The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MarshmallowTea
Hey! I have photos of QM - i stayed there last year and its really nice :smile: There are plenty of parties going on during the week, so don't think you'll be missing out too much! I've not been to Murano, but most people i've spoken to who've been to murano think QM is muuuch nicer in comparison, and sometimes, its good to have a quieter place. I'm a graduate, and in both my halls experiences I've found that although the place you stay in does make some difference, its the people you share your flat/halls with that really make it special - and unfortunately you can't choose that! I was plenty happy with QM, don't think I'd choose murano over QM any day though I'm sure its nice as well. The kitchen in QM is really good, its so spacious and each person gets like 3 cupboards!!

The ensuite really is useful and quite nice - its very small but you get used to it and actually, I think its a good size for 1 person (sorry no photos of kitchen or bathroom). Its convenient and means you can keep all your stuff in there and its more homely than the shared bathrooms......I'd recommend getting a bath mat though if you do pick QM, the floor gets really wet after a shower!

The rooms are really good; they're pretty spacious although each room does vary. In my block, room 1 (by the door - my room) was a medium size, lots of floor space and a big window!), rooms 2 and 5 were pretty similar, with room 3 being smaller and room 4 being absolutely huge. Its a bit of luck but its good to have lots of storage space (i probably brought too much with me) and the big desk is REALLY useful. It doesn't have a hole at the back for cables though, which is a bit annoying if you have a desktop. I was lucky ad could actually see the uni spire (the pointy thing in the background) from my window!
Anyways, hope the pics are helpful! (nb you only get a large (but not full length) mirror above the chests of drawers, not the tiled mirrors in my room - they were put up by a previous student!)

room 1.JPGphoto3.JPGphoto.JPGphoto2.JPGphoto6.JPG

Aww, thanks, that's really helpful! I took the plunge and put QM first, fingers crossed I get it but I figured I've applied late anyway, so I probably won't and in that case, there won't be much regrets, but you've made me really hope I have it now! There's loads more storage space, which I definitely need!!! Fingers crossed, eh?

My main issue was it being really quiet, but to be honest, I don't know why I'm worrying, I'm just scared I won't make friends, haha! But I really appreciate it!

By the way, I hope the mirror wasn't your addition, I could do with one of those. :wink:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by MarshmallowTea
Hey! I have photos of QM - i stayed there last year and its really nice :smile: There are plenty of parties going on during the week, so don't think you'll be missing out too much! I've not been to Murano, but most people i've spoken to who've been to murano think QM is muuuch nicer in comparison, and sometimes, its good to have a quieter place. I'm a graduate, and in both my halls experiences I've found that although the place you stay in does make some difference, its the people you share your flat/halls with that really make it special - and unfortunately you can't choose that! I was plenty happy with QM, don't think I'd choose murano over QM any day though I'm sure its nice as well. The kitchen in QM is really good, its so spacious and each person gets like 3 cupboards!!

The ensuite really is useful and quite nice - its very small but you get used to it and actually, I think its a good size for 1 person (sorry no photos of kitchen or bathroom). Its convenient and means you can keep all your stuff in there and its more homely than the shared bathrooms......I'd recommend getting a bath mat though if you do pick QM, the floor gets really wet after a shower!

The rooms are really good; they're pretty spacious although each room does vary. In my block, room 1 (by the door - my room) was a medium size, lots of floor space and a big window!), rooms 2 and 5 were pretty similar, with room 3 being smaller and room 4 being absolutely huge. Its a bit of luck but its good to have lots of storage space (i probably brought too much with me) and the big desk is REALLY useful. It doesn't have a hole at the back for cables though, which is a bit annoying if you have a desktop. I was lucky ad could actually see the uni spire (the pointy thing in the background) from my window!
Anyways, hope the pics are helpful! (nb you only get a large (but not full length) mirror above the chests of drawers, not the tiled mirrors in my room - they were put up by a previous student!)

room 1.JPGphoto3.JPGphoto.JPGphoto2.JPGphoto6.JPG

I really wished I could've applied for QM, it looks lovely in comparison to Murano (Where I am going :smile:) shame I couldn't afford the rent from just my student loan, and I wouldn't want to risk being moneyless. Looks great though, am well jell.
Original post by AshleighDavidson
Aww, thanks, that's really helpful! I took the plunge and put QM first, fingers crossed I get it but I figured I've applied late anyway, so I probably won't and in that case, there won't be much regrets, but you've made me really hope I have it now! There's loads more storage space, which I definitely need!!! Fingers crossed, eh?

My main issue was it being really quiet, but to be honest, I don't know why I'm worrying, I'm just scared I won't make friends, haha! But I really appreciate it!

By the way, I hope the mirror wasn't your addition, I could do with one of those. :wink:

Welcome! Glad it was of some use :smile: Yeah, I know what you mean about it being quiet - making friends is really important but people in QM were really friendly in my year. It might not be quite as wild as murano but there are plenty of people in your flat/block to go out with, an there'll be people going to the union/clubs most nights during the week, particularly during freshers! Plus, less people per kitchen means there's less chance you'll get into disputes/arguments with flatmates - which from the sounds of it were a bit more common than QM! Honestly though, it depends on the people in your flat who will be randomly selected anyway! QM is great, but if you get murano, I'm sure you'll love it too! You'll make great friends either way (so don't worry, everyone is in the same boat coming to uni) and in the end, you won't really care about where you stay! My halls for my first degree was at imperial, and I picked the sort of murano equivalent I suppose and I had the time of my life, literally! It was very sociable and I really loved it there, even though the rooms weren't as nice as the ones some of my friends had at the posher halls (paying £250pw!!!). I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as you want to be sociable, there'll always be the opportunity! Hope you get QM, but honestly don't worry - you will have an amazing year whatever!

Also, yes, the storage is amazing. I brought so much stuff that I never even used (and the double wardrobes are v v useful too!) and accumulated so many things throughout the year. I think now that I'm going to be renting a place with significantly less storage space, I'll have to learn to live a bit more minimilistically :P I wish I could have taken a photo of it after my parents arrived with all my stuff (I only brought a suitcase at first as they couldn't come till a week later) - it looks quite bare now but eventually became really cluttered, hahaha.

No the mirror wasn't mine, but it was from a student before me so you will unlikely have that when you arrive - I think you can get over the door mirrors though, or buy those command hooks (the sticky ones that can be removed from the walls without marks - I bought mine from rymans and they work reeeeeeeeeeally well) and hang one. Or in most cases you can fit a stand alone full length mirror in your room somewhere haha, it really is quite handy!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheFOMaster
I really wished I could've applied for QM, it looks lovely in comparison to Murano (Where I am going :smile:) shame I couldn't afford the rent from just my student loan, and I wouldn't want to risk being moneyless. Looks great though, am well jell.

Yeah it was really lovely, but you'll have fun at Murano - had friends who lived there and they loved it :smile: Plus, if you want to save money the extra £20 a week makes a fair bit of difference......^^
Original post by Ankel
Hello guys!
I've got an offer for Winton Flats
(“The Hall”)
I'm 25 Postgrad...

what do u think about it? Any experience? I have just 3 days for deciding...

Hello! This might be a bit late or just on time :P But I have been to winton and its literally next door to QM, you can even walk through one to get to the other. Winton's decent, much quieter than murano or QM so good if you want to study. Again it will depend on your flatmates, but since they will be grads its likely to be less noisy! They were decent flats, kinda like a cross between murano and QM! I'm probably not much help but hope you are happy with your choice!
Reply 1825
Does anyone know when the £450 deposit has to be payed? Because I do NOT have that on hand. Will they charge it before the 16th when my loan comes in??
Original post by stuntout
Does anyone know when the £450 deposit has to be payed? Because I do NOT have that on hand. Will they charge it before the 16th when my loan comes in??

You have 14 days to pay for it after you receive an offer. If you don't have the deposit, I'd call residential services and ask about what you can do, but I don't think it'd be a massive problem for the university accommodation (it could be a problem however, in the private sector.)
Reply 1827
Is there anyone that has lived in murano student village that has pictures of their room? I know there are some on the website but a few more would be great! Thanks!
Reply 1828
I got am email saying Freshers Week starts on the 16th. When can we take up our places in accomodation? (Murano btw)
Reply 1829
Original post by stuntout
I got am email saying Freshers Week starts on the 16th. When can we take up our places in accomodation? (Murano btw)

The Friday (13th) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1830
Yup as said above you can move in on Friday 13th. (I'll be going into Murano Large Flats) :smile:
I've been offered a place at Murano (I'm studying Business Economics in case you were wondering) but how do I know if I'm in a small or a large flat?
Reply 1832
Original post by JackScott45
I've been offered a place at Murano (I'm studying Business Economics in case you were wondering) but how do I know if I'm in a small or a large flat?

For me my acceptance email said that I'd be in the Murano Large flats. So it should be somewhere in that confirmation email you receive :smile:
I've been offered a place at Kelvinhaugh Street, I thought this was just for later years and postgrads, am I wrong?
Original post by DipolarBitch
Yes. The beds are normal beds. They even provide linen. Though I suggest bringing your own to spruce the place up.

Oh thank God! Yeah I will :smile:
Original post by JackScott45

If the offer doesn't explicitly state that it's a 'large flat' then that should mean you're in a small flat! :smile:
Reply 1836
Original post by sophieamanda
I've been offered a place at Kelvinhaugh Street, I thought this was just for later years and postgrads, am I wrong?

Me too! I'm really not happy about it seeing as I didn't even put it on my list, were you a category A applicant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1837
Did everyone here get allocated category A status for accommodation? I'm v confused because I got put somewhere that wasn't at all on my list and its making me sad :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Laurzo
Did everyone here get allocated category A status for accommodation? I'm v confused because I got put somewhere that wasn't at all on my list and its making me sad :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would imagine everyone who ends up in uni accommodation is category A. You're unlucky to get somewhere not on your list, but you've got accommodation which is great. Can always try and transfer later though sure you'll enjoy it anyway.
Original post by Laurzo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Category A means that you're guaranteed accommodation based on where you live, not that you'll get your first choice unfortunately and I guess it depends as well on how early you apply. However I did email accommodation and they said that there's a chance you can change due to people not turning up/drop outs :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending