The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
4 As you wont get in I'm pretty sure. although you can apply to as many universities as you want.
Reply 21
What is 480 leaving cert points?
Reply 22
how mnay A's is 480 poins, 3?
Reply 23
What are entry requirements for Medicine in other universities?
Reply 24
A = 120
A X 4 = 480?
Reply 25
an A1 = 100 points , B1 = 90 points etc, 80 is a C1, so you would need 4 A1's and a C1, or at least a different combination of A's and B's within your 6 subjects to make up the 480.

that's for grades with Leaving cert subjects though, i think if you haven't sat leaving cert exams and would be applying using GSCe or A levels(not sure which is used in UK for uni entrance), then the uni's or Cao would give out different requirements based on exams and subjects. I think it would be best if you contacted TCD/ UCd or other NUI institutions asking them to give you requirements rather than getting them here. The grades asked will probably differ with each one.
I had to do similiar, but applying with leaving cert grades/points to UK uni's so i had to contact the uni's asking them as I found it hard to convert the LC grades to UK exams requirements. Each uni gave me vastly different requirements. Some said ABB, some said 5A's and a B/c grade, others BBCC.
AdamWalsh
Look by the way!!! Dublin aint to expensive any longer with a current exchange rate of 98P/1 Euro

That's bad! The price of things hasn't gone down. Irish people are still paying prices calculated a year ago at the other exhange rate, so it's still 60 euro for a pair of jeans that would be £40 in the UK.
That exchange rate is even older than that. It's disgraceful. I won't buy a single thing when I'm at home now.
Reply 28
thank you guys for the information, was really helpful. I'm doubting my decision to apply to Ireland as it is really expensive to register (£500) and the HPAT test itself is £90.

Are the Universities there also known to be harder to get in than in the UK (like newcastle for example?) If so, i feel that my chances of getting in are low (seeing as i've already had 2 rejections from manchester + oxford) and so i would be applying to ireland in vain, in addition to wasting money.

Advice please, as to what i should do? Is it more worth it, if i get rejections from newcastle and leeds as well, to just go to Kings College (of which i have a biomedicine offer for) and transfer to do the 4-year Accelerated Course for Medicine?

Many thanks
£500 to register for what? If you're talking about registering for the University itself then by paying that you're saving loads of money because you don't have to pay fees(not if you're an EU national anyways)
Reply 30
What is the order of universities for medicine from best to worst?
Your choices are Cork, Galway, Trinity, Dublin and RCSI. It's all the one really. There are some who'll tell you Trinity wins hands down(I don't and never have believed that)

Personally I'd go to Galway, because I spent three years doing my undergrad there and they were the best three of my life. After that I'd choose Trinity/RCSI and then Cork and then Dublin. It depends what you want. What sort of atmosphere you like, bigger city smaller city etc. In terms of the qualification you get or how it's regarded there won't be much of a difference.
Reply 32
c0ral
thank you guys for the information, was really helpful. I'm doubting my decision to apply to Ireland as it is really expensive to register (£500) and the HPAT test itself is £90.

500?? cost me 35 euro! and i live in the UK
Reply 33
ye its 35 and 90 for HPAT
foofan
500?? cost me 35 euro! and i live in the UK

500 Euros is the registration fee (to enrol in a course)- so only if you get in and actually choose to go there to do that course.
And as well as that you have to pay some other money such as students' union levy and stuff like that. All in all it comes to about a thousand euro(depending on university), but it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than paying fees in england.
hi, i am currently a first year student at tcd - last year their requirements were 590 points - which is 4A's in A level as 1A = 150 points; this year they lowered the requirements but also introduced the HPAT test, i don't know the exact amount but you should be able to find out through their web site www.tcd.ie

Just need to clarify, the university in ireland only look at your grades - obviously now the HPAT is introduced your personality also is taken into account, but the HPAT gives a score and that is added to your total score, and thats all the universities look at. So, if you meet the minimum score, you are in (cept if all the places are already filled with people that has higher points than you)

The universities that does medicine in ireland are: TCD, UCD, RCSI, NUI Galway and Cork; i would say all 5 are competent enough to teach medicine, and it does not matter where you graduated from. Having said that - TCD is currently ranked number one in all the irish universities, and is ranked 49th in the world; UCD is the second which is ranked below 100; so if you believe in these tables then TCD would have a better international reputation than the rest of the ones i mentioned above.

As a trinity student i actually think UCD/RCSI's course is better structured than ours - but then its just my personal opnion.

O and about fees, I am currently paying free fees at the moment, which means i only need to pay for the registration fees (around 800 euros) and thats it for the year; having said that living in dublin is incredibly expensive. I THINK you are categorized into the free fees status if you hold a british passport and have reside in britian for the past 5 years or so, which was my case (or if you are an actual irish citizen)

Anyhow... best of luck with the application; and maybe i'll see you next year!
Reply 37
billykwok
hi, i am currently a first year student at tcd - last year their requirements were 590 points - which is 4A's in A level as 1A = 150 points; this year they lowered the requirements but also introduced the HPAT test, i don't know the exact amount but you should be able to find out through their web site www.tcd.ie

Just need to clarify, the university in ireland only look at your grades - obviously now the HPAT is introduced your personality also is taken into account, but the HPAT gives a score and that is added to your total score, and thats all the universities look at. So, if you meet the minimum score, you are in (cept if all the places are already filled with people that has higher points than you)

The universities that does medicine in ireland are: TCD, UCD, RCSI, NUI Galway and Cork; i would say all 5 are competent enough to teach medicine, and it does not matter where you graduated from. Having said that - TCD is currently ranked number one in all the irish universities, and is ranked 49th in the world; UCD is the second which is ranked below 100; so if you believe in these tables then TCD would have a better international reputation than the rest of the ones i mentioned above.

As a trinity student i actually think UCD/RCSI's course is better structured than ours - but then its just my personal opnion.

O and about fees, I am currently paying free fees at the moment, which means i only need to pay for the registration fees (around 800 euros) and thats it for the year; having said that living in dublin is incredibly expensive. I THINK you are categorized into the free fees status if you hold a british passport and have reside in britian for the past 5 years or so, which was my case (or if you are an actual irish citizen)

Anyhow... best of luck with the application; and maybe i'll see you next year!

thank u so much billykwok! was really helpful. I'm also wondering if the 400 euros registration fee applies to applicants who might not get in? Does it apply to all applicants? Or do you pay that fee AFTER you get into the med course?

Also, are the irish unis that you've mentioned above harder to get into than the ones in England? (ie newcastle) As i'm having to fly to Ireland on the 14 Feb (if i were to apply) to do the HPAT test, and i'm not sure if it is worth the trip.

Lastly, is the HPAT test something i can revise for? Is it something like UKCAT/BMAT? What do you mean by "personality is taken into account" in that test?
Reply 38
thank u so much billykwok! was really helpful. I'm also wondering if the 400 euros registration fee applies to applicants who might not get in? Does it apply to all applicants? Or do you pay that fee AFTER you get into the med course?

Also, are the irish unis that you've mentioned above harder to get into than the ones in England? (ie newcastle) As i'm having to fly to Ireland on the 14 Feb (if i were to apply) to do the HPAT test, and i'm not sure if it is worth the trip.

Lastly, is the HPAT test something i can revise for? Is it something like UKCAT/BMAT? What do you mean by "personality is taken into account" in that test?
Apart from registering for the HPAT and paying the CAO fee you won't have to pay any money unless you're actually undertaking the course.

Latest

Trending

Trending