The Student Room Group

Help with choosing a Cambridge college!!

Hi!
I’m currently trying to decide which Cambridge college to apply to but I can’t quite decide. I’m posting hoping that someone who goes/graduated from there can give me some advice. I visited on the July open day and plan to go again in September; I went to around 17 of the colleges and I loved Downing and Emmanuel the best but Emmanuel does not offer land economy.

Downing is currently my top but the accommodation is on the pricier side which isn’t ideal for me. I’ve also heard things about it being the most competitive college. This has put me off slightly but I did genuinely love it there.

Sorry for being too wordy but can anyone recommend some other underrated colleges(preferably not hill colleges)?
Original post by cambridge_2024
Hi!
I’m currently trying to decide which Cambridge college to apply to but I can’t quite decide. I’m posting hoping that someone who goes/graduated from there can give me some advice. I visited on the July open day and plan to go again in September; I went to around 17 of the colleges and I loved Downing and Emmanuel the best but Emmanuel does not offer land economy.

Downing is currently my top but the accommodation is on the pricier side which isn’t ideal for me. I’ve also heard things about it being the most competitive college. This has put me off slightly but I did genuinely love it there.

Sorry for being too wordy but can anyone recommend some other underrated colleges(preferably not hill colleges)?

Downing isn't much more competitive than other colleges for land economy, not that this should significantly influence your decision. If you want to look at rent prices see here: https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/25665, though it's worth noting that averages don't necessarily tell you how expensive the cheapest accommodation at a college would be, which you might be able to find on their websites. Downing is about average.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Hi!

Catz, Caius, Christ, Sidney, Clare are all lovely and seem to have reasonably priced accommodation. There is also St John’s which looks lovely but the better en suite accommodation is limited and quite expensive. Also St John’s is private school dominated, not just the numbers attending, but also the clubs/social events etc which might put some people off. My daughter has a friend their who thinks that that is a bit of a negative, but no doubt others would love it.
Reply 3
Hi!

The central colleges that come to mind with roughly the same vibe as Emma are Clare, Tit Hall and Queens' (disclaimer: this is my college, so I'm very biased!). I do think you should consider Queens' though, since not only are the people lovely but it's also literally a few doors down from the Land Ec dept on Silver Street!
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending