The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Good bloke
Are you sure you want to study language and literature at Cambridge? You demonstrate no language skills in your A levels (surely a factor in your rejection), have some of your worst results in literature, and think that Jane Austen, one of the simpler and more accessible (and, therefore, highly popular) nineteenth century writers, is a convoluted writer. None of these factors augurs well.

You may have a bit of a start by having an oriental family background, but Oxford and Cambridge may well not consider this a good demonstration of your academic potential. I'm unconvinced that the year's delay would be a good investment for you.

History and English Literature provide me with transferable skills in regards to language learning.

Plus, that's not to say I don't learn languages: I just didn't pursue them at A Level. I can speak French, Japanese and German (albeit no way near degree level) and can get by in Swedish and Cantonese.

To be honest, my highest grades have ALWAYS come in literature. The only problem was that Jane Austen brought me down. In my other literature modules I got much higher grades, it was only with the Jane Austen / Sonnets paper that I faced trouble, and that was mostly because I really found Austen abhorrent as a writer. I'm allowed my own opinion!
Rai
I'm allowed my own opinion!

Don't you start - I didn't say you weren't.

I didn't say that you couldn't learn languages. My point was that you don't have an academic record that demonstrates it.
Reply 62
Good bloke
Don't you start - I didn't say you weren't.

I didn't say that you couldn't learn languages. My point was that you don't have an academic record that demonstrates it.

I agree. I did get an A* at French at GCSE though.

To be honest, I've pretty much got my heart set on reapplying. My real questions are whether or not it's worth giving Cambridge a shot even though my ASs have a few B grade modules (as opposed to reapplying to Oxford), and whether its worth retaking the B modules even though I got an A overall for my other courses.
Reply 63
Rai
I agree. I did get an A* at French at GCSE though.

To be honest, I've pretty much got my heart set on reapplying. My real questions are whether or not it's worth giving Cambridge a shot even though my ASs have a few B grade modules (as opposed to reapplying to Oxford), and whether its worth retaking the B modules even though I got an A overall for my other courses.

Good luck! Hope you make it!
Reply 64
Academix
Good luck! Hope you make it!

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 65
Rai
History and English Literature provide me with transferable skills in regards to language learning.

Plus, that's not to say I don't learn languages: I just didn't pursue them at A Level. I can speak French, Japanese and German (albeit no way near degree level) and can get by in Swedish and Cantonese.

As people have said, you don't really show that you can speak languages. Also, the requirement at Cambridge at least, AFAIK, is that you have one language at "Post A2 or equivalent", which you don't.

Although if you are going to reapply, good luck. Cambridge is a much better university than Oxford, I'd go there. (That was not a serious comment people)
Reply 66
commando
As people have said, you don't really show that you can speak languages. Also, the requirement at Cambridge at least, AFAIK, is that you have one language at "Post A2 or equivalent", which you don't.

Although if you are going to reapply, good luck. Cambridge is a much better university than Oxford, I'd go there. (That was not a serious comment people)

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/ames/requirements.html

Mostly directed to you and "Good Bloke"

"No particular subjects at A level (or equivalent) are required for the Asian and Middle Eastern Studies course. All Oriental languages are taught from scratch, so there is no requirement for any previous knowledge of them. Although a language at A level is not essential, we do look for evidence of ability to learn languages, since this is such a central part of our courses. The courses are, however, about much more than just the languages. We therefore seek a range of skills and aptitudes in addition to language learning. This means that our courses may not be suitable for people who already have a thorough knowledge of the language in both its spoken and written forms. However, this should in no way discourage you from spending some time in the relevant country, and/or learning some of the language, if that is what you are considering.

See also Entrance requirements for additional advice about general requirements for entry, qualifications and offers."
Rai
we do look for evidence of ability to learn languages, since this is such a central part of our courses.

Do you feel you demonstrate this in your application?
Reply 68
I think I did in my PS and in my interview. At my second interview at Pembroke, we dipped in and out of Korean, Chinese, Japanese and English, talking about the differences in the grammar between all of them, with little help from the tutor. I don't really think that was a major factor in my rejection.

Thinking back to all the awkward things I said in the Hertford interview, the fact that I said I wasn't interested in classical Japanese texts and that I admitted I really didn't research the course are most prominent.

Latest

Trending

Trending