The Student Room Group

Quitting duke of edinburgh??

Hi, well im currently doing the DoE at direct gold level but really don't enjoy it. I have only been on one experdition- a silver practise and found i have no interest in camping what so ever. I'm also finding really hard to motivate my self to go to the weekly meetings.

However i know the DoE is a good thing to have on a cv and be able to say you have done it, to future employers.

What im asking is whether it is worth keeping it up bearing in mind i'd have to do another 3 epiditions to get the gold award:frown: (as well as all the other sections).

Scroll to see replies

No one cares if you have it, it's pretty worthless.
Reply 2
DoE is for little children, like Y9, it's a load of rubbish personally. Do what you want though, why ask us, we are mere strangers to your life...
Reply 3
alowe
once you're in the real world no one will care about D of E so don't worry about employers caring about it. its not even an issue for universities i have 5 offers from good universities and my brother is at oxford, neither of us have done D of E or anything similar.
if you don't like it quit.

yeah, that is what i was sort of thinking especially now, as i have the offer from the university i want to go to.
Reply 4
Thoust™
DoE is for little children, like Y9, it's a load of rubbish personally. Do what you want though, why ask us, we are mere strangers to your life...

i just wanted to know if it has any real world value, which it seems it doesn't which is good for me then.
Reply 5
I started it, never completed it, wrote it on my CV. Got a job, and into uni.

Life is too short to not cheat your way through :awesome:
Reply 6
I started it. But I quit it very early on due to not having the time.
But you're quite far into it, I didn't even get bronze.
It may not mean anything to them but it will mean something to you. I would just prove to yourself that you can complete it and hang in there.

If it really is bad then quit.
But quitters never win and winners never quit.
I really regret quitting it.
Reply 7
phoenixx
i just wanted to know if it has any real world value, which it seems it doesn't which is good for me then.

TIP: Do not get opinions from TSR as they are 99.9% baised because nearly all TSR-ians are in the top 10% of the UK's clever or academic individuals.
Reply 8
phoenixx

However i know the DoE is a good thing to have on a cv and be able to say you have done it, to future employers.

Nah, employers and universities don't care at all.
Reply 9
Thoust&#8482
TIP: Do not get opinions from TSR as they are 99.9% baised because nearly all TSR-ians are in the top 10% of the UK's clever or academic individuals.

or about 14, and so probably don't have a lot of experience with what you're lookign for.
Saying that, I'd agree with most of the opinions here, I just did it because it wasn't any real effort, didn't think it would help stuff particularly.
I love D of E, but it's a lot of hard work if you're not enjoying it. Maybe have one last go and see if you like it second time round? If not, quit and take up something you might enjoy more like volunteering.
I've finished the expeditions, they were HELL, and so not worth it! What's more I still have the bloody service, residential, and volunteering to do! It's just a waste of time and energy, employers won't look at it and hire you because of that!
Reply 12
josht111
Hey **** you. I got Bronze, Silver, PEG and Gold.

I've spent the last 4 years doing community service, sport, residentials and academic courses. ASWELL as 6 expeditions, and 2 wild camp expeditions in the lakes for 6 days. Its worth a HELL of a lot. Think of how much character it shows, determination, commitment, intelligence. How dare you say its not worth anything.

If it's not for you, then quit.

PEG?
Also, it might've taken character for you, but there are some people for who doing DoE didn't change much for them(I was like this), so it's hard to put a set value on it, so I figure more people than you'd like ignore it.
Although if it was the only deciding factor between two people, having it might help.
i think its fun cuz im with my friends but if you dont enjoy it then maybe quit. and it depends wat you're gonna do after uni, if its something ecological-
and you have the offer from the uni you want to go to then thats FIIIINE
quit but in a nice way :biggrin:
Reply 14
crazylemon
Thanks will +rep :smile:
Yeah DofE was a big part of my life (hope I get asked to help out with the Golds/Silvers at my school again :biggrin:)

:yy:
I got my bronze, silver and gold and for me it was definitely worthwhile and enjoyable on the whole. However if you really don't enjoy it I wouldn't bother.
josht111
Hey **** you. I got Bronze, Silver, PEG and Gold.

I've spent the last 4 years doing community service, sport, residentials and academic courses. ASWELL as 6 expeditions, and 2 wild camp expeditions in the lakes for 6 days. Its worth a HELL of a lot. Think of how much character it shows, determination, commitment, intelligence. How dare you say its not worth anything.

If it's not for you, then quit.

This. ^^
Reply 17
crazylemon
Sorry to be stupid but what is PEG? just finnished gold (handed book in) have no idea what it means

Is that not what you use to keep your tent in the ground?

OP, stick it out, get it done. Wish I finished mine.
Reply 18
running_with_scissors
I've finished the expeditions, they were HELL, and so not worth it! What's more I still have the bloody service, residential, and volunteering to do! It's just a waste of time and energy, employers won't look at it and hire you because of that!

Bloody careerists.^

OP: If you're only doing it to further your potential career then I imagine it's not worth it. If you enjoy a challenge and the sense of personal pride and fulfillment you should carry on.
Reply 19
crazylemon
:rofl: I'm not THAT stupid.

:dontknow:

Latest

Trending

Trending