The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends what you want from one i guess.
The one i've got is called 'Pharmacology Condensed' by Maureen M. Dale and Dennis G. Haylett which i really like as it's got a lot of the basics without too much detail and lots of nice diagrams that demonstrate it very well
Reply 2
The one I like is called the BNF - you look up what the consultant asked you to scribe and copy what it says.

The definitive textbook is Rang, et. al., I bought it in first year and used it less than half a dozen times.
Reply 3
Renal
The one I like is called the BNF - you look up what the consultant asked you to scribe and copy what it says.

The definitive textbook is Rang, et. al., I bought it in first year and used it less than half a dozen times.

Ooh I completely forgot about the BNF! And it's usually the first one i go to for any pharmacology type issue, though it doesn't give enough information about mode of action as i sometimes need which is where i find the condensed book so useful
I got Rang & Dale. Haven't used it much but it's quite straight-forward in its explanations and is good for reference. Pharmacology At a Glance is supposed to be excellent too if you don't want to fork out £30.
Reply 5
I like Rang and Dale's Pharmacology too, it's pretty comprehensive.
Rang & Dale seems to be a bit marmitey - check it out in the library first. I'm not such a fan personally but a lot of people really like it.
Reply 7
I loved Rang and Dale. It goes through the basics of each topic before launching into the drugs and mode of action, which is a good refresher if you can't quite remember what the effects of histamine are (so that you can then figure out what the effects of blocking histamine are).
BNF for the stuff that matters to the patient

Rang, Dale and Ritter for the sciencey stuff
Reply 9
Our pre-clinical pharmacology course is pretty intense and heavily based on Rang and Dale. Definitely worth getting. I still find myself referring to it two years later to remind myself of mechanisms.
Reply 10
Rang and Dale's ftw :love:.
Reply 11
Looks like we have A favorite
:getmecoat:
Reply 12
I wouldn't call it a favourite...
Reply 13
Renal
I wouldn't call it a favourite...

Most used?
Reply 14
DrVas
Most used?
Most owned. :p:
Reply 15
Well, does doorstop count as a use?

I found this book really useful too: http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Clinical-Pharmacology-ninth-Science/dp/0071410929
Medical Pharmacology at a Glance is a good short version - lots of clear diagrams and a good amount of detail.

I like Rang & Dale for the more detailed parts though.

What's the library like at your uni? I'd try a few out before you buy any, or you might even be able to get away with just using the library ones. (Glasgow's "Study Landscape" means all I own is the Anatomy Colouring Book...)
Reply 17
For the really hardcore go for Goodman & Gilman, literally all you need for Pharmacology
I've got Lippincott's, which is quite good. I would read it more, but I have an aversion to textbooks...
Reply 19
As before, Rang is pretty good. Don't buy a pharm textbook (unless you want a £40 doorstop). Use the library, that's what it's there for.

Latest

Trending

Trending