The Student Room Group

Applying to Computer Science at uni

Currently a year 12 applying to uni next year, and was wondering what extracurriculars I can do.
I know I need to do some projects outside of skl but was lacking any ideas on what projects to make and what IDE's to use.
Original post by hussainw1232
Currently a year 12 applying to uni next year, and was wondering what extracurriculars I can do.
I know I need to do some projects outside of skl but was lacking any ideas on what projects to make and what IDE's to use.

Hey there,

First off, kudos on thinking ahead about your extracurriculars for University applications you're already ahead of the game!

When it comes to projects outside of school, the possibilities are endless. If you're into coding, consider diving into some programming projects. Whether it's creating a mobile app, building a website from scratch, or even working on open-source projects on GitHub, there's no shortage of opportunities to flex those coding muscles.

Remember, the key is to choose projects that align with your interests and passions. Whether it's solving real-world problems, exploring new technologies, or simply having fun with coding, let your creativity guide you.

As for IDEs (Integrated Development Environments), it really depends on your preference and the type of projects you're working on. JetBrains and Visual Studio Code are both popular choices among developers, each offering its own set of features and functionalities. You can add extensions and truly customise your workspaces. Experiment with both and see which one clicks for you it's all about finding the tool that suits your workflow best.

And hey, don't hesitate to reach out if you need more project ideas or tips on getting started. The journey of coding is an exciting one, and I'm here to help you navigate it.

Cheers,
Arslan University of Salford Student Representative
Original post by University of Salford Student Rep
Hey there,
First off, kudos on thinking ahead about your extracurriculars for University applications you're already ahead of the game!
When it comes to projects outside of school, the possibilities are endless. If you're into coding, consider diving into some programming projects. Whether it's creating a mobile app, building a website from scratch, or even working on open-source projects on GitHub, there's no shortage of opportunities to flex those coding muscles.
Remember, the key is to choose projects that align with your interests and passions. Whether it's solving real-world problems, exploring new technologies, or simply having fun with coding, let your creativity guide you.
As for IDEs (Integrated Development Environments), it really depends on your preference and the type of projects you're working on. JetBrains and Visual Studio Code are both popular choices among developers, each offering its own set of features and functionalities. You can add extensions and truly customise your workspaces. Experiment with both and see which one clicks for you it's all about finding the tool that suits your workflow best.
And hey, don't hesitate to reach out if you need more project ideas or tips on getting started. The journey of coding is an exciting one, and I'm here to help you navigate it.
Cheers,

Thanks, I'm thinking of either making either

An app but I'm not sure what to make it on

Some sort of code that interacts with websites automatically as this shows initiative for actually using code in your life but I'm not sure what to make it on(eg. my friend made one to automate his multiple choice hw). Any suggestions?

3d/2d game using unreal/unity

Original post by hussainw1232
Thanks, I'm thinking of either making either

An app but I'm not sure what to make it on

Some sort of code that interacts with websites automatically as this shows initiative for actually using code in your life but I'm not sure what to make it on(eg. my friend made one to automate his multiple choice hw). Any suggestions?

3d/2d game using unreal/unity

Hey there,

Sounds like you've got some exciting project ideas!

1. An app: Apps are a fantastic way to showcase your coding skills and creativity. If you're not sure what to make it on, think about common problems or inefficiencies you encounter in your daily life. Whether it's organizing tasks, tracking fitness goals, or simplifying a mundane task. Brainstorm some ideas and see what sparks your interest.

2. Code that interacts with websites automatically: This is a great way to demonstrate your coding and problem-solving abilities. Think about tasks that you find repetitive or time-consuming online. A good place to start might be with web scraping for some information on a product. This is very practical and can maybe help you get an in-demand product for cheap.

3. 3D/2D game using Unreal/Unity: Ah, gaming a classic choice! Developing a game is an incredible way to unleash your creativity and technical skills.

Ultimately, the key is to choose a project that aligns with your interests and passions. Whether it's solving a problem, exploring a new technology, or simply having fun with coding, let your creativity guide you. The more you engage with the coding, the faster you will grow.

Cheers,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending