The Student Room Group

Dental applicant help please

I missed out on my offer for Dentistry this year after getting BBB, getting bio remarked so hopefully will go to ABB.

Really upset as I have worked so so hard this year to get my offer in the first place, and did not account for this outcome at all as I was consistently getting my grades throughout the year.

I really want to do Dentistry so thinking of resitting my A levels and reapplying to dentistry next year. I've heard it's very competitive but was wondering if anyone who's had/knows of someone who's had experience with this type of situation before and what was the outcome.

Eg. Was it hard to get an interview and an offer and any advice would be greatly recommended.

UCAT is booked for late September and looking to complete work experience before the personal statement deadline.

Also is the application process similar to the first time around or does it differ and realistically what is the likely hood of myself receiving an offer.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by jajsfjash
I missed out on my offer for Dentistry this year after getting BBB, getting bio remarked so hopefully will go to ABB.

Really upset as I have worked so so hard this year to get my offer in the first place, and did not account for this outcome at all as I was consistently getting my grades throughout the year.

I really want to do Dentistry so thinking of resitting my A levels and reapplying to dentistry next year. I've heard it's very competitive but was wondering if anyone who's had/knows of someone who's had experience with this type of situation before and what was the outcome.

Eg. Was it hard to get an interview and an offer and any advice would be greatly recommended.

UCAT is booked for late September and looking to complete work experience before the personal statement deadline.

Also is the application process similar to the first time around or does it differ and realistically what is the likely hood of myself receiving an offer.

Thanks

Hi, I was in a kind of similar position as I didn't have any offers the first time I applied but I achieved the grades. I would definitely say get bio remarked and resit the other two.
I dont know what you mean by its competitive as applying the second time is identical to applying the first so its the same level of competitiveness.
It wasn't hard to get an interview. The first time I applied i got 1/4 interviews and 0 offers and the second time i got 3/4 interviews and 3 offers!
The main thing right now is smashing your ucat if you dont mind me asking what did you get for ucat in this application cycle. And its good to get work exp for ur ps. My ps was identical to last year except one paragraph where I talked about what i had done in my gap year and what i planned to do.
The application process is identical to first time and the likely hood of obtaining an offer doesnt change. The only thing that i would say changes is the unis you can apply to because some dont accept resits.

Message me on insta if u have any more questions @ayaan.dent
Reply 2
Original post by drdent
Hi, I was in a kind of similar position as I didn't have any offers the first time I applied but I achieved the grades. I would definitely say get bio remarked and resit the other two.
I dont know what you mean by its competitive as applying the second time is identical to applying the first so its the same level of competitiveness.
It wasn't hard to get an interview. The first time I applied i got 1/4 interviews and 0 offers and the second time i got 3/4 interviews and 3 offers!
The main thing right now is smashing your ucat if you dont mind me asking what did you get for ucat in this application cycle. And its good to get work exp for ur ps. My ps was identical to last year except one paragraph where I talked about what i had done in my gap year and what i planned to do.
The application process is identical to first time and the likely hood of obtaining an offer doesnt change. The only thing that i would say changes is the unis you can apply to because some dont accept resits.

Message me on insta if u have any more questions @ayaan.dent

Oh really, for some reason I’d convinced myself it was harder to get in the second time with resitting because I’ve hardly heard of people who have re sat and gotten in.

I’ve booked my UCAT for late September but I achieved 2780 the last time and got all 4 interviews and 2 offers from Birmingham (firm) and Sheffield.

Thank you so much! Do you have any advice on doing the UCAT the 2nd time around and what you say I should aim for this time, also with my personal statement what should I include in my gap year paragraph and how much should I talk about it. I think only Manchester, Bristol and Plymouth accept retakes, what would you say my chances would be ?

Thank you so much !!
Reply 3
Original post by jajsfjash
Oh really, for some reason I’d convinced myself it was harder to get in the second time with resitting because I’ve hardly heard of people who have re sat and gotten in.

I’ve booked my UCAT for late September but I achieved 2780 the last time and got all 4 interviews and 2 offers from Birmingham (firm) and Sheffield.

Thank you so much! Do you have any advice on doing the UCAT the 2nd time around and what you say I should aim for this time, also with my personal statement what should I include in my gap year paragraph and how much should I talk about it. I think only Manchester, Bristol and Plymouth accept retakes, what would you say my chances would be ?

Thank you so much !!

2800+ is always safe
No real advice its the same as first time tbh . I dedicated one para talking about my gap year essentially saying what ive done and what i plan to do.
Also KCL take resits i think double check that.

Quick Reply

Latest