The Student Room Group
Reply 1
We're not doing your application form for you haha.
Reply 2
lol i work in KPMG audit, so u wont be doing that :-)
Reply 3
Ok then, well the main thing for me at KPMG tax was the business school. We get three months paid accommodation (twice a year afaik) in London or Edinburgh with dedicated, working teachers. It's like Uni but getting paid :biggrin:
Reply 4
I almost applied for tax here are some of my notes, Some of these are taken from TSR.

Tax legistaltion is dynamic and budgets are inconsistent

It's much more changeable than audit - you're not just going through the same routines year-on-year, but looking for new ways to apply ever-changing legislation, and understanding the changes introduced every year.

Add to that the fact that clients actually like what you do for them in tax (save them money ) - rather than look for their mistakes (a very simplified view of audit, I admit, but generally, clients don't enjoy being audited ) - and I'm quite happy to be working in tax.
If you prove yourself, it’s realistic to aim for management within two years. And, although you can stay within corporate tax, secondments in other areas of the business are encouraged to broaden your knowledge and experience.
1.challenging career to apply both quantitative and qualitative skills : tax is the best option
2 potential development within the firm very appealing : after completing ATT and CTA exams become a tax advisor / partner in Tax Group
3. huge opportunities within this career path
4. apply communications skills by explaining complicated tax compliance matters in simplified terms to clients
5. working with great attention to details while giving innovative advice to clients.

You get paid more in tax.
Reply 5
great input. repped!
Reply 6
Having landed a job in tax I still have no idea why I chose it.

I'm sorry; this isn't very constructive input. I'm feeling introspective.
Reply 7
tax doesnt have to be taxing
Tax is more varied than audit, less box ticking.
You have to read a lot of law, there are constant changes in tax law which make it more dynamic than audit.
Having said that, I'm a 2nd year and still feel like a complete skivvy the vast majority of the time - don't do accountancy!!!!
Reply 9
what are the salaries like say 5 year in to the job if you're in the corp tax department at a big4 firm?

Latest

Trending

Trending