The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Go to University and do Economics if you can. Depending on the uni you should still have a choice of options and should be able to pick a few accounting ones. If not, go with an Accounting & Finance degree.

During your degree get as much work experience with accounting firms/IBs as possible. They have loads of career fairs, office tours, week work experience, internships, etc to look at. From that you should get a good idea of what you want to do. Try and get some extra circular activities too, especially in sports clubs.

There's loads of training opportunities after University.

1. CIMA (management accountant) in industry. This is usually with a FTSE 250 company. The bigger the better.
2. ACCA/ACA/CA (chartered/certified accountant). This is mainly in audit with companies such as KPMG, Deloitte, PWC, E&Y, Baker Tilly, etc. A lot of these companies have other service lines too like Tax where you can get both a CA and CTA (Tax advisor).
3. Banking. This again, can be a range of things like investment banking (look at the work life as well as the salary), investment consulting, etc. They have their own forum. Beware, it's ugly. You'll get a fair amount of bias and rose tinted glasses there.
Reply 2
Kemik
Go to University and do Economics if you can. Depending on the uni you should still have a choice of options and should be able to pick a few accounting ones. If not, go with an Accounting & Finance degree.

During your degree get as much work experience with accounting firms/IBs as possible. They have loads of career fairs, office tours, week work experience, internships, etc to look at. From that you should get a good idea of what you want to do. Try and get some extra circular activities too, especially in sports clubs.

Ditto! Deffinatly go to uni first.

However, you said you were not as good at economics? so this may not be the best route. Accounting/finance would be a good idea especially if you can find a course that offers exemptions from your profesional exams.

Work experience is so so importatant within this industry - even unpaid! take anything and everything you can get. make yourself stand out.
Reply 3
Jazzy.Shredder
It's not that I'm not good with Economics (got 273 out of 300 in Economics in my AS, and 89 out of 100 in my O's. Not too shabby, methinks.). It's just that I don't want to study it. It's BORING! Plus I'm better in Accounting.

But why is it that you guys are recommending going to the uni first? Wouldn't the ACCA be a good substitute?

You're not 100% sure what you want to do. University gives you the greatest opportunities at the end of it compared to ACCA. You can find a few big companies offering after-college training but the pay won't be great.
Reply 4
Kemik
You're not 100% sure what you want to do. University gives you the greatest opportunities at the end of it compared to ACCA. You can find a few big companies offering after-college training but the pay won't be great.

Get out of my head :P

I totaly agree! ACCA will be easier to do after you have studied accounting (if u have never done it before) only 50% pass it so they are not easy peasy. You may also gain exemptions from your exams.

If you are unsure of what you want to do, common sense would sugest that you dont narrow your options down. you may come out of uni and find that you dont wantto do accounting. especially if it is something you have not done before.
Reply 5
Jazzy.Shredder
And another question to add: is it possible to get directly into an Accountancy firm after my A'levels?

Yes, but u wud start from the bottom. do you have any accounting experience, at all?

My friend went into a small accounting company straight from GCSE, he has just finished 2 yrs of AAT. doing a degree wud give u the best chance of getting into a bigger company, which wud start u on a higher salary.
Reply 6
Jazzy.Shredder
Zero accounting experience. Is the experience a necessity in order to get a job, even if it's at the very bottom?

If you owned a hospital, and wanted a doctor, would you employ a carpenter? If you were an accountant would you hire a student with no experience whatsoever? No offence meant AT ALL. but i would not. There is an element of learning in all jobs. but it would be hard to get an accounting job with no knowledge of double entry or simple accounting techniques.

I did work experience with hacker young a few months ago and their intern was 18, had finished school with 3 a levels CCC and was training to do ACCA, he woked a full week and was on £6000 a year. (I actualy thought that this was illegal so went and researched, he was classified as an apprentice so it was fine)

It cant hurt to try though. so why not apply for jobs and to uni, and if the jobs fall thru u have a back up?
Reply 7
I see what you mean. Do you understand double entry? what are your AS grades and expected A level grades?
Reply 8
To be fair, you could get a position with no work experience but you'll find it much harder. Here's an example...

I done an internship in the summer after my second year and was offered a graduate position. We're now in the third year and my friends are scrambling for jobs while revising and doing coursework.
Reply 9
Kemik
my friends are scrambling for jobs while revising and doing coursework.

*jelous* im having to do that!
Reply 10
Jazzy.Shredder
Hi.

*ponders about how to get on with this...! =/*

BEWARE: Long post ahead. Stock up on coffee first before starting to read! =P

Okay, so basically, I'll be completing my A levels by the upcoming May/June. I gave my O'levels in May '07 ("A" in Accounting, Economics, Bengali, English Language, and Maths B; "B" in Physics and Pure Maths) and my AS levels in May '08 ("A" in Mathematics, Economics, Accounting; "B' in Physics. In my A2, however, I also have Further Pure Mathematics; gonna get an "A" on it anyway!). I've applied to 5 universities in UK through UCAS for studying Accounting & Finance; and I'm still awaiting their replies.

But, to be honest, I really don't have a clue as to what I want to do in future. Well, I actually do (FWIW, I wish to be a session guitar player!), but my parents WON'T allow me to study that, even if it's the end of the world. So I figured I might as well study Accounting, since I find it quite easy (unlike Economics or Physics), and I have good grades in all the subjects of my A & O'levels that are required to study Accounting at uni.

Recently, though, my father brought up the topic of doing an "ACCA" course or something that is equivalent to doing my undergraduate study in uni, except that with this course done I can directly get into a firm with a job, as opposed to having to finish my postgraduate study at uni before getting a job. Neither of us were sure of any of this info, though; and skimming through the net left me even more confused (as you may have guessed, I'm far from being the "studious" or "nerdy" type, so I don't have ANY knowledge about all these courses, at all!).

Now I'm confused as to what path I should take. Basically, all I want to do is to get hold of some kind of degree in Accounting in as short time as possible, so I can get a job and earn some cash (even if it turns out that the money I'll be earning will be amongst the lowest range possible in the Accountancy line. As long as it's better than working, say, in a restaurant earning minimum hourly wage, I'm in! =P). I wish to do this so I can sorta "complete" my studies upto to certain degree, so that I can earn a somewhat "decent"/"livable" income while trying to establish myself in the music scene; and, if it turns out that I fail to establish myself in the career of my choice (which is highly probable, given my incompetence with my instrument...but let's save that one for another thread! :wink:), I can turn around and resume studying accountancy and (maybe) get some high-paid job in this field.

SOOOO, what sayst thou? What should I go for? Do I have any more options? Care to elaborate on the ACCA thing?

im working in a small to medium sized financial services firm for a few months to get some £ together for my gap year travels. btw i dont want to go into accountancy at all, im just doing it as i earn more than i would in a bar + nice experience.

there are a number of employees in accntcy dept who joined at 17/18 at the minimum wage and worked 4 days a week and spent mondays studying for their professional exams. i think it takes them about 6/7 years to actually qualify. my main warning is that you ust be prepared to do absolute donkey work for practically zero compensation. im just just 18 and temping with basically no extraordinary knowledge of accounting and i was doing the same set of accounts that a 22 year old trainee was doing last year. the firm will usually pay for your exams and your wage will usually increase each time you pass a professional exam, but only slightly, i dont think even the almost-qualified ones earn very much at all.

any more questions about that route and i might be able to help.

i recommend going to uni btw.

ED: id just like to point out that my employers know that i dont want to go into accountancy at all, im not studying accfin at uni, neither did i do accounting at school. i literally walked in with a CV and asked for a job and they gave me one - so its cant be ridiculously difficult.
Reply 11
loafer
there are a number of employees in accntcy dept who joined at 17/18 at the minimum wage and worked 4 days a week and spent mondays studying for their professional exams. i think it takes them about 6/7 years to actually qualify.

6 years?! That's the same as doing a degree but involves working! I know which one I'd pick. AAT with ACCA and a full time job or three years of fun and ACCA.
Reply 12
Kemik
6 years?! That's the same as doing a degree but involves working! I know which one I'd pick. AAT with ACCA and a full time job or three years of fun and ACCA.

i should say that thats the amount of time that seems to be the norm in my office, maybe one could to take exams at a faster rate at a different firm or a different exam board or something.

to be fair the trainee accountants arent the sharpest tools in the box.
Reply 13
Jazzy.Shredder
HOLY! Never pictured it to be THAT bad. Hmmm...well in that case I might consider just doing the ACCA, then trying to get a job?

well i dont want to put you off completely, but thats just what its like at my particular firm. it may be a completely different story somewhere else!
6-7 years is the maximum. The big 4 take on 18 year olds and both the AAT-ACA and ACCA route both take 4 years.
Reply 15
Hey guys , im half way through a accounting degree. I might get a 2:2 and was wondering if i should go to AAT , i heard its hard getting into a trainee job . The work experience would be great as well . Iv heard of people getting 2:1s and taking them 3 years to get into a trainee ACCA contract?
Reply 16
Kemik

There's loads of training opportunities after University.

1. CIMA (management accountant) in industry. This is usually with a FTSE 250 company. The bigger the better.
2. ACCA/ACA/CA (chartered/certified accountant). This is mainly in audit with companies such as KPMG, Deloitte, PWC, E&Y, Baker Tilly, etc. A lot of these companies have other service lines too like Tax where you can get both a CA and CTA (Tax advisor).
3. Banking. This again, can be a range of things like investment banking (look at the work life as well as the salary), investment consulting, etc. They have their own forum. Beware, it's ugly. You'll get a fair amount of bias and rose tinted glasses there.

Yep investment ******* i mean bankers will still be bigging themselves up even now. They havent posted in here for quite a while now have they? :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending