The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

thecustardqueen
if u did part 1A and 1B of the medical tripos, this takes 2 yrs. If you then wanted to do part 2 in law (which i assume takes 2yrs?) - what is your degree called? if the degree is law, can you become a high court judge etc, or are you not qualified enough? it surely can't be considered the same as a 'full' law degree from cambridge or is it?

many thanks

p.s - i assume that this combo of law/medicine is allowed................
:thrasher:

hahaha
I think you had best read the prospectus.
Do you realise how much work goes into getting a full degree? its about the same as a medical degree.
Hence you still have years AFTER finishing your law degree.
If you were to do the medical BA then not go to clinicals, and instead doa claw conversion course (2 years) your would then be in the same position after a total of 5 years as the law grads.
Reply 2
As far as I'm aware, Cambridge degrees in specific subjects don't exist... you just get a degree then its up to you to tell anyone interested exactly what you did to get it. Regardless of what the degree is called, I don't think many people would be overly impressed with you spending two years doing the most expensive course to run there is only to give it up to become a lawyer. particularly when there are plently of people who do really want to become doctors yet can't get a place as med-school as it's so competitive.
Reply 3
i'm interested in this too, take a more likely example, part 1 maths then part II philosophy, what would your degree be? What would you study in your third year, the same as the third year philosophers? or would you do Part I philosophy courses?
Reply 4
fishpaste
i'm interested in this too, take a more likely example, part 1 maths then part II philosophy, what would your degree be? What would you study in your third year, the same as the third year philosophers? or would you do Part I philosophy courses?

To get a Cambridge degree, you need to pass a part I exam and a part II exam, so if you had done part I maths, you would then have to do part II philosophy.
Reply 5
Mop
To get a Cambridge degree, you need to pass a part I exam and a part II exam, so if you had done part I maths, you would then have to do part II philosophy.

ouch. so i presume very few people do like ...part II natsci, or part II maths without doing the partIs :P
Reply 6
thecustardqueen
if u did part 1A and 1B of the medical tripos, this takes 2 yrs. If you then wanted to do part 2 in law (which i assume takes 2yrs?) - what is your degree called? if the degree is law, can you become a high court judge etc, or are you not qualified enough? it surely can't be considered the same as a 'full' law degree from cambridge or is it?

many thanks

p.s - i assume that this combo of law/medicine is allowed................
:thrasher:

um i think im right in saying that to be a judge, you are generally a barrister beforehand (or v occasionally a solicitor) which means either:
qualifying law degree of some sort + BVC 1 year + pupillage 1 year + get a tenancy and be a barrister
or non law degree and a conversion course or something as well as the other training.
i think you can get all the 'qualifying' elements in 2 years of a law degree which means you can skip theory exams after university and go onto the bar vocational course.

its definitely not straight into working as a lawyer after a law degree anyway!

anyway maybe someone studying law can clarify...
Reply 7
fishpaste
ouch. so i presume very few people do like ...part II natsci, or part II maths without doing the partIs :P

Heard of people going into Part II NatSci from other Triposes.

Never heard of anyone going into Part II Maths from another Tripos. I think you would have to be quite exceptional to be allowed to do that! :eek:
Reply 8
Generally, your degree is whatever subject you did for Part 2. So my friend is doing Part 1 History but is swapping to Part 2 Law, and will leave with a degree in Law. Hope that makes sense/helps...
fishpaste

Cambridge its a BA.
That actually is all that is on the certificate.

I think the 'BA' is usually in what you studied in your final year (hence what u did your dissertation/project in)
Reply 10
I think some subjects, compsci for example, have a part II option specifically for those changing from another tripos which is more general in nature than the part II course those who did the subject for part I will do.
Reply 11
Mop
I think some subjects, compsci for example, have a part II option specifically for those changing from another tripos which is more general in nature than the part II course those who did the subject for part I will do.

Yeah, there's a part two general in compsci, which is approximately the difficulty level of part IB compsci. I believe you can also have a part II(G) natsci too.

A.
Alaric
Yeah, there's a part two general in compsci, which is approximately the difficulty level of part IB compsci. I believe you can also have a part II(G) natsci too.

A.

Yeah. Looks like it's aimed at chemists and physicists though; I think you have to offer a 'special subject' in one of them. I might be wrong though; haven't looked at it too hard because I'm hoping not to be in that situation!
Reply 13
shiny

Never heard of anyone going into Part II Maths from another Tripos. I think you would have to be quite exceptional to be allowed to do that! :eek:

I think it's reasonably common for physicists to do part III of the maths tripos though.
Reply 14
It is done very carefully and specifically from what I've read, and you would probably have to say that your degree was a combination. My example is oriental studies; if you switch to it you would do part 1 in year 2 and combine bits of part 1 and part 2 for your final year.
Reply 15
MadNatSci
Yeah. Looks like it's aimed at chemists and physicists though; I think you have to offer a 'special subject' in one of them. I might be wrong though; haven't looked at it too hard because I'm hoping not to be in that situation!

No one wants to be in the General slot... We all want Part III don't we. :wink:
Camford
No one wants to be in the General slot... We all want Part III don't we. :wink:

I can't have Part III now. But I still don't want General :biggrin:
Is entry to the Part II and III options based on numbers or just on your own individual marks? What I mean is, could someone go and get perfectly acceptable marks, but be unable to do Part III Physics or whatever because it is oversubscribed that year?
hitchhiker_13
Is entry to the Part II and III options based on numbers or just on your own individual marks? What I mean is, could someone go and get perfectly acceptable marks, but be unable to do Part III Physics or whatever because it is oversubscribed that year?

Erm, I don't think so actually. Part II Experimental and Theoretical Physics has unlimited numbers (guess who's been looking up Part II stats) and I don't think you're competing against other people to get onto Part III.

In fact I've just looked it up: http://www.phy.cam.ac.uk/teaching/II_2004-2005.pdf
Mop

um, no you dont. actually, you only need 2 qualifying parts (can be just IA and IB for certain subjects) and 3 years residency to get a degree.
Also, as has been said, the degree is a BA. You don't get an overall grade or overall subject, just a BA degree, with an additional piece of paper telling you your grade and subject for each part.

Latest

Trending

Trending