The Student Room Group

Re-applying

Right I'm sure there must have been some topic on this already, but I don't care, I'm starting a new one.

I just got my rejection letter after the pool today. I'd been preparing myself for it since the pool letter on the 2nd. Not really surprised. Also I'm not looking for "awww, don't worry about it, you'll love it at X university" responses.

Basically, I was wondering if it's worth my while re-applying. I was, and still am to an extent, so desperate to go to Cambridge. I only have one offer so far, from Bath, my 4th choice. Durham is 2nd, UCL 3rd and Birmingham 5th.

The positives of Cambridge are obvious, and I'm not gonna go through them. There are benefits to a gap year, like increased life experience, opportunity to make yourself a better candidate with a more varied personal statement. Especially with languages, a gap year abroad is a great idea.

Also, I'm not entirely sure whether I want to go elsewhere. Durham and UCL are both great unis, with great international reputations. I've never visited Durham, but I hear it's great, while I liked UCL when I was at the Open Day, and I've got an interview on the 21st. I liked Bath and my brother was there as well, and he said that he loved it, while Birmingham was a rush decision about 3 days before my application needed to be in and I'm not overly keen on it.

On the other hand, not reapplying means that I go to one of the Russell Group, get a degree that's literally almost as good as Cambridge's would be and have fun at university. Lots of you Cambridge students will say that it's not all work, but let's face it, you do masses.

Bearing in mind that I'm probably still bitter about the rejection, subconsciously though, because I won't admit that I am. Am I being irrational in reapplying, or would it be a sensible option? Is this just me being ridiculous and bitter, or is it reasonable? Also, despite posting this in the Cambridge forum, what would Oxford's views be on me applying there if I took a year out?

Scroll to see replies

get feedback on your application to see what needs improving.

then spend your gap year improving it. as your applying to do a language, try move out there for at least part of the year. that'll probably impress uni's and it will greatly improve your language skills which will impress them at interview
Reply 2
If you're really really set on going then yeah, take a gap year and reapply if you want. But... I also think that some people get too het up on going to Oxbridge. Yes, of course Cambridge is wonderful but so are others. UCL and Durham aren't that far behind in reputation and are fantastic unis. They too are considered top unis as well as Cambridge.

Also, you have to consider (without meaning to sound horrible here!)...if you didn't get in this year is it likely you'll get in next year?

However, think about it properly, wait and see if you get offers from the others you've applied for and really think about it. Do what you feel is right.
There's no point considering reapplying untill you've seen your feedback. If it's reasonably positive, and you think you can improve on the things they didn't like, then it might be worth reapplying. Particularly if you're doing languages, spending a gap year abroad is a good idea.

Oxford wouldn't know that you were rejected from Cambridge unless you told them (and you're under no obligation to do that). A decent number of applicants are post-A2, and I would imagine it would be particularly common for languages. So long as you're doing something appropriate in your gap year, I don't think it would seem abnormal.

If your feedback is decent, you could defer entry to any other universities you get into and plan a gap year. Then, if your grades are good enough this summer (and you still want to), you can withdraw and reapply to universities. It's a risk, but I took it and I got another offer from last year's firm, so they won't necessarily hold it against you.
Reply 4
Thanks for the input guys.

hannah.
If you're really really set on going then yeah, take a gap year and reapply if you want. But... I also think that some people get too het up on going to Oxbridge. Yes, of course Cambridge is wonderful but so are others. UCL and Durham aren't that far behind in reputation and are fantastic unis. They too are considered top unis as well as Cambridge.

Also, you have to consider (without meaning to sound horrible here!)...if you didn't get in this year is it likely you'll get in next year?

However, think about it properly, wait and see if you get offers from the others you've applied for and really think about it. Do what you feel is right.

That's why it seems a bit silly to take a year out and then to reapply if the result is the same. If I get a UCL or Durham offer, I'd get a great degree as well. Don't worry about sounding harsh, it's a fair comment and it's a thought I've had myself.

didgeridoo12uk
get feedback on your application to see what needs improving.

then spend your gap year improving it. as your applying to do a language, try move out there for at least part of the year. that'll probably impress uni's and it will greatly improve your language skills which will impress them at interview

I will get feedback if I have to go up there and demand it myself. Also, does anyone have any ideas for what to do during a gap year? Teaching assistants maybe?

StandingOnAir
There's no point considering reapplying untill you've seen your feedback. If it's reasonably positive, and you think you can improve on the things they didn't like, then it might be worth reapplying. Particularly if you're doing languages, spending a gap year abroad is a good idea.

Oxford wouldn't know that you were rejected from Cambridge unless you told them (and you're under no obligation to do that). A decent number of applicants are post-A2, and I would imagine it would be particularly common for languages. So long as you're doing something appropriate in your gap year, I don't think it would seem abnormal.

If your feedback is decent, you could defer entry to any other universities you get into and plan a gap year. Then, if your grades are good enough this summer (and you still want to), you can withdraw and reapply to universities. It's a risk, but I took it and I got another offer from last year's firm, so they won't necessarily hold it against you.

Would Oxford not suss it out - he's taken his exams, but didn't go to uni. He's not applied here before, but seems to have been given plenty of support with his application, something not uncommon with Oxbridge applicants.
How would it be common for languages?

Did you get an offer from this time round, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 5
It's not uncommon for people to be rejected from one and then apply to the other. There's a space on your UCAS form for your previous UCAS number if you are going through the system again, but it did me no harm. Either way, you aren't in a position to make a decision until you have feedback. I'd also advise waiting a couple of months to see how you feel about the situation then, as like you said, you are feeling bitter right now.

You need to think very carefully before giving up any other offers you have on the table, as there is no guarantee you will be made them again next year.
Reply 6
Hey Commando. I got rejected too (got my email back). So, I'll probably be reapplying also. Do you have any idea which college you will apply to?
My friend did what you did last year, but with Oxford.
He got rejected again, even though he has 5 As at Alevel.
Reply 8
Pinball_heart

I know someone who got rejected from Oxford this year also, and he had applied to Cambridge the previous year (with 4A's at A2 and 6A*'s at GCSE). However, he got rejected, never pooled. I think the fact Commando got pooled is suggestive that he is worthy of a Cambridge place. Giving it another go can do no harm - unless you take it badly. What is a year? Plus, the experience you can get in that one year is unbelievable.
commando
Would Oxford not suss it out - he's taken his exams, but didn't go to uni. He's not applied here before, but seems to have been given plenty of support with his application, something not uncommon with Oxbridge applicants.
How would it be common for languages?

Did you get an offer from this time round, if you don't mind me asking?

It's not only reapplicants that apply during a gap year. Some people get better A level results than they were expecting, and decide to take a year out and apply to Oxbridge. Some people just want to do it all after their exams are out of the way. All Oxbridge applicants are going to put a decent amount of effort into their application, so yours won't stand out.

I meant that it's common for people who take languages to do a gap year, because it means you get to travel and practice.

I did get an offer from Oxford, yes. (And Cambridge didn't even pool me.) But as other people have pointed out, lots of people reapply only to get rejected again, so make sure that's something you would be able to deal with.
commando
Right I'm sure there must have been some topic on this already, but I don't care, I'm starting a new one.

I just got my rejection letter after the pool today. I'd been preparing myself for it since the pool letter on the 2nd. Not really surprised. Also I'm not looking for "awww, don't worry about it, you'll love it at X university" responses.

Basically, I was wondering if it's worth my while re-applying. I was, and still am to an extent, so desperate to go to Cambridge. I only have one offer so far, from Bath, my 4th choice. Durham is 2nd, UCL 3rd and Birmingham 5th.

The positives of Cambridge are obvious, and I'm not gonna go through them. There are benefits to a gap year, like increased life experience, opportunity to make yourself a better candidate with a more varied personal statement. Especially with languages, a gap year abroad is a great idea.

Also, I'm not entirely sure whether I want to go elsewhere. Durham and UCL are both great unis, with great international reputations. I've never visited Durham, but I hear it's great, while I liked UCL when I was at the Open Day, and I've got an interview on the 21st. I liked Bath and my brother was there as well, and he said that he loved it, while Birmingham was a rush decision about 3 days before my application needed to be in and I'm not overly keen on it.

On the other hand, not reapplying means that I go to one of the Russell Group, get a degree that's literally almost as good as Cambridge's would be and have fun at university. Lots of you Cambridge students will say that it's not all work, but let's face it, you do masses.

Bearing in mind that I'm probably still bitter about the rejection, subconsciously though, because I won't admit that I am. Am I being irrational in reapplying, or would it be a sensible option? Is this just me being ridiculous and bitter, or is it reasonable? Also, despite posting this in the Cambridge forum, what would Oxford's views be on me applying there if I took a year out?

My best friend was in a similar situation (and I guess I am in a way too): she got rejected from Cambridge and Edinburgh (the only 2 places she ever wanted to go to), but didn't want the other offers she had gotten (Birmingham, Leeds, Bath I think).
[I think her predicted grades did kinda get in her way: she was predicted between AAB and BBC, fluctuating all the time, but eventually got her 3As.]
She applied for Languages, so in the end, after a lot of thought (she didn't decide what to actually do till June or July-ish) she turned down all of her offers, and went to Germany working on a gap year. She reapplied to Cam/Edin (don't know her outcome yet but fingers crossed!), as well as a few back-ups.
So, yeah, I guess my advice is
1) get feedback from your college: at least you'll know what exactly they thought
2)think about it. Properly.: don't make any rash 'argh I've been rejected I must get in' decisions - think about it. Durham/Bath/etc. are all great universities - go visit them, talk to people there, get a feel for it.
3) if you really want to take a gap year, start researching for something good soon: my friend couldn't find anything good for ages, which almost put her off a gap year, but then she found the perfect placement.
:smile:
commando
I will get feedback if I have to go up there and demand it myself. Also, does anyone have any ideas for what to do during a gap year? Teaching assistants maybe?

There are so many other opportunities:
- au pairs
- I know someone who did work experience with a multinational law firm working with translations
- British Council placements (don't know when deadlines are)
- depends on the languages but there's group like the Goethe Project (I think that's the name) that can help you find something interesting...
johnbrown
Sort of off topic but not really. I see in your sig your at uni now but considering reapplying - how do you go about that? Theoretically, if I got to uni and really hated it, I could drop out and reapply? What about funding and stuff? And what do universities think about it?

Umm...I'm still looking into that, but my plan so far is to talk to my personal tutor at university (I need their permission to reapply since I'm already at uni); then if they say 'yes', I'm either going to ask him for help, or go back to my school and ask them for help (they're only down the road, plus they were so supportive the first time round).
I'm not planning on dropping out right now, I want to try to apply while I'm still here (my sister's friend did that), not sure how that works...
I'm guessing you'd have to come up with a pretty good excuse to defend you reasons if you're asked about it.
Reply 13
Nina
It's not uncommon for people to be rejected from one and then apply to the other. There's a space on your UCAS form for your previous UCAS number if you are going through the system again, but it did me no harm. Either way, you aren't in a position to make a decision until you have feedback. I'd also advise waiting a couple of months to see how you feel about the situation then, as like you said, you are feeling bitter right now.

You need to think very carefully before giving up any other offers you have on the table, as there is no guarantee you will be made them again next year.

Yep, but you had extenuating circumstances. I'm just not happy about it. I will wait to see if I get other offers. If I get rejected by Durham and UCL, I may reapply.

Academix
Hey Commando. I got rejected too (got my email back). So, I'll probably be reapplying also. Do you have any idea which college you will apply to?

Sorry to hear it. I removed myself from the pool thread shortly after I posted in there. Erm, if any it would be Jesus probably. I originally wanted to apply there, but my school is so controlling in every aspect of my life (plus the teachers in charge probably get some form of bonus if they get loads of us in). How about you?

Pinball_heart

As has been said, it's by no means a certain thing, even with 5 As. Friend of a friend had 6 As and got rejected.

Academix
I know someone who got rejected from Oxford this year also, and he had applied to Cambridge the previous year (with 4A's at A2 and 6A*'s at GCSE). However, he got rejected, never pooled. I think the fact Commando got pooled is suggestive that he is worthy of a Cambridge place. Giving it another go can do no harm - unless you take it badly. What is a year? Plus, the experience you can get in that one year is unbelievable.

Alas, if only the fact that we were pooled means that we are good enough. We fall below the "we'll take them" line and above the "nope" line, in this emotional, prison-like limbo. If anything, being pooled has made me want to reapply more. They've said they think that I would be a good candidate, but you can never judge the competition.

johnbrown
If you were pooled it indicates they think you were good enough. Is that knowledge not enough for you? What is it in your life that you can't possibly do without Cambridge? It doesn't hinder your chances that much...

I'm not really sure what I want to do, but it's likely to be joining the Foreign Office. If I want to get anywhere there, a Cambridge degree is going to help a lot.

StandingOnAir
It's not only reapplicants that apply during a gap year. Some people get better A level results than they were expecting, and decide to take a year out and apply to Oxbridge. Some people just want to do it all after their exams are out of the way. All Oxbridge applicants are going to put a decent amount of effort into their application, so yours won't stand out.

I meant that it's common for people who take languages to do a gap year, because it means you get to travel and practice.

I did get an offer from Oxford, yes. (And Cambridge didn't even pool me.) But as other people have pointed out, lots of people reapply only to get rejected again, so make sure that's something you would be able to deal with.

Ah ye, I'm not really thinking clearly at the moment, oddly.

I came across quite hostile there, sorry. I see your point.

Good luck at Oxford. I don't know that I would be able to deal with another rejection, it would seem like a waste of a year.
Reply 14
Mathy, Ace from Space
My best friend was in a similar situation (and I guess I am in a way too): she got rejected from Cambridge and Edinburgh (the only 2 places she ever wanted to go to), but didn't want the other offers she had gotten (Birmingham, Leeds, Bath I think).
[I think her predicted grades did kinda get in her way: she was predicted between AAB and BBC, fluctuating all the time, but eventually got her 3As.]
She applied for Languages, so in the end, after a lot of thought (she didn't decide what to actually do till June or July-ish) she turned down all of her offers, and went to Germany working on a gap year. She reapplied to Cam/Edin (don't know her outcome yet but fingers crossed!), as well as a few back-ups.
So, yeah, I guess my advice is
1) get feedback from your college: at least you'll know what exactly they thought
2)think about it. Properly.: don't make any rash 'argh I've been rejected I must get in' decisions - think about it. Durham/Bath/etc. are all great universities - go visit them, talk to people there, get a feel for it.
3) if you really want to take a gap year, start researching for something good soon: my friend couldn't find anything good for ages, which almost put her off a gap year, but then she found the perfect placement.

1. I promise I will not do anything until I get feedback...
2. ...and wait and think about it more clearly. I know that they're great unis and I'm happy to get offers. It's just not the same as a Cambridge offer.
3. I'll get on it, tomorrow.

Mathy, Ace from Space
There are so many other opportunities:
- au pairs
- I know someone who did work experience with a multinational law firm working with translations
- British Council placements (don't know when deadlines are)
- depends on the languages but there's group like the Goethe Project (I think that's the name) that can help you find something interesting...

- As far as I know, you almost certainly have to be female to become an au pair. Otherwise you need experience working with children, which I don't have.
- That could work, perhaps not for law, but for some other business.
- I'll have to research those.
- I don't know of any for French, but I will have a look.

Thanks for the ideas and help in general. To both you and everyone else.
commando

But what happens if you get rejected a second time doesn't it hurt more?

Why can't you do your masters or PHD at cambridge
If your hearts set on Cambridge go for it.
But if you are Oxbridge material don't go to Bath because I was under the illusion that it wasn't a very good uni (except for engineering).

What do you want to study?
commando
1. I promise I will not do anything until I get feedback...
2. ...and wait and think about it more clearly. I know that they're great unis and I'm happy to get offers. It's just not the same as a Cambridge offer.
3. I'll get on it, tomorrow.

- As far as I know, you almost certainly have to be female to become an au pair. Otherwise you need experience working with children, which I don't have.
- That could work, perhaps not for law, but for some other business.
- I'll have to research those.
- I don't know of any for French, but I will have a look.

Thanks for the ideas and help in general. To both you and everyone else.

Haha, sorry I was on a roll with the suggestions and forgot to see if you were a girl or a guy :p:
Ask one of your teachers, I know my Spanish teachers and the German dept at my school were extremely helpful with ideas.
Also, if you can find some sort of maybe part-time job, you might be able to find funding to take a course at a local college/uni in France or wherever you go...
Reply 18
MathsStudent
But what happens if you get rejected a second time doesn't it hurt more?

Why can't you do your masters or PHD at cambridge

Ye it would, that's another consideration.

That was also a thought, they have an MPhil in Russian Studies that interests me. Although, I believe that getting a first degree is more prestigious, in that the competition is far harder.
commando
Yep, but you had extenuating circumstances. I'm just not happy about it. I will wait to see if I get other offers. If I get rejected by Durham and UCL, I may reapply.

I'm not really sure what I want to do, but it's likely to be joining the Foreign Office. If I want to get anywhere there, a Cambridge degree is going to help a lot.

The circumstances are irrelevant, dozens of people do it every year.

As for the Foreign Office, you don't need a Cambridge degree for that. Main way to get there is via the FastStream programme, which you can do from any university, and the application process very much focuses on your skills and experience, not where you went to university. If that is one of your motivations for reapplying, forget it.

Latest

Trending

Trending