The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RichardJT
I've just received and accepted an accomodation offer in Wolfson, I have a concern, though. I'm absolutely fine with the residence being farther away from than main campus than others, what scares me, however, is the lack of a stove/cooker in the kitchens. This is due to me wanting to make coffee that isn't absolute xxxx and the fact they don't offer catering on holidays. Is there a way around this problem (are there cooking facilities anywhere etc)? How have previous residents managed?

A stove to make coffee? Are you mental? Buy a coffee machine if you need your artisan roast blend. (that was a list of disparate coffee-related words. I do not know what they mean)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by seashells~
Haha okay. Well thanks for letting me know :smile: I just don't know why they can't tell us what flat we're in before we go!

How would, Moorfoot House, Flat C, Room 8 be useful to you at this point?
Original post by Norton1
A stove to make coffee? Are you mental? Buy a coffee machine if you need your artisan roast blend. (that was a list of disparate coffee-related words. I do not know what they mean)

Any decent coffee machine is far too expensive, I would've needed a stove as a cheap way of making a good coffee. I'm no coffee snob, but the stuff made using the ordinary 20-pound machines is disgusting. I'm sorry if I offended you, I'll promise to stick to my gourmet l'eau exclusif supreme from now on.
Original post by RichardJT
Any decent coffee machine is far too expensive, I would've needed a stove as a cheap way of making a good coffee. I'm no coffee snob, but the stuff made using the ordinary 20-pound machines is disgusting. I'm sorry if I offended you, I'll promise to stick to my gourmet l'eau exclusif supreme from now on.

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

It's Tesco Value coffee made in a chipped mug with an illicit kettle from now on I'm afraid.
Original post by Norton1
Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

It's Tesco Value coffee made in a chipped mug with an illicit kettle from now on I'm afraid.

..or tea. An illicit kettle sounds ominously alluring though. I'll see if I can find one with a square-and-compass design.
Can't believe they don't provide any cutlery or crockery at all in Cairncross. Not even cups for a cup of tea - you gotta go out and buy them yourself, apparently. Not to mention they charge you every time you want to wash your clothes. What a rip off!!

On the other hand, Glasgow is so ridiculously cheap, I can't even see the point in going out to buy cooking equipment. Not when a big pub meal costs as little as 5 pounds!!! Amazing.

This place is pretty much deserted atm. Looking forward to the non-internationals rocking up soon so I won't be constantly surrounded by a bunch of annoying Americans.
Original post by Bojangler
Can't believe they don't provide any cutlery or crockery at all in Cairncross. Not even cups for a cup of tea - you gotta go out and buy them yourself, apparently. Not to mention they charge you every time you want to wash your clothes. What a rip off!!

On the other hand, Glasgow is so ridiculously cheap, I can't even see the point in going out to buy cooking equipment. Not when a big pub meal costs as little as 5 pounds!!! Amazing.

This place is pretty much deserted atm. Looking forward to the non-internationals rocking up soon so I won't be constantly surrounded by a bunch of annoying Americans.

TBH it's standard at all British unis to make you provide your own crockery. It's good cos it means in later years you still have it :yep:
Reply 1587
Do we bring our contract when we arrive at Murano ?
Original post by RockU
Do we bring our contract when we arrive at Murano ?

I think you are meant to but I just rocked up at the CSB and the guy just asked for ID and then checked my name off a list and gave me my keys. I'd take it just in case....
Hi anyone who is currently at cairncross. What is it that we need to bring in terms of forms if any for arrival on the day?
Reply 1590
Not sure if it's already been mentioned (can't be bothered trawling through 81 pages of posts) but do you set up payments for accommodation through MyCampus? If so, how do you go about doing that? I can't seem to find anything on there...

I'll be staying in Cairncross - moving up on the Saturday.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
TBH it's standard at all British unis to make you provide your own crockery. It's good cos it means in later years you still have it :yep:

Yah, I guess I've just never lived in student dorms before. Takes some getting used to. And I don't know how feasible it is to take a whole lot of crockery back on the plane to Australia with me :tongue:. I'm hoping that when the rest of the peeps move in we can arrange some kind of 'pot...share...thingy.' :biggrin:

Original post by General_Suvorov
Hi anyone who is currently at cairncross. What is it that we need to bring in terms of forms if any for arrival on the day?

The guy just asked me for ID and that was it. :smile:

Original post by Alta
Not sure if it's already been mentioned (can't be bothered trawling through 81 pages of posts) but do you set up payments for accommodation through MyCampus? If so, how do you go about doing that? I can't seem to find anything on there...

I'll be staying in Cairncross - moving up on the Saturday.

I don't really know, but there was an email sent around a few days ago advising that the system on MyCampus was suffering from some glitches and advising us not to pay anything until we received further word. I'm not sure if they've got it fixed, but I haven't paid anything yet, and I don't intend to until it's all clearly sorted, probably some time after Fresher's Week.

Looking forward to running into you around Cairncross. :smile:
Original post by Bojangler
Yah, I guess I've just never lived in student dorms before. Takes some getting used to. And I don't know how feasible it is to take a whole lot of crockery back on the plane to Australia with me :tongue:. I'm hoping that when the rest of the peeps move in we can arrange some kind of 'pot...share...thingy.' :biggrin:

I'm currently on a year abroad in Calgary and I'm just leaving all my crockery here as I really can't be bothered to take it all back to Glasgow esp when it was cheapy Walmart stuff!
Reply 1593
Ok, I've found out how to set up a DirectDebit, but now I need to find out how to get MyCampus to acknowledge my Accommodation contract. Anyone know how to do this?

I'm sure they make the MyCampus system confusing on purpose...
Argh it was crazy at Murano today!! I can't imagine what it'll be like tomorrow!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1595
I have a question - I'm gonna be 23 when I start uni - am I gonna be randomly mixed in with 18 year olds or other mature students?
Original post by Adarax
I have a question - I'm gonna be 23 when I start uni - am I gonna be randomly mixed in with 18 year olds or other mature students?

In classes or accommodation?

Because classes :yep:

Accommodation I guess it depends where you go...I would expect most mature students to not stay in halls.
Reply 1597
Original post by greeneyedgirl
In classes or accommodation?

Because classes :yep:

Accommodation I guess it depends where you go...I would expect most mature students to not stay in halls.

Yeah I meant accommodation :smile: I'm planning to use uni accommodation.
Original post by Adarax
Yeah I meant accommodation :smile: I'm planning to use uni accommodation.

There are probably some halls which have more mature students than others but in general a lot will be freshers!
Hello! I have received a conditional offer from Glasgow Uni (for Physics) and I have a question regarding accomodation. As I prefer a quiet medium where I can study peacefully as much as I want, I will probably apply for the Students Apartaments or Cairncross (the fact that they are close to the uni is an important factor). The question is, how probable is it for me to actually get to live in one of these two halls and not be sent to another one (if I apply, let's say, in April or May for accomodation)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending