicted grades are A*AA respectively, but my A in english is hanging on by a thread - currently very stressed for exams too.

Could anyone please give me advice?
Have you looked at the entry requirements for the degree subject on Uni websites?
Do they say that an A level in Politics is 'essential'?
Reply 2
Go to another open day, speak to someone on the department subject stand, tell them what subjects you're doing. see what they say. Look on uni website course pages.
Reply 3
No university requires politics A level. Indeed, the A level doesn’t bear a great deal of resemblance to how the subject is usually taught at the degree level.
Reply 4
Original post by Artjen
Go to another open day, speak to someone on the department subject stand, tell them what subjects you're doing. see what they say. Look on uni website course pages.

Thank you!!
Reply 5
Original post by sfp04
No university requires politics A level. Indeed, the A level doesn’t bear a great deal of resemblance to how the subject is usually taught at the degree level.

Thank you! very helpful :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Have you looked at the entry requirements for the degree subject on Uni websites?
Do they say that an A level in Politics is 'essential'?

Thank you! some of them do, I'm just worried if I took up the course I'd be at a disadvantage
Hi @aqalover

I currently study Philosophy, Politics and Economics without having studied any of the 3 subjects at A level (I studied Biology, Geography and Maths). The modules at degree do not assume any prior knowledge. I did not feel behind for not having studied A level politics . I think, in the cohort I'm in, around half the people studying a degree within the politics and international relations department had not studied politics A level. So, it would not hinder your chances of getting accepted.

Best Wishes,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student
University of Southampton
Reply 8
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @aqalover
I currently study Philosophy, Politics and Economics without having studied any of the 3 subjects at A level (I studied Biology, Geography and Maths). The modules at degree do not assume any prior knowledge. I did not feel behind for not having studied A level politics . I think, in the cohort I'm in, around half the people studying a degree within the politics and international relations department had not studied politics A level. So, it would not hinder your chances of getting accepted.
Best Wishes,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student
University of Southampton

Thank you so much!!! Really helpful advice, very reassuring

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending