The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by jc3259
I wonder what the gender split willl be like in QM.. anyone know?

Well i chose Mixed for my accom so i hopefully won't be in a flat with all men lol .... overall for QM I would think it would be around 50 50 to be fair ... but i don't know
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
I was in McLay halls in first year (same as QM but now they only give them to postgrads) and the gender split was pretty equal. In all the mixed flats that i came across, there were 3 girls and 2 guys in each so i imagine the flats will generally be like that.
hi guys .. wondering if someone can help me with a question. I'm an international student currently living at Cairncross but thinking of moving out to a private accommodation after this september. My girlfriend would like to join me in the UK too, and I wonder if we get a flat together and share one large-ish room, do we pay for two people per week, or one room per week ?

To clarify, typically landlords in the UK would calculate the rental rate based on the number of people living in a flat, or based on the number of room taken ? Because in my previous country, it is usually based on the number of room, so whether one person or two persons, we would will end up paying the same fixed amount for the room. So it would end up as a significant saving (halving the rental amount, as compared to counting per head).

Sorry for the seemingly silly question but I'm still not familiar with how private accommodation works in the UK. Thank you very much for the help !!
Reply 983
Original post by G550NDH
Well i chose Mixed for my accom so i hopefully won't be in a flat with all men lol .... overall for QM I would think it would be around 50 50 to be fair ... but i don't know

yeah i chosed mixed too, but a girl i know chose mixed and ended up with all girls, but i dunno what halls that was for..
Reply 984
Hey,

I have an unconditional for Glasgow Uni and got Murano Large Flats. Anyone else get them or did everyone put QM?

Also was wondering if I can get some information about Murano, it would be a great help.

Thanks.
Original post by sduthie1
Hey,

I have an unconditional for Glasgow Uni and got Murano Large Flats. Anyone else get them or did everyone put QM?

Also was wondering if I can get some information about Murano, it would be a great help.

Thanks.

Eh, Murano is a large student village housing short of 1,500 students of Glasgow uni. Known for partying apparently but that's usually exclusive to larger flats. About a 20 mins walk to the uni, 15 mins to Byres Road and Great Western Road (loads of shops), 10 mins from a large Tesco in Maryhill (infamous area) and 15/20 mins walk to the nearest subway station. A free minibus service runs during term time to the uni and wolfson halls. There are two laundry rooms in the student village so it's often hard to get machines. Anything else just ask!
Reply 986
Hey, I have an unconditional for Politics at Glasgow and I'm just about to make my accomodation choices but I have a few questions first If someone wouldn't mind helping me?

I think I'm going to choose Murano as 1st choice but I don't know whether to go for a small or large flat- which is better?

It says on the Uni website that you have to wait with your laundry at the laundry rooms. I don't fancy waiting half an hour for my washing to dry every week- is this necessary!? hahaa

Is it true that the area surrounding Murano is really dodgy?

In the larger flats in Murano, are there two toilets and showers as opposed to the one in the smaller flats because there are twice as many people?

Sorry If these questions seem really stupid or anything! haha. Thank you so much to anyone who can help me :smile:
I've got an offer from Glasgow but am still waiting for one of my choices the can't apply for accommodation, what are the chances of getting QM (I live 320miles away and the offer only depends on health clearance and police checks so its sort of unconditional, would i get some sort of priority as i live quite far away?)

Also can you torrent and is there a limit on how much you can download a month?

thanks
Original post by torchwood
I've got an offer from Glasgow but am still waiting for one of my choices the can't apply for accommodation, what are the chances of getting QM (I live 320miles away and the offer only depends on health clearance and police checks so its sort of unconditional, would i get some sort of priority as i live quite far away?)

Also can you torrent and is there a limit on how much you can download a month?

thanks

You don't get priority for distance (otherwise I would have ended up in uni accommodation not in Unite accommodation!) It's first come first serve so if you want QM really need to apply ASAP!
Original post by greeneyedgirl
You don't get priority for distance (otherwise I would have ended up in uni accommodation not in Unite accommodation!) It's first come first serve so if you want QM really need to apply ASAP!

its really annoying as I'm waiting for kings (first chioce), thus i can't firm and fet accommodation grrrrr :angry:

assuming i don't get QM, what else whall i go for? i had a look at the accommodation site and i wasnt sure about murano, student village and victoria halls :confused:

also how safe is Glasgow, apparently it has lots of gang violence?
its really annoying as I'm waiting for kings (first chioce), thus i can't firm and fet accommodation grrrrr :angry:

assuming i don't get QM, what else whall i go for? i had a look at the accommodation site and i wasnt sure about murano, student village and victoria halls :confused:

All of Glasgow you'll see as a student is safe. West End and City Centre and Merchant City are just as safe as other cities. Don't get into a gang and you're okay!

Victoria Halls are lovely IMO, loadsa friends there, student village is highly competed for and I prefer Cairncross to Murano by a long way!
Reply 991

Dude apply asap for accom if you want QM ... in 2 weeks all the unconditional places for QM went ... so glad i got one ! I know its hard to wait for Kings .....

Theres always Murano which has **** loads of rooms so youll have a high chance of getting a place there... Caincross is nice but i hear its long corridors and not ensuite.

Lots of people tell me Glasgow is like any other big city ... if you walk into the bad areas its your fault.... stick to the uni area and central bit and i hear you will be perfectly fine.... Mate you know Elephant and castle, where KCL's halls are, is an unbelievable bad area... You cant away from areas like that ...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 992
I know some people who got give spaces in QM last week, so they are dishing out spaces now.
Hey, I finally got round to accepting my contract, but I'm slightly confused.
It said at the start that if I'm under 18 (which I am by literally days... :/) they have to send an email out to someone over 18, verifying the contract, and the offer would remain conditional until the confirmation by someone over 18 was sent back to Glasgow Uni.
However, whilst filling in the application, there was a part asking for someone over 18 to sign and verify the application, plus the details of the bill payer and emergency contract.
I've paid and accepted, and I'm now faced with a page saying, "Congratulations, you have now accepted your Accommodation Contract. Summary below. <SUMMARY> We look forward to welcoming you into residence at the University of Glasgow."
Is that it confirmed then? I don't need to do anything else? I've been sent an email with the receipt of payment, but no others.
Reply 994
I'm probably going to sound really thick but I'm slightly confused about applying for the accommodation. I've registered and am about to put my choices in but I had assumed that offers wouldn't be given out to conditional students until after results day? I'm not sure if I'm going to Glasgow or not as i've applied to a uni in the south of Ireland outside of UCAS. So I would't want to apply for accommodation, get offered a contract and then have to pay even though i'm not sure if i'll go there or not.

So if I apply now will I be put into a contract when I'm not sure if i'll end up at Glasgow?
I hope this makes sense!
Original post by rmagee611
I'm probably going to sound really thick but I'm slightly confused about applying for the accommodation. I've registered and am about to put my choices in but I had assumed that offers wouldn't be given out to conditional students until after results day? I'm not sure if I'm going to Glasgow or not as i've applied to a uni in the south of Ireland outside of UCAS. So I would't want to apply for accommodation, get offered a contract and then have to pay even though i'm not sure if i'll go there or not.

So if I apply now will I be put into a contract when I'm not sure if i'll end up at Glasgow?
I hope this makes sense!

No. You get an offer of accommodation made to you on results day (or a few days after) and you have 4 days or something to accept it. If you don't accept it that's fine.
Reply 996
Can anybody tell how far Murano is from the city centre? Thanks! ; )
Reply 997
Original post by Vysneta

10-15 minutes walk

EDIT: My bad i thought you said to the Uni ... hangover messed me up. Yeah its around 40 min walk.... i would just walk to hillhead station and get an underground
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Vysneta

10-15 minutes walk

Eh, that by car. More like 35-40 mins by foot to Buchanan Galleries. :tongue:
Original post by kerri123
Hey, I have an unconditional for Politics at Glasgow and I'm just about to make my accomodation choices but I have a few questions first If someone wouldn't mind helping me?

I think I'm going to choose Murano as 1st choice but I don't know whether to go for a small or large flat- which is better?

It says on the Uni website that you have to wait with your laundry at the laundry rooms. I don't fancy waiting half an hour for my washing to dry every week- is this necessary!? hahaa

Is it true that the area surrounding Murano is really dodgy?

In the larger flats in Murano, are there two toilets and showers as opposed to the one in the smaller flats because there are twice as many people?

Sorry If these questions seem really stupid or anything! haha. Thank you so much to anyone who can help me :smile:

large flats are more fun and sociable, small flats are quiet and boring.
you don't have to wait with your laundry, the washing machine door locks whilst it's washing.
maryhill is pretty dodgy it's true but it's not really a bother. i don't find myself hanging around there often, we normally go to byres road/ashton lane (not far) or the city centre.
i think large flats vary, some have baths and showers, some only have showers. i live in a small flat and there is 1 toilet and 2 showers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending