The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
toothwort white
I think I have to agree with that. Though that probably has something to do with me doing English lit... (or so my friend says)

Yep, all the decent men are hiding in Computer Science :P
University of York
York
laser
Yep, all the decent men are hiding in Computer Science :P

You know that's a lie, don't you? :p:
Reply 62
toothwort white

You hurt my feelings :frown:
laser
You hurt my feelings :frown:

I'll take that back then.:yep: (Just remember you're studying said subject... :P)
toothwort white

Ouch :frown:
Reply 65
jovana
1) often times stereotypes exist for a reason. of course people at york do study, but from what i have seen, they also drink to excess and often. granted i don't live on campus and i don't go out, but i hear conversations on the bus, conversations in the halls before / after class, students talking in class before it starts about the night before, etc...and to be honest i am shocked by the amount students drink (and i think this is just uk students in general, i doubt its york specific) and i find it absolutely ridiculous that the schools promoite this by having bars all over campus essentially integrated with student dining facilities. universities should not be in the business of promoting / sponsering club nights or pub crawls and since i have been at here its been something that has really dissapointed me about the university experience.

2) i never said anything about it bringing my experience down. while i don't find people at york very attractive, what i actually said is that it doesn't really matter whether the people are good looking or not because its a good university. i would feel rather pathetic choosing a uni for anything but its academic reputation and what advantages it can bring my way. what this means is that it doesn't matter if the university is ugly, the people are ugly, the town / city is boring, the bars / clubs are lame, student housing is crap, etc...because 10 years down the line none of this **** will matter. what will matter is the education you get and the career opportunities your university will open up.

You know, for non-UK people it does take some effort to understand how people have fun here and to adapt to it. It seems to me that you're not even trying to get involved in social life and enjoy it. Finding faults in everything is very easy and comfortable, but on the longer term it feels so much better to be a part of it, no matter how much they drink (which is quite a stereotype and about half true anyway).

I as well had to give up on a lot of my principles and lifestyle just to make friends here, but I love them all. It's so much better than deliberately excluding yourself from campus life just because you can't be arsed to descend to the drunk English from your moral high ground.
Oh, and I haven't been drunk one single time since uni started.

I also wear slouchy boots and leggings, because they look pretty.
Reply 66
slugonamission

Also, yeah, some of us (including me), do have problems with spots. WE CAN'T HELP IT. I'm sorry that my hormones seem to be bringing your York experience down, I really am. I guess in your view that must mean I have no personality and aren't worth talking to.

So then, talking of stereotypes, let's break out the big one. I'm a computer scientist, and I love metal music. I guess that's the final nail in the coffin, eh?

Don't worry, we just have to accept that we are ugly mugs - because we chose YORK. Oh! if only I'd chosen somewhere else. Maybe then I wouldn't have been unfortunate enough to have an abnormal jaw-line, suffer from mild acne and hell, even have braces!

Why York!.. Why!?
It's the odour of duck poo coming from the lake. eventually it causes genetic mutations in all of us :frown:
Reply 68
What counts as an abnormal jawline, I wonder?
Probably a jawline that isn't normal
Reply 70
An abnormal jawline = every female jaw at York Uni :rolleyes:
Reply 71
Wind Guru

Lol.
Reply 72
Yes!
where the hell did this 'stereotype' come from??

I think it's from Private Eye, who consistently refer to the "University of Dork"
Reply 73
laser
I think it's from Private Eye, who consistently refer to the "University of Dork"

Private Eye is great. Why do they use that reference? They don't call names for no reason...
I am going to have to object to this thread.. I don't think I am that ugly and I don't think my boyfriend is either!

Come down to Goodricke, that's where all the hotties are.

Oh, or just come and watch cheerleading practice every now and again.
It is definately true. No hot, or even remotely attractive people in york
Reply 76
Solya
You know, for non-UK people it does take some effort to understand how people have fun here and to adapt to it. It seems to me that you're not even trying to get involved in social life and enjoy it. Finding faults in everything is very easy and comfortable, but on the longer term it feels so much better to be a part of it, no matter how much they drink (which is quite a stereotype and about half true anyway).

I as well had to give up on a lot of my principles and lifestyle just to make friends here, but I love them all. It's so much better than deliberately excluding yourself from campus life just because you can't be arsed to descend to the drunk English from your moral high ground.
Oh, and I haven't been drunk one single time since uni started.

I also wear slouchy boots and leggings, because they look pretty.

i've been in the country for a few years, and before that i lived on an island with tons of british expats. its not culture shock, i just grew out of that phase ages ago and i no longer think drinking to excess is an ideal sun/mon/tues/wed/thur evening... maybe going out on friday night or somesuch, but i'm not down with the madness. frankly hanging out with children newly unleashed from their mums and dads isn't my cup of tea. and i am sorry you felt like you had to give up your principles. lifestyles changes are understandable, but giving up who you are to fit in is is weak. the gist of this is that it is absolutely deliberatly exclusive...and for a valid reason...i have nothing in common with most 18/19 year old kids. That being said, i do understand that that is just the way uni life is here, and i suppose its like that at some schools in the us, but in general the drinking culture in britian is much more extreme then in the US and i find it suprising that an academic insitution would actively sponser it.

and no, they don't...they are a fashion disaster...which is why after their brief climax in the 80's they were shunned as ridiculous for over a decade. now they have come back and are worn by muppets too young to remember how horrible it all was the first time around. it may be fun now, but belive you me, in a few years you will look at old photos and ask "what was i thinking." (reason # 986750 why beling a slave to trends and dressing like top shop droids is foolish)

Wind Guru

i didn't say abnormal, i said unfortunate. i see it on guys too, not just girls...and i didn't say every, i said frequent. anyway, an unfortunate jaw line is when the jaw isn't well defined so there is no definition between neck and jaw. it also comes with an underbite / recessed lower jaw, but not always. its just a very common facial feature and it gives a face melted onto neck and goes straight onto the torso appearance. it sucks when you are people watching and you finally see someone who seems fit and then they get closer and then you realize they are another no neck.

am i being a bit overly harsh...perhaps so, but lets face it...if the world wasn't full of ugly people then the pretty ones wouldn't stand out so much.
(and these are not conceited ramblings since i don't feel that i belong in the latter catagory, despite my very fortunate jaw line)
Reply 77
You shouldn't be harsh about fashion, some people will probably hate what you wear.

It's a shame you think that the whole of UK are horrendous drinkers - not all of us are. I hardly ever drink, I can go out and enjoy myself but I don't have to have alcohol. And my friend's aren't like that either. I can have a few on the odd occassion like yourself, but never go over board. There are plenty of people at York Uni who can hold their drink, and there are plenty of people who do things besides clubbing.
I can see your points, but the way you write gives me the impression that you are narrow-minded and not willing to accept anyone before even getting to know them.

Do you have any hobbies?

As for the "unfortunate" jawline business - what? I have never seen that. You must have really high standards in terms of physical qualities.
Wind Guru
You shouldn't be harsh about fashion, some people will probably hate what you wear.

It's a shame you think that the whole of UK are horrendous drinkers - not all of us are. I hardly ever drink, I can go out and enjoy myself but I don't have to have alcohol. And my friend's aren't like that either. I can have a few on the odd occassion like yourself, but never go over board. There are plenty of people at York Uni who can hold their drink, and there are plenty of people who do things besides clubbing.
I can see your points, but the way you write gives me the impression that you are narrow-minded and not willing to accept anyone before even getting to know them.

Do you have any hobbies?

As for the "unfortunate" jawline business - what? I have never seen that. You must have really high standards in terms of physical qualities.

I agree with all of this. Nothing in common? It sounds so much like you've given up without trying and like prefer to feel superior rather than a failure for not having loads of friends. Obviously I don't know enough about the case to know, but it's difficult not to draw that conclusion.

And you have a very defined idea of 'the person you are'. 'Giving up who you are to fit in is is weak' - this very much suggests that you aren't planning on adapting so as to be more social/happy, which is a vital life skill. 'The person you are' is such a loosely defined concept as to be completely unhelpful.

There are loads of uni people in York that don't drink excessively I'm sure - you just haven't gone far enough to find them. Maybe you should start up a non-alcohol society next year, or something like that - and all your socials could be going to the movies or bowling or pub for a coke or whatever.

Anyway, it sounds like you should make more effort if you want more friends without writing everybody off as immature drunkard Brits.
Reply 79
IeuanF
I agree with all of this. Nothing in common? It sounds so much like you've given up without trying and like prefer to feel superior rather than a failure for not having loads of friends. Obviously I don't know enough about the case to know, but it's difficult not to draw that conclusion.

And you have a very defined idea of 'the person you are'. 'Giving up who you are to fit in is is weak' - this very much suggests that you aren't planning on adapting so as to be more social/happy, which is a vital life skill. 'The person you are' is such a loosely defined concept as to be completely unhelpful.

There are loads of uni people in York that don't drink excessively I'm sure - you just haven't gone far enough to find them. Maybe you should start up a non-alcohol society next year, or something like that - and all your socials could be going to the movies or bowling or pub for a coke or whatever.

Anyway, it sounds like you should make more effort if you want more friends without writing everybody off as immature drunkard Brits.

Most JCRs already run these sorts of events (Alcuin has weekly coffee and cake sessions, shopping trips to Leeds, etc) so a non-alchohol soc isn't really needed tbh.

I agree with IeuanF, part of who you are changes over time and one of the most defining factors is your environment.

Latest

Trending

Trending