The Student Room Group

How to get A grade in A Level History?

Scroll to see replies

sadie-kiki
:ditto: to this

My aim is to do well enough on the 2 papers that I'm doing in January (210 UMSs) so that I don't have to do the coursework :p: or at least only have to write a crap essay in it to get what I need for an A.

It would be nice to get full marks in units 4 and 5, which would mean that I wouldn't even have to take unit 6 (which is worth 120 UMS). :p:

Not going to happen though.
Reply 21
The most important thing in answering a history exam questionis to answer the question directly, so you need to look for the key words and maybe highlight them. Then, once you have found the key point, you need to link back in every pragraph. You also need to explain each point that you make, not just state facts but give reasons.
In a source based question it is important to use the sources as much as you can, again including only relevant information and not just random stuff. All this still needs to be backed up by your own knowldege, but make sure that your answer isnt just based on your knowledge but that you are only using it as an evidence for the point that you made earlier.
Your introduction needs to be clear and you have to mention all of the points of your argument. Your conclusion needs to reflect your introduction but you need to make sure that you don't just repeat it but add something new, like a historians opinion (examiners like that).
Your answer needs to be structured and i think its a good idea to make aplan in the beginning, as first: it will help you make your answer more structured, and second: if you run out of time the examiner can use it to award you additional marks for what you were going to say. :yep:

I think thats all, there is probably more things that you can do but I don't remeber them now, will let you know if I do...
Hope this has helped :biggrin:
AG27
When you link back to the question at the end of each paragraph, will your point be similar to the one stated at the start of the paragraph?

Yeah, quite similar...Personally, I just make a general statement at the beginning which summarises the source/the point you are going to deal with. Then, once you've developed your argument within the paragraph, finish with a more detailed evaluation to link it back...and perhaps link on to another point/previous point to help it flow, e.g. ending with 'Although this source agrees with the statement that the Wall Street Crash was a factor in the rise of the Nazi party, source B contradicts this view, stating that the Wall Street Crash actually hindered them, which implies there is controversy over the effects of the events on 1929.' (Then start new paragraph on another source)
(Also, those Nazi Germany/Wall St Crash facts are probably tosh, I did it last year and forgotten half of it already :rolleyes: )
Hope that helps?
Reply 23
thats quite useful, thanks
Reply 24
Would wider reading of the units being studied, also be encouraged?
Reply 25
AG27

any reading around the subject is encouraged, since you will be able to give more examples and evidence to support your answer, also reading will help you improve your language and make your answer more sophisticated and developed...:wink:
AG27

Ooh I love doing this! I pick up a few random and interesting (yet useful) quotes and try and drop them into my essays. It helps them stand out and often these facts are the ones you remember more than anything else
Reply 27
yeah wider reading would help, getting an A does mainly depend on specific details, especially in essays, and a good structure. my teacher last year gave me this
c- category (like political oppostion)
R- reason (like a sub heading, somethinng within to your category)
E- evidence (the specific things)
E- explain (explain how the evidence links to your category/reason)
m- mini conclusion (do one of these after every category to bascically summarise everything)

hope that helps, good luck x x :smile:
Work...
AG27
Hi, I've taken History for A-Level and currently I'm at a C/B grade; i was wondering what I can do to make sure I can improve to get an A grade at the end of the year.

Thanks

learn the mark scheme :rolleyes: (and I'm not kidding).

If you speak your own mind at A-level, you will fail. Write exactly what's on the mark scheme and you'll do well.
for source based essay

Introduction
Stated factor
--sources that back up what the questions implying
--link them
--discuss reliability
Secondary factor
--sources that go against what the questions implying
--link them
--discuss reliability
Conclusion
--summarise and link the sources together again
--make a clear judgement

And don't forget to constantly link back to the question

Its boring, generic and formulaic but anything else has to be seriously good to get an A.
Reply 31
Profesh
I got an 'A', but haven't the slightest idea how, because I systematically disregarded every piece of advice given. I suppose the formulaic answer would be to marshal the views of as many historians as possible.

This, to be honest. I abhor the rigid essay structures my teachers tried to shove down my throat every lesson. The best bit of advice I can give you is to write convincingly. If you don't have a strong opinion then fake one, and if you're going to write a balanced argument, make sure you always say why you're right and they're wrong.
Reply 32
This was a similar thread, might be helpful, might not! Sorry its a bit long!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=14031710#post14031710

And I agree with the rest of the people on this thread, its the structure that can really get your grades up. Its incredibly annoying, takes any kind of originality out of your work and sucks the fun out of the subject basically, but it'll get you the marks so....
Reply 33
Wasps26
This was a similar thread, might be helpful, might not! Sorry its a bit long!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=14031710#post14031710

And I agree with the rest of the people on this thread, its the structure that can really get your grades up. Its incredibly annoying, takes any kind of originality out of your work and sucks the fun out of the subject basically, but it'll get you the marks so....

I agree.
and also... *Tennant squee*
Reply 34
This is for the surce base:
Structure your answer themematically, not source by source as you have shown. So (i don't do your topic) if the question asks why did reforms fail bewteen 1786-1788? reasons could be Louis incomeptence and the fact he was weak when under pressure, but another reason maybe that it was the uncooperative manner of the Paris parlement. You always test the sources with your own knowledge. So far example: 'Source A shows/argues that it was Louis incomepetence that led to the failure of financial reforms, which is also shown in source C which states that " Insert quotation". We know that this is true because in 1786 when the reforms were drawn up by Necker which was aimed at removing the privileges of the nobility, there were too many vested interests in the paris parlement who were hostile towards his proposed reforms, which led to his sacking in 1877. However the sources were drawn up by both the clergy and the nobility, so a bias may be given in that they were trying to protect their own interest.

Always, Always Cross reference, between sources you can really get high grades when you do this. Always look at the Dates and the provenance, you will really do well if you can do this.

This is for the Essay:
Always always make sure you're analysing and evaluating in your essays. Just stating down facts will only get you a C. Analysis would come along the lines of "this was significant because", "this was effective because" "this was the cause of" etc. And then your evaluation would be saying how effective the arguement is, so why isn't it as important as another factor etc "this is less signinficant". Make sure you do this in every paragraph, and use the keywords in the question "to what extent". Also don't forget your facts and make sure you remember your dates.

I've probably missed out something, but I Hoped that helped :smile:
write notes
learn notes
do practice essays until you attain marks in the top band
read over notes the night before
read the mark scheme

do all this thoroughly and you will succeed! i got full marks in 2 modules and only lost 4 ums in 1 module= 296/300
history is so structured and answers are really mechanical so it's not as hard to revise for as, say, english...

good luck
history revision is actually interesting: you learn so many facts!
ElvisAint-Dead
Look at your teacher's comments on each essay that he/she has marked. Have you got a check list on what you need to include in your essays?

Remember to include links, make sure the information you use in your essays are relavant to the question and make sure in your conclusion you state which is the most inportant factor whilst addressing the other factors.

Also remember to PEEL
Point
Example
Explanation
Link back to the question

isnt that abit GCSE ish?
Write a well deveopd argumetn taking both sides of the argument into acount and make a well developd argument that includes strong evidenc 4 each point made
ElvisAint-Dead
Look at your teacher's comments on each essay that he/she has marked. Have you got a check list on what you need to include in your essays?

Remember to include links, make sure the information you use in your essays are relavant to the question and make sure in your conclusion you state which is the most inportant factor whilst addressing the other factors.

Also remember to PEEL
Point
Example
Explanation
Link back to the question

PEEL, we got taught that in year 9 :p:
But now in English we cant do that, because thats what the "foundation kids" do :frown:
Reply 39
- Start the answer by stating your line of argurment, eg. 'Although Stalin took advantage of his position as party secretary during the Bolshevik power struggle, it was the political mistakes of his opponents that contributed most to the consolidation of his power'. A short and sweet introduction like this will assure the examiner you know what you're on about.
- Generally speaking make one point per paragraph, make sure it is backed up by your own knowledge (and from the sources too, when possible). Systematically cover the issues you need to deal with this way. Make every one of your paragraphs being with an argumentative point that fits the demands of the essay question.
- Always answer the question. You are never be asked to 'Write everything you know about..'. You are rewarded for selecting precise knowledge/evidence and making a judgement related to the question. Never merely describe a situation, or provide unconvincing /unrelated edvience. Always make sure you are sticking to the demands of the question in your essay throughout.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending